Price of fuel - impact on boat market? >

Price of fuel - impact on boat market?

Notices

Price of fuel - impact on boat market?

Old 07-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: Price of fuel - impact on boat market?

Originally Posted by Reckless32
For the smaller family boat types, none whatsoever. Gas prices are up, but the economy is cookin' hence the rising interest rates.

I think maybe trailer sales will go up as folks pull their boats out of the fairly pricey boatels and such. Trailer them to the local gas station (cheaper gas) save boatel fees, and viola! You actually end up with cash in your pockets.

We pizz away so much money on other minutia items in life like digital cable and other items around the house or in the trucks/autos that are not necessary (meaning just for show) that if you really loved the boating life you would give something up to make more room in your budgets for a little spike in gas. How about a Boat US membership to get an extra 5-10% off the marina gas pumps?

If you're a performance boater you're already into some money whether it be bling-bling; searching for the perfect prop waste; repairs; trips; numerous overnights at marina's; etc. etc. I would think if this spike backs you in a corner, you're probably over your head anyway and have been. You should either go down in size/expense, or get out and let someone else play your boat to get you out of hock.

As I always state to the local bubba's when they complain, put up or go down, or get out of it.
I disagree, I don't think the market is all that well. Although earnings are up it's a reflection of last quarter and late 2005... The market is extremely volitile.. See the chart over the last 6 mo's.

Intrest rates are on the rise because they were so low to begin with...

Also, when we need to cut things out of our budget to afford our hobbies that hurts the economy as a whole. Have salary's kept up with the cost of living?
Attached Thumbnails Price of fuel - impact on boat market?-_ixic.png   Price of fuel - impact on boat market?-_dji.png  
Old 07-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fund razor
Want a 1987 Stinger 260 with twin sbcs?
15k on a trailer, everything works. Brand new exhausts and trailer tires. 28.5 LOA.

But my real answer... hence making this NOT a classified ad.... is that I think that the industry boom put an unprecedented amount of inventory in the boat market in the late eighties through the 90s.

I think that the inventory glut is a bigger factor than gas prices at this time.

Gas availability will have a much greater cooling effect than a dollar bump in street price.
I don't know much about Stingers other than that Don Johnson drove a big one in the first season(s) of Miami Vice. Where they built by Chris Craft? At this point I'm sold on the older Formulas. Consumers seem to be ditching their big SUVs and buying electric cars...I guess I'm one of the few looking for a boat with BBCs

High gas prices are annoying but when you start talking about availability that is scary. I hope that doesn't happen. If I can't buy fuel then I can't get to work...let alone drive a boat.

Re: building boom. I was a teenager in the mid-late-80s but remember that everyone my father knew seemed to be driving a new boat. Then in the early 90s with the recesssion and the luxury tax on boats things went flat big time.

Last edited by chuck21401; 07-06-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

More good news in the gas $$ debacle!

Higher oil costs may push gasoline above $3

BY WAYNE T. PRICE
FLORIDA TODAY

Motorists could see gas prices shoot above $3 a gallon for regular unleaded in much of the nation, possibly by this weekend, after crude oil prices hit a record high Wednesday. Crude prices rose because of continued worries about gasoline supplies and international conflicts.

Higher crude oil costs -- which translate to increases in gasoline prices -- have become a major drag on the economy. The higher prices are forcing some motorists to scale back on travel plans and other purchases, and it leads businesses to raise prices of consumer goods to make up for higher transportation costs.

Crude oil prices peaked at $75.40 a barrel Wednesday before closing at $75.19 on the New York Mercantile Exchange, an increase of $1.26. That broke records for the intraday price of $75.35 and closing price of $75.15, both set April 21.

One rule of thumb on oil prices is that when the price of a 42-gallon barrel of oil rises $1, gasoline pump prices go up 21/2 cents a gallon. And pump prices tend to react much more quickly to oil increases than decreases.

Randy Bly, director of
community relations for AAA Auto Club South, said, under normal market conditions, gasoline prices would drop after the July Fourth holiday, as demand decreases somewhat.

However, "right now, I can't imagine gas prices going down any time soon because of the oil prices," Bly said.

Oil costs account for about half of the retail gasoline price.

It appears continuing problems with Iran -- the world's fourth-biggest crude exporter -- and North Korea's test-firing of missiles helped push the price of a barrel of oil higher Wednesday.

"It's a little bit of everything. You can throw in all the usual suspects," Denton Cinquegrana, markets editor with the Oil Price Information Service, said in describing the culprits behind the oil increases.

According to AAA Auto Club South's Fuel Gauge Report, the average price for regular unleaded gasoline in Florida was $2.899 a gallon Wednesday. That's about 67 cents a gallon higher than it was a year ago.

The nationwide average is $2.931 a gallon for regular unleaded, up nearly 71 cents a gallon from a year ago.

While the U.S. average for a gallon of regular unleaded could hit or surpass the $3 mark this weekend, that might not happen as quickly in Brevard County, where the average price per gallon for regular unleaded is $2.85 to $2.87.

