Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
"Loud, Fast and Politically Incorrect"  WSJ today!! >

"Loud, Fast and Politically Incorrect" WSJ today!!

Notices

"Loud, Fast and Politically Incorrect" WSJ today!!

Old 05-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: "Loud, Fast and Politically Incorrect" WSJ today!!

Originally Posted by rainmn
I suspect those affluent waterfornt homeowners who complain about the race are the very same people who complain about airplane noise, motorcycle noise, leafblower noise, and every other type of sound aside from their own voices. I wasn't aware that silence became a guaranteed right once you paid over a certain dollar amount for a home.
rainmn, I really enjoyed your response to the author---especially the line you quoted above. Very well put, and how true it is!

With all due respect to the waterfront property owners, they get to enjoy the peace, silence, and tranquility during most of the year. Here in Michigan that would be about 8-9 months which is more than half of the year. I guess I always expect to hear some sort of noise or racket when I'm around the water---it's been that way all of my life of growing up on waterfronts.

I suppose most everyone enjoys the water for their recreation during the summer in some way. I am not out to make anyone miserable, but mine just happens to be offshore powerboating---a few months during the year at that.

I thought the article by the WSJ was poorly researched/reported.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with T2x, Miller and others. As shallow as the article may be, it's far more professional, analytical, and intelligent than most of the comments posted on this thread. Are we all 20 year olds?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And it spreads like a disease.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2006/...ally_incorrec/
Old 05-30-2006, 11:29 AM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Good spot, Ron. Sadly, it seems that article is likely to spring up in every waterfront community newspaper.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:52 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: What THE FU_K!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
One of the circuits -- an alliance between Superboat International and the American Power Boat Association -- is made up of mostly weekend warriors.

!@#$%$#@!

What are you angry about?

It's true.

T2x
Old 05-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That article is pure overblown sensationalism.. However after doing all I could to fight a speed limit on the lake I call home I can agree with one thing.. The noise is unneccesary.. I like everyone else here love the sound of a couple 1000 HP blower motors with dry pipes ..but not all day long or early in the morning.. These GFBLs as weve been stereotyped have far reaching effects ..Loud pipes carry for miles and miles over water with the ability to Pizz off many people at once.. If your blasting across winnipesaukee which is surrounded by mountains there are probably 5-10 000 people that are exposed to the noise.. So please "Be fast, be proud, but try and keep the muffs on if possible .It only gives the fuddy duddies ammo for there battles... "FOR THE GOOD OF THE SPORT"
Old 05-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Registered

The More We Argue Every Point, The More It Goes To Show That We Do It For The Passion And The Fun. My Wife And I Have Raised Our Kids On Boats Since They Were Born. It Is A Wonderful Family Activity To Do Together. People Like This Author Are Suffering From Jealousy And The Inadequate Ability To Have Fun. While They Ship Their Kids Off To Boarding Schools And Nanny's, We Are Showing Our Kids What Hard Work Can Make You Proud To Be, I.e. A Respectful Boater, And Proud To Own. We Spend Weekend After Weekend Having Good, Clean Fun Meeting New People That We Are Proud To Call Friends. They Are Putting The Typical Political B.s. Spin On The Negatives That Every Sport And Activity Can Have. At The End Of The Day, Make Yourself Happy, Be Respectful At All Times To Others On The Water And In Their Million Dollar Beach Homes(which Are Only Worth So Much Because Everyone Wants To See Our Cool Boats Lol)and Ignore The Bureacracy. My .02
Old 05-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hammer01
The More We Argue Every Point, The More It Goes To Show That We Do It For The Passion And The Fun. My Wife And I Have Raised Our Kids On Boats Since They Were Born. It Is A Wonderful Family Activity To Do Together. People Like This Author Are Suffering From Jealousy And The Inadequate Ability To Have Fun. While They Ship Their Kids Off To Boarding Schools And Nanny's, We Are Showing Our Kids What Hard Work Can Make You Proud To Be, I.e. A Respectful Boater, And Proud To Own. We Spend Weekend After Weekend Having Good, Clean Fun Meeting New People That We Are Proud To Call Friends. They Are Putting The Typical Political B.s. Spin On The Negatives That Every Sport And Activity Can Have. At The End Of The Day, Make Yourself Happy, Be Respectful At All Times To Others On The Water And In Their Million Dollar Beach Homes(which Are Only Worth So Much Because Everyone Wants To See Our Cool Boats Lol)and Ignore The Bureacracy. My .02
Thats great that you enjoy boating so much and are passing on the freedom etc that boating allows.. However ignoring people like this is dangerous.. Unfortunately we must acknowledge the issues that divide those who enjoy going quickly in a boat and those that cant understand why you would want to..
Old 05-30-2006, 04:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ange
Nort, I knew you were a stand up kind of guy. Oh wait, you are standing....

LMFAO................

Hey Nort............

That was funny!!!!!!!