Notices

Tow Rig - Need your Input

Old 06-02-2006, 03:02 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Re: Tow Rig - Need your Input

Another thought... your truck is already a 2500HD isn't it?

Do a search on eBay for a take out (wrecked) Duramax/Allison complete package. You might find a deal.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jassman (and others please)-

Thanks for your response. Funny, as I laid out the points and rated and all of my answers were the same as yours! What I want to know is why you have all 3?

As it relates to your comment on the Dodge transmission - wasn't that a problem before Cummins made the transmissions or is it still a problem?

As mentioned, I was leaning towards the Dodge however, I think for the wrong reasons - b/c it has the best look and is actually the cheapest of the 3. Is this a case of you get what you pay for or would you say this is negligible as they are all high towing capacity diesels and I will only keep the truck for 3 years (so always under warranty)?

My problem with GMC is that I have a 2500HD Gas right now and to go to Diesel will not really let me feel like I am getting a new rig.

My problem with Ford is that their non Lariat packages suck. I don't want leather but I do want the bells and whistles.

More thoughts?
Old 06-03-2006, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by On The Heat
Jassman (and others please)-

Thanks for your response. Funny, as I laid out the points and rated and all of my answers were the same as yours! What I want to know is why you have all 3?

As it relates to your comment on the Dodge transmission - wasn't that a problem before Cummins made the transmissions or is it still a problem?

As mentioned, I was leaning towards the Dodge however, I think for the wrong reasons - b/c it has the best look and is actually the cheapest of the 3. Is this a case of you get what you pay for or would you say this is negligible as they are all high towing capacity diesels and I will only keep the truck for 3 years (so always under warranty)?

My problem with GMC is that I have a 2500HD Gas right now and to go to Diesel will not really let me feel like I am getting a new rig.

My problem with Ford is that their non Lariat packages suck. I don't want leather but I do want the bells and whistles.

More thoughts?
The reason I have all 3 is support to my local dealers. Ive done this for the last 3 years, as well as 2 of the 3 dealers have bought Homes from my Company. I like to keep my business in town. Since Katrina the Dodge dealer is no longer here, and the GMC dealer has gone through extensive changes, (Ill just leave it at that) and the Ford dealer gives me the finest service and still invoice pricing that they have done for me for 6 years. Henderson Ford. I sell my vehicles to my employees or trade in, it usually costs around 3-4 k to do so. The write off every year is 33k and the trucks cost me around 40-42k for a 47-51k truck. As of right now they are taking 9k off sticker on any 3/4-1-ton truck, hell of a deal for a consumer. I just ordered an 07 Ford a few weeks ago.

As to the tranny problems with Dodge, I cant keep them together. The Ford tranny has been better to me than the Allison on the GMC. We pull trailers between 10k-19k a day. The Fluids are checked on Saturday's as well as getting them clean in and out, and then a visual inspections.

Of the 3 the Dodge when comparing invoices apples to apples is about 1200k less than the Ford which is 700 less than the GMC. The best resale still is the Ford, the Dodge looses money to quick of the 3 and is always the one that my employees buys, cause when I try to trade in Im always 6-8k behind a new invoice vs 3-4k on the others.

I have always gotten the XLT package with the leather on the 2500/3500 Fords. You can add options to make it close to a Lariat with or without leather. After the storm (lost all 6 trucks) from Ford I ordered 3 Lariats 2-2500's and 1-3500 love them.. worth the extra money. Love the leather on this package vs the XLT. Beter feeling, breaths excellent and easy to clean out and wipe up with some of that Frenzy protectant.

I wish you good luck. Order a Dodge, add the Ford suspension and tranny, with the GMC interior and you got it made. Jeff
Old 06-03-2006, 07:10 AM
Registered

Jeff-

Thanks for your time to answer my post - it has helped me quite a bit. However, I think you have left me with a new solution...

How about I come to MS and have you either 1)introduce me to your Ford dealership so I can get that same sweet deal or 2) sell me your '06 Ford since you have an '07 coming .

What '07 Ford did you order...any info you may have? Perhaps I will wait.

Shawn
Old 06-03-2006, 07:16 AM
Registered

i'll keep my dodge, it 's a 03 2500short bed. . qc 6 speed 4x4 . the 48 re auto is holding up verry well even with bombing . my 6 speed will pull hell of the hinges with no problems. i have 60k + miles and not and 1 problem . look under the front end . size is massive under the dodge .the ford still uses dana , dodge uses aam axle. it is real big the chey uses aam to but the alum diff housing and axles, are tiney comepaired to the ford and doge . depends on what you are looking if you want it to ride like a caddy and keep it on the road get the chey. if you are going to work it hard and carry heavey loads get the dodge . robbie
Old 06-03-2006, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by On The Heat
Jeff-

Thanks for your time to answer my post - it has helped me quite a bit. However, I think you have left me with a new solution...

How about I come to MS and have you either 1)introduce me to your Ford dealership so I can get that same sweet deal or 2) sell me your '06 Ford since you have an '07 coming .

What '07 Ford did you order...any info you may have? Perhaps I will wait.

Shawn
Talk to Kirk-GM this is a super guy to deal with or the owner Joe Henderson 228-467-9005 Tell them you know me off this site. My personal truck is a F250 Lariat, w/20"factory wheels, leather and most of the options, Retail was 49600. I added a turbo back exhaust, 6" Mac air intake, egt gauge on steering column and a Custom tune SCT from www.innovativediesel.com 3 tunes tow, street w/pilot injection and race. Also has white lift up tonnau cover,liner,chrome deflector, and white guards on all 4 windows. 12k miles. White with light Grey interior. Call me if you just have any questions, Ill be at the dealer today around 10am. 228-216-0900cell. Jeff Jassby