Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   If you had to do it again buy new or used?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/131484-if-you-had-do-again-buy-new-used.html)

Wobble 05-31-2006 09:22 AM

Re: If you had to do it again buy new or used??

My next boat will have closed cooling, I understand that Mercruiser offers up to six years extended warranty on their Horizon closed cooling motors when purchased through one of their partner manufacturers.

The only thing I would add to those motors would be sea/sand strainers.

kswest 05-31-2006 09:23 AM

If it is an off-the-shelf boat (Donzi, Formula, Fountain) best to buy it a couple years used.

If it is a one-of-a-kind boat (Outerlimits, Most of the cats) and you want everything EXACTLY a certain way new is the only way to go.

Since it is your first boat I would say make some compromises (not picking out everything EXACTLY how you would have it) and get a used one.

obnoxus 05-31-2006 09:50 AM

Bought new before,,,,,,,never again

kickin32 05-31-2006 10:01 AM

buy pre-owned and definitely have it surveyed and a lengthy sea trial it is well worth the money :D

Panther 05-31-2006 10:25 AM

Can't afford the initial 5-7 yr depreciation so I buy used. :(

MitchStellin 05-31-2006 10:59 AM

New....and keep it for 10 years. I have been burned on two used boats, people treat go fast boats like dirt bikes, I was screwed by the dealer on one Donzi, sued and won but put in 1000s of $$$ to fix it, then I bought an AT that had issues and I sold it. I would look at a 1-2 year old boat with warrenty and adult owned. When I buy something new, like my truck, sleds, bikes and all I can keep it like new forever, my truck has 110,000 on it and it looks new and rides better once I fixed fords mistakes on the Excursion and with a diesel it will last forever. So I say new, yes you take a bath but if you keep it long enough it will be worth it. And I hate buying someones problems.

Pantera1 05-31-2006 11:01 AM

Freshwater ! Used but not abUSED :drink:

Back4More 05-31-2006 11:10 AM

Used, 5 years or older....rebuild it the way you want it.

Stormrider 05-31-2006 11:12 AM

You'll get more for your $ buying used.
I'd look for a boat for sale by a well known board member, they usually take good care of their boats since that is all they care about. :D

Clay Washington 05-31-2006 11:47 AM

I am on my fifth boat - one was new (the fourth one) and the other four were pre-owned (including my current boat).

Unless I hit the lottery, I will never buy new again. :cool: