Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Saw this in the classifieds...????? >

Saw this in the classifieds...?????

Notices

Saw this in the classifieds...?????

Old 05-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Saw this in the classifieds...?????

Originally Posted by t500hps
That must be Fred's boat......trailer is great for walking around the boat since it never gets off the trailer anyway!!!
It's not nice to pick on old guys.......

Even if it is the truth.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by High Desert
The bumper actually works very well. With the rear section of the diamond plate lifted or removed you just have to trim / move the drives up over the bumper and it launches as well as it would without the bumper in place. With the rear diamond plate deck in place you can load your stuff in the boat and easily access the rear pad for loading and unloading. The props are very sharp so I put that section of the diamond plate close to the props to try to avoid loosing any toes but it is removable. I do a lot of driving at night to and from the lake and wanted to not only protect the drives, make getting in and out of the boat easier but light it up at night as well.

As for the two into one exhaust - I can only tell you that originally it exited through the swim platform that I assume was original. It was very broken up, very heavy, and we removed it a year or two ago but left the rest (what you can see) alone. The holes are glassed in where the exhaust comes out so I had not worried much about water or rot. I believe it has been that way since Wellcraft built it. As for a reduction in power… I don’t know since it is the only exhaust the boat has had and this is my only experience with twin engine boats such as this.
High Desert - I like the idea of the "walk-around" trailer, sure would make it easy to load the boat. From the pics, I can't tell where it removes.
The exhaust still looks a little funky to me.

Don't think I'm giving ya a WTF, just saw something I've never seen and wanted to ask a few questions.

Good Luck selling her.
Spud's to you!
Old 05-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TRICK
It's not nice to pick on old guys.......

Even if it is the truth.
Yeah, don't pick on the Burger King boy...
Old 05-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a used Chris Cat with Y pipes behind two 557 ci normally asperated BB's and the sound was really nice and needed NO mufflers. Have also heard a pair of Illmors with a pair of Y pipes custom build by IMCO for Bob Leach. Makes you want to buy a new boat with V-10's just for the sound...
Old 05-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wobble
2 into one wont necessarily lose hp, if it's big enough, there are benefits to be had hp wise just as there is with a balance pipe or crossover on any hi perf motor.

Probably not the case here
Paleface exhaust:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-7543.html
Attached Thumbnails Saw this in the classifieds...?????-paleface-2.jpg   Saw this in the classifieds...?????-paleface-1.jpg  
Old 05-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem at all and certainly no offense taken Bouyhunter. I am trying to learn as much about this sport as possible and it isn't easy up here in Idaho. FYI - there is only one other Boat / Baja in the area and I can't figure out who owns it here in Boise so I go it alone.

The center section is about 5 foot across and it is currently screwed in place. It takes about 5 minutes to remove before I slide the boat off. My longer range plan was to put piano hinge on the trailing edge of the diamond plate and let it fold 180 degrees or more aft of the last stringer it is attached to. That would get it out of the way quickly and easier than what I am doing now. I like designing things and building them out of steel or aluminum. If you like, check out my tow rig in the classifieds under 97 Freightliner and you'll see what I mean. Now that was a project, more than a year, and was completed with the help of some great friends and a great local fabrication facility.

The exhaust is not nearly as nice as others posted. It seems the conservative / cheap way to exit it out the previously installed swim step and below the water line. It killed the noise around the docks and had a little (very little) roar once up and going. I always wanted to dual each motor with new manifolds but the boat was a project to start with and the $$ went elsewhere before the exhaust. What do you think of just taking the exhaust straight from the manifolds out the back of the boat. I wouldn't expect much HP benefit. Would you?
Old 05-27-2006, 07:54 AM
Registered

I forgot how the exhaust exited on those Scarabs (thru the platform).

Are the Formula's that have the thru-platform exhaust set up the same way?
As far as going straight back - that's what I'm used to seeing.
I don't imagine it would make a big difference in HP, but, admitedly, I'm not one to claim any real knowledge of performance engines.

Would this create a difference in back pressure to each side of the engine? Is there any difference caused by the distance the exhaust travels before exiting the boat?
Old 05-27-2006, 08:04 AM
Registered

I forgot how the exhaust exited on those Scarabs (thru the platform).

Are the Formula's that have the thru-platform exhaust set up the same way?
As far as going straight back - that's what I'm used to seeing.
I don't imagine it would make a big difference in HP, but, admitedly, I'm not one to claim any real knowledge of performance engines.

Would this create a difference in back pressure to each side of the engine? Is there any difference caused by the distance the exhaust travels before exiting the boat?