Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
"Loud, Fast and Politically Incorrect"  WSJ today!! >

"Loud, Fast and Politically Incorrect" WSJ today!!

Notices

"Loud, Fast and Politically Incorrect" WSJ today!!

Old 05-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: "Loud, Fast and Politically Incorrect" WSJ today!!

Here's what I sent:

Ms. Karp,
Your article on offshore powerboats appears to lack a significant amount of research. Much of it is either slanted truths, half truths, or no truth at all.
For starters, the entire article refers to performance boats as "Cigarette boats." Surely in your research you learned that Cigarette is one manufacturer of this type of boat, did you not? If your article were about the photocopy industry, would you refer to all machines as "Xerox machines?"
Offshore powerboat racing came to the US in 1973? Not even close.
And how about the comments on the wakes, and the subsequent damage they cause. Did you do any research on the size of wakes created by boats other than "Cigarette boats?" Apparently not. Large cruisers and sportfishing boats create far larger and more damaging wakes, and those types of boats are on the waterways in much larger numbers.
Manatees? Do you believe that manatees are impervious to all other types of propellors, other than those found on performance boats?
Did you check to see how many other forms of motorsports use mufflers on the vehicles? Did you do any checking with builders of engines for offshore race boats to see if mufflers are even feasible?
Is the noise of a few hours of racing, once per year, that big of a deal? I suspect those affluent waterfornt homeowners who complain about the race are the very same people who complain about airplane noise, motorcycle noise, leafblower noise, and every other type of sound aside from their own voices. I wasn't aware that silence became a guaranteed right once you paid over a certain dollar amount for a home.
In all honesty, I have come to expect nothing more than this type of poor research and one-sided reporting in recent years, and I do not make a habit out of sending comments to the authors. Being an avid fan of offshore powerboats and racing, I felt obligated in this case to point out some of the errors in this particular article.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I BET SHE FEELS LIKE A DUMD A$$ NOW.....as she should
Old 05-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

raimn,

excellent letter. well worded and intelligent. just what our sport needs. great job!

sean
Old 05-26-2006, 03:53 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"BET SHE FEELS LIKE A DUMD A$$ NOW.....as she should"

See the http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=131001 thread in the bilge about "educated" "quota people" now taking over most large U.S. organizations.

This writer for the WSJ is a perfect example. In years past, a cigar chomping male editor would have ensured somebody who knew something about boats wrote the article and had it proofed, fact checked, and edited.

That "old school" editor would now now fire the writer for failing to do research and writing a stupid article, and also fire the proofer as well as the fact checker. Can't do that today, there are likely special quotas at the WSJ for ignorant about boating female boat writers, incompetent proofers, fact checkers and editors. Oh yeah, the cigar chomping editor who tried to uphold standards would also be fired for insensitivity, and the goofups given his job.

The U.S. is really going down the tubes.

Last edited by CBR; 05-26-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Warbird, is your ME Burgundy in color? I was in the Red/Wht Cig pace boat.

If thats you, it is a beauty.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
As a daily reader of WSJ, I can say this article is not typical of them. On the other hand it sounds like some of our big mouthed, small minded members are starting to feel the consequences of their braggadacio.

Reggie's nonsensical quotes about bling and girls, the Arkansas Race organizer calling local people, who prize peace and quiet, "irrelevant", and the racer bashing the police question about noise, all go back to the point I keep harping on......... This loud "extreme" image some of us try to portray will bite us all in the *ss.......

Frankly, I like to go fast, out of the way, and as quietly as possible. The constant focus on parties, booze, loud engines and bling has nothing to with performance boating and professional racing.....but should be more indicative of spectators and fans.

Sadly, we have party animals who pose as racers, and racers who, if this keeps up, will be looking for a place to race.

For all the mis-stated mishmash that this poor, uninformed, liberal writer put out in one of the most respected newspapers in the world...... Look no further than your last "in your face" blowhard comments to find the cause.

T2x
Unfortunately, I once again find your thoughts run parallel to mine and I believe they are prescient. Too bad. For if this trend continues (ridiculousness of image taking center stage), we'll all find ourselves without anywhere to use our boats at the limits of each models' performance.

If we want to change the perception of the public, we need to acknowledge that we have a bad image that is reinforced by some of the comments quoted in the aricle. Then, we need to change our image. Sending emails which stress the positives our sport, would be a better way to approach the author than to bash her, in my opinion.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:02 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

I get yelled at all the time for going 4 knots in a 5 knot no wake zone, while a trawler yacht passes me at 9 knots pushing a huge wake. This article means even more abuse.

Frankly, as a subscriber, I am enraged the WSJ could print such a stupid article without fact checking or proofing it.

Does this mean the articles on finance and companies are equally full of B.S. with no fact checking?

I am contacting the editors.

Last edited by CBR; 05-26-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts
Angry What THE FU_K!!!!!!!!!

One of the circuits -- an alliance between Superboat International and the American Power Boat Association -- is made up of mostly weekend warriors.

!@#$%$#@!
Old 05-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rainmn
Here's what I sent:

Ms. Karp,
Your article on offshore powerboats appears to lack a significant amount of research. Much of it is either slanted truths, half truths, or no truth at all.
For starters, the entire article refers to performance boats as "Cigarette boats." Surely in your research you learned that Cigarette is one manufacturer of this type of boat, did you not? If your article were about the photocopy industry, would you refer to all machines as "Xerox machines?"
Offshore powerboat racing came to the US in 1973? Not even close.
And how about the comments on the wakes, and the subsequent damage they cause. Did you do any research on the size of wakes created by boats other than "Cigarette boats?" Apparently not. Large cruisers and sportfishing boats create far larger and more damaging wakes, and those types of boats are on the waterways in much larger numbers.
Manatees? Do you believe that manatees are impervious to all other types of propellors, other than those found on performance boats?
Did you check to see how many other forms of motorsports use mufflers on the vehicles? Did you do any checking with builders of engines for offshore race boats to see if mufflers are even feasible?
Is the noise of a few hours of racing, once per year, that big of a deal? I suspect those affluent waterfornt homeowners who complain about the race are the very same people who complain about airplane noise, motorcycle noise, leafblower noise, and every other type of sound aside from their own voices. I wasn't aware that silence became a guaranteed right once you paid over a certain dollar amount for a home.
In all honesty, I have come to expect nothing more than this type of poor research and one-sided reporting in recent years, and I do not make a habit out of sending comments to the authors. Being an avid fan of offshore powerboats and racing, I felt obligated in this case to point out some of the errors in this particular article.
you are absolutely wright, but the people that read the WSJ and don't know nothing about boat or races, well they will think that she know about what she is talking about, people like this have to be hold accountable for misrepresent information, just my.02
Old 05-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by orss
you are absolutely wright, but the people that read the WSJ and don't know nothing about boat or races, well they will think that she know about what she is talking about, people like this have to be hold accountable for misrepresent information, just my.02
Thanc godness you are not righting the article. It mit be much harderer to reed.

Quick Reply: "Loud, Fast and Politically Incorrect" WSJ today!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.