Notices

twin engine docking tips?

Old 04-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madhatter42
Go out some place in open water, and practice to see how the boat reacts etc, the only tip I can say is experience, experience, experience....

Do not come in hot...if you manage to screw up, back out and do it again, don't panic...slow and steady wins when it comes to docking...there's no first place for smashed fiberglass or how loud that lovely noise you hear when you smash the dock coming in overly aggressively...
Excellent advice. every boat, prob configuration will react a little different.. Good luck

John jr
Old 04-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can also use trim tabs mostly when backing.. to move the nose around (one down one up) helps on staggar set up.. put them both down while back and it seems to settle things down and gives you more control... learned this helps backing big time.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

The thing I always teach new twin engine owners at the marina I work at goes like this. Stand (or sit) square to the helm facing forward. Grasp the starboard shifter with your right hand and the port shifter with your left. Now for the big thing to remember: The boat goes where your shoulders go.

Think about it and try it. Works every time. Taught to me by a great guy many, many years ago.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Kinda surprised I did'nt see anyone here on this thread talk to much about dock lines, fenders and their importance in docking a boat. The two biggest problems generally in docking a boat, inboard, I/O, or otherwise are wind blowing off or onto the dock, across a slip and currents doing the same things. Always have adequate length dock lines at hand during docking manuvers as well as fenders for preventing knocks agains docks, piles, other boats etc. Make a nice light line monkeys paw throwing line to quickly attach to the end of a dock line for getting the dock line safely to someone on the dock without sometimes getting to close to objects in strong winds or currents and to avoid having bodies standing on the slippery beautiful front decks where usually a strong throwing heave sometimes ends up with the tosser on their butt or worse over in the water in trouble or injured.
Learn how to use your docklines with fenders as pivots and spring lines to aid in docking with wind on the dock or trying to move off the dock against winds and currents or in tight end to end side ties where theres little room to manuver out of a tight spot.

There is nothing sometimes more dangerous as docking a boat in not so favorable conditions as one usually sees when the weather was suppossed to be perfect with light or no winds.

There is nothing more impressive around boats as watching an expierenced boater using all the tools of docking calmly, slowly and safely.

As others have said here also,

PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE! SLOW,SLOW,SLOW!

If you get in trouble during docking, just remember where neutral is on the helm, as you can always fend off to abort a failed manuver and prevent damage and injury. Trying to use power and rpms in those situations just makes it worse and leads to major damage and injuries!

Just some extra thoughts and advice.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

pick a wide slip,,practice getting in and out of the slip forward and backing in ,stay in the center of the well at first,,,as you get more comfortable start moving closer and closer to the docks
Old 09-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Registered

here is a guide i found that talks about the basics of twin engine controls. The hardest thing is keeping your hands of the wheel!
http://www.texasstarz.com/twin-throttles.html
Old 09-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
Kinda surprised I did'nt see anyone here on this thread talk to much about dock lines, fenders and their importance in docking a boat. The two biggest problems generally in docking a boat, inboard, I/O, or otherwise are wind blowing off or onto the dock, across a slip and currents doing the same things. Always have adequate length dock lines at hand during docking manuvers as well as fenders for preventing knocks agains docks, piles, other boats etc. Make a nice light line monkeys paw throwing line to quickly attach to the end of a dock line for getting the dock line safely to someone on the dock without sometimes getting to close to objects in strong winds or currents and to avoid having bodies standing on the slippery beautiful front decks where usually a strong throwing heave sometimes ends up with the tosser on their butt or worse over in the water in trouble or injured.
Learn how to use your docklines with fenders as pivots and spring lines to aid in docking with wind on the dock or trying to move off the dock against winds and currents or in tight end to end side ties where theres little room to manuver out of a tight spot.

There is nothing sometimes more dangerous as docking a boat in not so favorable conditions as one usually sees when the weather was suppossed to be perfect with light or no winds.

There is nothing more impressive around boats as watching an expierenced boater using all the tools of docking calmly, slowly and safely.

As others have said here also,

PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE! SLOW,SLOW,SLOW!

If you get in trouble during docking, just remember where neutral is on the helm, as you can always fend off to abort a failed manuver and prevent damage and injury. Trying to use power and rpms in those situations just makes it worse and leads to major damage and injuries!

Just some extra thoughts and advice.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Well said Raylar. An I would like to add. Props turning in compared to turing out on v bottoms. Hard to dock an less lift in turns. Think obout it. Not worth it. Do You really like laying on the side of Your boat or the flat in a turn for 1 to 2 mph on top end ??? Artie
Old 09-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Registered

Default Bravo 3

Never had or operated a Twin with Bravo 3's but always wondered if they operated or had the same manners around the dock as Bravo 1's. Can someone shed some experience?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatguy66
Going from a single you will love it no gas just foward&reverse until boat is strait then let current or wind do the rest!
There are times where you will use the throttle as well, especially in current and/or wind.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by HavinATantrum
Never had or operated a Twin with Bravo 3's but always wondered if they operated or had the same manners around the dock as Bravo 1's. Can someone shed some experience?
Buddy of mine has a Formula 350 SS with Bravo III's. It has Axius so 99.9% of the time you are using the joystick to dock it. A couple of years ago just for shats and giggles I backed it using the shifters up to the outside of a friend's dock. I really didn't notice much difference in how it reacted compared to Bravo I's. You would really need to manuver two identical boats, other than the drives, to know for sure.

Quick Reply: twin engine docking tips?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.