Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Considerations when buying trailor tires (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/131360-considerations-when-buying-trailor-tires.html)

Boomer35 05-30-2006 08:06 AM

Considerations when buying trailor tires

What type of things do i need to consider when buying new trailor tires, ratings, construction.. just over all how do i pick the right tire and a good one, its for a triple axle myco steel trailer with a 12000 lb 36 ft 357 formula on it

Sydwayz 05-30-2006 08:22 AM

Re: Considerations when buying trailor tires

If you want trailer ST type tires; ONLY buy Goodyear Marathons Radials. You DO NOT want Carlise tires. They are crap. Cooper has a trailer tire out now, but I don't know of anyone with experiences to share. You want to buy E-rated tires for that load. You can't have too much tire.

I have LT tires on my trailer from the factory. A few folks run LT (light truck) tires on there trailer. I would say that I have had mediorcre experiences with them. I have gone through just about all of them in the couple years that I have owned the boat. They had a lot of miles on them when I bought the trailer/boat. I guess when its time for the tire to go, it goes no matter what the make/rating.

Best thing you can do for your tires is invest in a Laser Pyrometer temp guage to keep an eye on everything while towing. Each time you pull over inspect each tire inside and outside (sidewall) and each hub, brake, and sample a couple lugnuts. You can't beat this knowledge when towing. There is no set temperature they should be at, but they all need to be uniform. Tires on one side of the boat will be hotter if they are exposed to sun, as opposed to shade during tow.

Boomer35 05-30-2006 08:40 AM

am i better off running truck tires on the trailor, or stick with trailer tires?

Sydwayz 05-30-2006 08:50 AM

I am going to defer to someone who has run the each tire on the same trailer/setup to give a definate answer.

I would think that proper E-rated Goodyear Marathons are the way to go. If you talk to a few folks like Jassman/Jeff Jassby (only runs Cooper Discoverer LT tires on his trailers), they really prefer LT tires.

I carry two spares (for a three axle trailer) if that tells you anything. If I do start over (8 new tires = pocketbook ouch); I will probably lean toward Goodyear Marathons. I liked them on my last trailer, (only thing on last trailer that I did like).

I would also highly advise dropping the boat in the water for a day, or having it lifted off to change the tires (that is if your boat lives on the trailer). It is SOOOOO much easier and safer to do so with the boat off the trailer.

stecz20 05-30-2006 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Boomer35
am i better off running truck tires on the trailor, or stick with trailer tires?

it comes with truck tires on there new.. i just bought the same tire that it came with and they are working out great.. trailer tires never wear nice for many reasons, either they are getting pulled in every direction, they wear badly cause the trailer wont track straight, and cause of going over so many curbs and so on. i think to get hammered by buying the trailer tires and spend the extra cash when you never really get your moneys worth is a waste... myco trailers come with wrangler good years. i forget size and all that.. maybe someone on the board could tell you the rest, or give them a call and get the specs... they are the same tires that would come on a f-250..... good luck.. stecz

mama tryed 05-30-2006 07:22 PM

Boomer,

What size rims do have on your Trl?

sakoutis3 05-31-2006 09:04 AM

Get round ones. :drink:

Boomer35 06-01-2006 02:28 PM

ended up with Tow Max Power King ST 225/75 R15 D rated, marothons are backordered and tough to get, and the guy my company buys all its tires from says he prefered this brand anyway.... anybody have any exp with them?

im being told you cant get an E rated tire on a 15" rim?? also, i called myco, they run a LT tire on the 16" rim, and an ST on the 15" rim, both Goodyr

Blewbyyou 06-01-2006 02:51 PM

Boomer,
Correct on the E-rated marathons. None available. I just put 2 marathons on my tripple axle Rocket trailer yesterday. I blew a tire this weekend coming home from the lake. I currently have 205/75R15 C-load(1820lbs) and wanted to replace all 6 with 225/75R15 - D-load (2520lbs). They are back ordered and can't give me a date so I replaced my blown one and a questionable one with the 205's. I have been happy with Goodyears but Let us know how the new tire works out.

Boomer35 06-01-2006 03:17 PM

this new tire is a D rated 2600lb tire, so rated actually a little higher than the Marathon, i think im sold on them