"Pump prices aren't going to rise 25 cents a gallon tomorrow," Cinquegrana said. "It does take time to work through the system."

U.S. retail gasoline prices peaked at $3.057 a gallon for regular unleaded last September, reflecting the extreme tightness in the market following Hurricane Katrina, which knocked out pipelines that deliver fuel to the East Coast and Midwest.

Some area motorists, past the initial sticker shock of gasoline costing $2.75 to $3 a gallon, were fairly nonchalant about further increases.

"When the rest of the world is paying up to $4 a gallon, it's not so bad," said Ronald MacDonald of Melbourne.

Still, MacDonald said he's taking fewer trips in his Grand Marquis, which gets about 25 miles per gallon on the highway.

"We go for walks more often," MacDonald said.

David Vinarub of Viera said he wasn't so much angry with the cost of gasoline as he is with U.S. automakers refusing for so long to develop more fuel-efficient engines. Rising gas prices might spur the public to put more pressure on them and U.S. lawmakers to develop alternatives.

"We shouldn't be hostage to Iran and their oil," Vinarub said. "This is a problem that has been going unaddressed for a long time, and maybe this is what it's going to take to make carmakers to come out with more fuel-efficient cars."

Oil prices have risen for eight consecutive trading days, and are up 4 percent from a month ago. Prices have risen as steady demand for gasoline has mixed with concerns about the hurricane season and tensions in oil-producing countries, such as Iran and Venezuela.

Although events in North Korea generally do not directly influence energy prices, news that the country tested a long-range missile and several short-range versions this week added to the geopolitical worries that have been propping up the oil market.

"It just sort of adds to the stewing pot of tensions," Wachovia economist Jason Schenker said.

Such tensions likely will continue to push up oil prices, said Thomas Bentz, senior energy analyst at BNP Paribas Commodity Futures.

"All of those issues are not going to go away," he said.

Average gasoline prices were at or above $3 a gallon for regular unleaded in 11 states and the District of Columbia on Wednesday, according to AAA.

The highest gas prices in the country were in Hawaii, where the average was $3.368 a gallon. South Carolina had the lowest statewide average price at $2.726 a gallon.

While crude prices set a record Wednesday, when adjusted for inflation, the peak was the equivalent of $86.99 in 1981.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by chuck21401
I don't know much about Stingers other than that Don Johnson drove a big one in the first season(s) of Miami Vice. Where they built by Chris Craft? At this point I'm sold on the older Formulas. Consumers seem to be ditching their big SUVs and buying electric cars...I guess I'm one of the few looking for a boat with BBCs

High gas prices are annoying but when you start talking about availability that is scary. I hope that doesn't happen. If I can't buy fuel then I can't get to work...let alone drive a boat.

Re: building boom. I was a teenager in the mid-late-80s but remember that everyone my father knew seemed to be driving a new boat. Then in the early 90s with the recesssion and the luxury tax on boats things went flat big time.
Yep. Chris Craft. It's actually a cool boat. Not that anxious to let it go.

The older Formulas are awesome.
I like the Formula 311s from around 1991 or so.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Pomagranit juice is $40.00 per gallon..............gas for boating is not my top priority.....after 48 years of boating it might be time to call it quits. Anyone interested in a 41 apache complete with service records and a s%itload of spare parts let me know......mark...........
Old 07-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by el indio
Pomagranit juice is $40.00 per gallon
So is Cuervo.

Fortunately I only need a couple of ounces an hour.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fund razor
So is Cuervo.

Fortunately I only need a couple of ounces an hour.

Unfortunatly it is not as heathy............mark..........p.s.........starte d with a scottatwater 40 hspower outboard worked my way up to a pair of merc 800sc.....in differant boats of course.......I watched the raw matrial go from wood to glass...........m.m....

Last edited by el indio; 07-06-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Registered

Unfortunatly it is not as heathy............mark..........p.s.........starte d with a scottatwater 40 hspower outboard worked my way up to a pair of merc 800sc.....in differant boats of course.......I watched the raw matrial go from wood to glass...........m.m....
Ya know... you should think about writing a book and saving all those moments and memories for the younger guys coming up. I would read it. Not that I am all that young.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Registered

Pomagranit juice is $40.00 per gallon....
Only two maybe three players in the supply game of pomagranit for juicing and they are getting them from the same controled by one source. Almost made a pomagranit apple blend, but everyone and their grandma who makes fresh juice's has or is coming out with fresh pomagranit products, decided to stick with apple, pear, and cherry. Cherries by the way have better health benifits over pom. In our traditional grocery store customers organic sells less over commercial/regular products. People just are not willing to pay a premium price when a less expensive simular product is available any more. Hence why I'm not jumping into offering a product that has already cooled, with reduced profit margins and high compitition. Just like I would shelve building a new condo complex in Miami right know if that was my business!!!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Registered

peace to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!m.m........

Quick Reply: Price of fuel - impact on boat market?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.