Notices

Boat Transportation

Old 06-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Boat Transportation

Originally Posted by bgchuby01
To ChrisF, I am going to call them and ask them what that I am doing wrong. At todays fuel prices and insurance costs you can not go down the road at 1.25 per mile. The cost factor is higher. Just my 02 cents
As far as I can tell, the only thing you're doing wrong, is trying to actually earn a living out there. You're exactly right. At $1.25 a mile, you're not making any money, you're just keeping yourself occupied. This is partially the reason why I finally got myself completely out of the trucking / towing business a few years ago.

Just when you finally get a commercial account to agree to a reasonable set rate, or convince the general public in your area that such & such $ per mile is what I have to charge to provide good service with good equipment, ol' Johnny Super Trucker will roll in and lowball you, just to get the work. Guys like that seem to think that just because they're loaded and the wheels are turning, that they're actually making money. Until the end of the year when they add everything up and realize that they worked almost twice as hard as last year and may have actually made less.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:05 AM
Registered

To ChrisF, I am going to call them and ask them what that I am doing wrong. At todays fuel prices and insurance costs you can not go down the road at 1.25 per mile. The cost factor is higher. Just my 02 cents
Jeff/everyone,

Relax. Different people or companies provide products and services to a different clientele. It is a part of capitalism. In my business, I am not the low end either, my clients appreciate the value added for the services I provide. On the other hand, I don't market to the low end, so the tools, equipment, and talent needed to be competitive in my market make me uncompetitive in the low end.

My point is, I had an easy self trailered 6500lbs. load to be delivered across the country to Los Angeles, I checked with you first and got your pricing. I asked if there was any room for movement on price, and you said no. I then went to an auction site and had 5 bids with $200 total of $1.25 a mile. The first one I chose (see above) was thorough in explaining to me the charges in detail, but also timing expectations, as well as pitfalls that may happen such as trailer problems, and those contigencies. Phone calls and email correspondance were addressed in a timely manner. In addition, I went to a website to verify a current DOT license, as well as had a certificate of insurance with current dates faxed to me within one hour of request. It worked, she got my business and everything worked out for me.

BTW, that is a monster truck to me, seemed fine to haul my big load I guess some here are taking this personally. There is no need, we can all make a living in this world.

Chris
Old 06-02-2006, 07:54 AM
Banned

Chris, I am sorry if I came off the wrong way or offended you. There is a web site out there that you can bid on. Friends of mine and myself have seen it and it is mostly older retired people running for just the fuel money to keep busy. These people know nothing about boats except to back up to a trailer and tow. At the $1.25 you can't even break even with todays costs. I spoke to the guy last night who is buying this hustler and \gave him some pointers on transport and the boat whether he uses me or someone else. I know that when someone gives me their boat to move I take care of the boat like it is my own, from parking it to where no one can damage it to making sure the bearings have enough grease. large cargo insurance is not cheap to buy. And there is different types of insurace from just covering the boat or the type that will cover when parked overnight which is different. Also having a dot number is needed but they also have to have a ICC number to be able to haul for hire across state lines. These things cost time and money. I have a friend calling the above website today to get a price to haul a boat to find out if they have all of the real paperwork to be a real truck company becasuse again I will bow down to them if they can haul a multi hundred thousand dollar boat with everything legal for there cost. HayJay said it perfect, lots of people go down the road for just enough money to put fuel in the truck with no profit in the end. Again sorry if I offended anyone but when I see a price per mile that is below cost it makes me mad because the average boat owner sees the cheap price and goes for it not knowing that the hauler may not be legal or have the right experience with these boats.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When fuel prices went up this year I sat down with my drivers (3) and explained that I would not be giving anyone a raise and we need to make our money multiple runs, not raising prices and hoping to get a few long hauls to cover the extra cost. I had to split my time between the drivers seat, dispatch, marketting and family at home.. And it has worked out. My company has been so busy moving boats this summer that I havent actually seen my Freightliner in 3 weeks. My Dodge is on the road litterally every day and I pull 4-5 days a week with the Ford. I picked up two accounts that tried to justify a $.50 per mile price increase when fuel prices went up $.20 per gallon. And we are hauling everything from ski boats to Outerlimits... Legally....Insured... ICC... DOT and without complaint. No fuel sur charges, no whinning.
I agree with Jeff that $1.25 is scary low. VERY SCARY!!! And I see the guys on the road pulling for that price, you get what you pay for. But if the job got done, and done right. I am glad to hear that you have your boat and saved a few bucks. Moving boats correctly is not something every driver can do. Trailers brake (All the time), loads shift, and parts fail. Not to mention launching or loading. Some of us charge a little extra for the years of experiance, I know both Jeff and myself do. But ask around and you will find that that experiance pays off in a bind.
Next time give Transport Solutions a call (714-878-7079) and we will give you our best quote!
Old 06-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Banned

