Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   "Loud, Fast and Politically Incorrect" WSJ today!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/131122-loud-fast-politically-incorrect-wsj-today.html)

Magic Medicine 05-27-2006 02:41 PM

Re: "Loud, Fast and Politically Incorrect" WSJ today!!

I sent her some mail! You have to love the tree hugging haters of the world! :mad:

jhiguy377 05-27-2006 03:50 PM

dave, you still got wheels on the boat trailer? -jeff

FeverMike 05-27-2006 06:36 PM

We all should send her some flowers as a group and a note with our thoughts. Maybe she'll write an article on this site. :eek: :drink:

GLH 05-27-2006 07:33 PM

If you want to please the voiceous minority go buy a:

-Sailboat
-Hybrid Diesel Saab
-Beret
-bio-degradable underwear
-an "I love Sadam" bumper sticker and
-A democratic party registration card.

And then mire in averagedom.

GLH 05-27-2006 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by T2x
As a daily reader of WSJ, I can say this article is not typical of them. On the other hand it sounds like some of our big mouthed, small minded members are starting to feel the consequences of their braggadacio.

Reggie's nonsensical quotes about bling and girls, the Arkansas Race organizer calling local people, who prize peace and quiet, "irrelevant", and the racer bashing the police question about noise, all go back to the point I keep harping on......... This loud "extreme" image some of us try to portray will bite us all in the *ss.......

Frankly, I like to go fast, out of the way, and as quietly as possible. The constant focus on parties, booze, loud engines and bling has nothing to with performance boating and professional racing.....but should be more indicative of spectators and fans.

Sadly, we have party animals who pose as racers, and racers who, if this keeps up, will be looking for a place to race.

For all the mis-stated mishmash that this poor, uninformed, liberal writer put out in one of the most respected newspapers in the world...... Look no further than your last "in your face" blowhard comments to find the cause.

T2x

Originally Posted by jhiguy377
I love machines that look extrordinary, sound extraordinary, and perform in extraordinary ways. By their very nature extreme machines will attract attention both wanted and unwanted. I can't change what the "quota people" who pervade industry, government and most environmental organizations think, but I can positively influence many folks that I come into contact with. I think that we miss a big opportunity for positive PR. Please see the big thread(s) regarding "what's the dumbest thing you'll be asked at the docks/ramps this year?". Come on guys, you don't have to even read between the lines to get the sense that too many of us fall into the attitude of " I'm too special or important or rich or busy or smart to deal with the small people". Sure some of the questions/comments are fueled by envy or misguided environmental wrath but more often its just curiousity and even a bit of awe and a desire to talk to someone that has something so cool. I know that if I don't stop, count my blessings and respond kindly, I'm likely to come off as some imperious egotistical jerk. If I can let my passion and enthusiasm shine when answering questions then maybe I'm part of the solution. There's certainly enough factual information that people like the WSJ writer can mangle, omit and manipulate; let's don't hand them our worst stereotype to write about.
Jeff

Excellent and intelligent points.

My only issue is ... why empower the "nose out of joint" people with a necessity of actions by us to make what we do as a pass time palatable... to them.

Those individual will never be satisfied until you go around in an hemp-hulled sailbot. If you take steps to cater to them in any sort you are only forgoing your basic rights and justifying/warranting their b!tching.

GLH 05-27-2006 08:55 PM

BTW I love the WSJ specially the last two page of the first section.

Racegirl3 05-27-2006 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
RG...so if nobody knew, then yes they would. :D :D

Must be why nobody corrected me for misspelling apology :p :D

jhiguy377 05-28-2006 11:24 AM

GLH,
I say we don't cater to the above mentioned groups. We simply let our hobby/sport/avocation stand as it is. We address people and issues as they come -with integrity, humor and enthusisam. That which is worthwhile will stand the test. -Jeff

GLH 05-28-2006 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by jhiguy377
...That which is worthwhile will stand the test. -Jeff

Worthwhile to me...... Obviously! :D

As long as I am within the law, no modification of my behavior is needed and I hate to sound callous but those misguided self appointed do-gooders can f-themsleves.

dyno 05-29-2006 02:29 PM

made me want to barf :eek: