Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Jones Beach Air Show and Fleet Week, anyone interested? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/131070-jones-beach-air-show-fleet-week-anyone-interested.html)

Vinny P 05-26-2006 06:11 PM

Re: Jones Beach Air Show and Fleet Week, anyone interested?

Originally Posted by Baddogg
When I S The Air Show?? Where Is A Good Place To See (on Land)

If you want to go by car, you would have to get to Jones Beach parking field 4,5 or 6.. The show is centered right at the flag pole between the golf course and the old Beach restaurant ( thats not there anymore) Basically, the show is centered at the traffic circle at Ocean parkway and Wantagh parkway. I am going to be in Zachs bay, just across Ocean parkway .
I may go by car tomorrow to get closer to the action.

http://www.jonesbeachairshow.com/

Fleet week is definetly this weekend. I work for the NYPD. I called the cities Harbor unit today. I was a bit concerned that they would have the Hudson closed off and not allow us up close. I was told that the Hudson is open for everyone. They are enforcing only a 100 yard perimeter around the ships. Thats close enough to get a good look at those huge ships.

http://www.newyorkled.com/nyc_events_Fleet_Week.htm

Chris,
I'll see you Sunday at Zachs. Johnny D. is going, along with at least 3 others as well.

tripps 05-26-2006 10:02 PM

Some of the S+F boys are goin to another spot,check out there site,general discussion,theres a nice map of where we will be tripps

CBR 05-29-2006 10:43 PM

Hey Tripps, hope you had a great view of the Blue Angels. I think I may have zipped by a couple of your group waiting to assemble in the SBC. Was lucky to get a great spot in Zachs, rafted up to several of the OSO crew boats. Compared bow structural standards......how much they vibrated when standing on them as a Blue Angel blasted by with afterburners on. <gg>

JCPERF 05-29-2006 10:56 PM

Byrdman and myself went out in the ocean in Joe Sgro's 28 Skater to watch the air show.It was very cool. :cool:

CBR 05-29-2006 11:15 PM

Glad you had a chance to enjoy the show JC and all others who made it by sea or land.

Anyone know the nose art name of the B-17 and where it was from/history?

DJD 05-30-2006 07:32 AM

Great show! Thanks again for the heads up. My first time to Jones Beach & I couldn't believe it was only a 45 min drive from Greenwich CT.

CBR 05-30-2006 11:35 AM

Glad you enjoyed it, we were very close to the beach, you should have thrown a dead bluerunner or something at us. I drive every weekend from northern NJ, it also takes me only 30 to 40 minutes if the traffic flow is timed correctly.

Vinny P 05-30-2006 07:44 PM

Hey Chris,

I enjoyed the company as much as the show. You and Jane are very cool. Your boating experiences are second to none. I only wish I got around as much as you do. Love to hear about your experiences in the Keys.
I think we had the fastest raft up going in Zachs that day. The 5 of us had the place covered and I had the 5 of us covered.. :evilb: :evilb: I didnt see anyone that came close. After the show, getting out of there was an experience I dont want to repeat again. The low tide only amplified the problems.
Yesterday, I didnt make it to the Hudson. Went east instead, ran to Robert Moses via the ocean. Conditions were great. My bigggest problem was my lifeline jacket rubbing through my sunburned shoulders.

Vinny

Here's Johnny 05-30-2006 08:22 PM

Vinny......your not kidding about the sunburn......I burnt the hell out of my back from standing and looking up the whole time......

Vinny P 05-30-2006 08:26 PM

Johnny,
I am sitting on my couch with a towel on my back sucking up the oooze thats coming out of my shoulders. :eek:
I had Grovers block me up yesterday. I changed my drive lube. So far, it looks good. I guess I set-up the drive right. Not bad for my first one. If it breaks now, it isnt because I set it up wrong.

I am still a bit upset that Chris didnt pull a small car out of his cabin. He had just about everything else!!

I am still laughing about that guy with the SS Minnow and the captains shirt!!