Well; I should drop this whole thing but it bugs me to have someone quote a price so low you know something is up. I took the ICC number of 21 Palms from above and ran it on a government website called SAFER which is a site trucking companies can use to see if another company is legal. Here is what I found. 21 Palms carries $750,000 in Liability insurance which is if she hits someone that is her insurance to pay for the damage to the other person. Here is the good part. It also lists her CARGO insurance and low and behold she carries a wopping $5,000.00 in insurance. There is her secret to a low price. Her cargo won't even pay for half of a myco trailer. Also it shows her company to have had her ICC suspended numerous times. So the truth comes out as to how someone can quote $1.25 per mile. But you the unsuspecting boat owner only see's that she has cargo in place but not the amount. I pity the pook guy that gave her the skater for her website picture if she had damaged his boat in anyway. He would have been up the creek with no paddle. Chris you are lucky that you did not have a problem if your boat had any damage. Thank you and good night
Old 06-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Registered

I just read your above post, and all I could say is, the documentation I received made me confortable with the transaction, including the cargo limits portion that had the proper amount on my paperwork based on the value of my boat. In the end worked for me. If you are right Jeff, good I was lucky. I am not a allknowing kind of guy, so I will not put my reputation on the line for this referrel, but again it worked out, for a couple poeple who used them as well.

I just have to say, what you did above is real petty. It is one thing to mention that in your opinion, they don't run their business as well as you do, and you understand now why they are cheaper, but to flat out say they are screwing people, I hope your website research is accurate, because that is a SERIOUS accusation.

Another thing, my trailer did blow a bearing in Amarillo on a Sunday during the haul. Maria spent two hours calling around, found a trailer mechanic willing to go into his shop on a Sunday to fix it, no overtime $, repacked the axle and was on the road within 2-3 hours of the failure.

Chris

Last edited by chrisf; 06-02-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would have to be crazy to let just anybody haul your stuff... Jeff provided me with his info, contact information for his agent including policy number to verify coverages, and all of his updated info. Best part about Jeff is that not only does he know how to haul a performance boat but he can launch and bring the boat to your dock fueled and ready to run with no issues. He is one of us that hauls boats.... ask the SCOPE guys. I ended up having to fix a mess that a hauler made of a brand new Cigarette a few years go..... luckily they had some coverages.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Banned

I am not saying that they are screwing people, what I am saying is that they are mis representing them selves as to their cargo limits. I even went to the trouble of calling their agent that is listed on the government site and they knew who that they were but said that the policy was cancelled. I am only telling you and everyone else what that I read on the government website. And this site is pretty acturate. It reflects what is in the ICC computer for every company for hire.
Also Chris I am not trying to be petty. what it boils down to is that If I get low balled on a price and I know that the low price can not be done unless there is some thing wrong with the pricture than I try to find out what the problem is. Her price makes me look like I am overcharging people to move there boats. I am just paying the real costs involved to to the job right. I am glad that it worked out for you and she may move other peoples boats and not have a problem. The problem only comes into play if she creates damage to a boat and her insurance company does not cover it and you and me know that she is not going to write a check to cover the difference
Old 06-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well; I should drop this whole thing but it bugs me to have someone quote a price so low you know something is up. I took the ICC number of 21 Palms from above and ran it on a government website called SAFER which is a site trucking companies can use to see if another company is legal. Here is what I found. 21 Palms carries $750,000 in Liability insurance which is if she hits someone that is her insurance to pay for the damage to the other person. Here is the good part. It also lists her CARGO insurance and low and behold she carries a wopping $5,000.00 in insurance. There is her secret to a low price. Her cargo won't even pay for half of a myco trailer. Also it shows her company to have had her ICC suspended numerous times. So the truth comes out as to how someone can quote $1.25 per mile. But you the unsuspecting boat owner only see's that she has cargo in place but not the amount. I pity the pook guy that gave her the skater for her website picture if she had damaged his boat in anyway. He would have been up the creek with no paddle. Chris you are lucky that you did not have a problem if your boat had any damage. Thank you and good night
That's some good digging and proves your point.In our biz the fuel has made a diff in our prices and we pass it on the the buyer.No choice.I would prob never need your services but this tread has some very good information .Thanks

I am sure there's some horror stories out there

One thought on her insurance of 750K.. if the driver had a accident and killed a bus load of children Would 750k be enough and after the 750k ran out would they go after the owner of the million dollar Skater that he was towing??

Goodluck guys

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dhlaw
Best part about Jeff is that not only does he know how to haul a performance boat but he can launch and bring the boat to your dock fueled and ready to run with no issues. He is one of us that hauls boats....
Exactly my point, my hauler did not offer those kinds of services, but I didn't need nor was willing to pay for them either.

But why would I care if my hauler is also a boater. Loyalty is great, don't get me wrong, but I don't know Jeff, have no relationship with him, but was looking for the best price from a company that provided with me with legit documentation on coverages and DOT licensing. If Jeff is right, and they were screwing me, I had something in writing based on fraud. I won't say I would have won in court, but definetly did my due diligence to alieve my concerns.

Guys, this is just capitalism.

Chris

Last edited by chrisf; 06-02-2006 at 01:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Boat Transportation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.