Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Trailering questions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/131827-trailering-questions.html)

terryandalexa 06-25-2006 12:32 PM

Re: Trailering questions

Originally Posted by TopSpin80
when I was 13-14 we lived close enough to the ramp to bicycle there and I "taught" people to launch their boats if they got frusturated.

Thats a funny but so very very true story!! After living, boating, and working around the boats in the SF bay area growing up (Alameda) I saw lots of this. ... although my story didn't include a 36' cig at the house, just an 18' flat bottom jet boat with access to others at work. ... great story!

Formula Outlaw 06-25-2006 02:38 PM

I've always trailered my boat. About the only thing that gets my blood boiling is the idiot who either launching or retrieving, stops on the ramp to get all his little details worked out. For christ's sake, move your rig out of the way to do this stuff and keep things moving smoothly.

More than once I've come close to a fight on a ramp because of some dickhead who doesn't know any better. Six boats waiting to launch and Bubba has to put his fenders away, put his lines away, offload everything off the boat, these morons just drive me up a wall....:mad: :mad:

t500hps 06-25-2006 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
.....More than once I've come close to a fight on a ramp because of some dickhead who doesn't know any better. Six boats waiting to launch and Bubba has to put his fenders away, put his lines away, offload everything off the boat, these morons just drive me up a wall....:mad: :mad:

When returning I usually leave my boat at the side/access piers, dunk my trailer then bring the boat to the trailer. Last year at a ramp for 6 that had 3 REALLY wide gaps between 3 piers I kept trying to back into the eater and idiots would pull there baot in and tie up just as I started backing in. Twice I pulled up and re-positioned for the next ramp. The third time it happened (this hasd gone on for 10 minutes) I pulled up a little and backed right down the middle BETWEEN the 2 boats tied to each dock. Proceeded to retrieve the boat as everyone gave me dirty looks. The dock cop that hangs out there had a few words to say but I pointed out that I was already pulling the boat out of the water and the 2 boats still didn't even have trailers here yet. Call me an azz but don't pull up to the dock as a trailer is backing down in the water.

t500hps 06-25-2006 04:49 PM

For the question:
I wish boat dealers would teach people how to prep a boat and launch/retrieve it. The "idiots" at the ramp usually are out 3-4 times a year and no-one has every taught them anything.
I don't like cheesy ramps with limited access piers. (we don't use them anymore)
I dislike that I'm anal and must clean/wipe the whole boat down before I leave the parking lot.

SUGGESTION! I bring a bucket, spray cleaner, brush on a handle, chamois rag, and 2 gallon milk jugs full of water. I pour one gallon into the bucket and "wash" the sides of the boat while my wife puts everything on the swim platform and wipes down the interior. I use the 2nd gallon as a rinse and then dry the hull before we pull away. Takes 15-20 minutes but the boat is clean and DRY by the time we get home.

The things I like about trailering it......I tow it home and store it INDOORS!!!! Stays much much cleaner that way!!!

kitten 06-25-2006 06:15 PM

In Port Canaveral, Fl (near Cocoa Beach) the ramps are
beside a bar and they have Sunday afternoon 'ramp
follies'. If you make a mistake the bar patrons point,
laugh, and cheer. :eek:

There is a staging area before you get to the ramp so you
better plan ahead or you will inadvertly participate in 'Ramp Follies'. :cool:

There is a wash down area, bring your own hose!

The ramp next to the tiki bar has a hole there so don't
go there! :D I used to back the 302 Scarab trailer down,
never had a incident.

Yeah, don't tie you boat to the dock in the way !
I agree with that one!

Prater 06-25-2006 08:23 PM

I have launched and retrieved small boats for years, but now I have a 357 Formula. Launching is no problem, but retrieving is a bit of a ***** right now. I am on the lake with steep ramps. If I hook the bow of the boat the wind and waves generally put the stern off the centerline. I am looking at modifing the trailer to help. Any suggestions? BTW we always have the boat ready to go before ever pulling on the ramp.

UNSANE 06-25-2006 08:40 PM

Answer to question 1: I dislike it because my trailer is a POS!
Answer to question 2: There are people at the launchsite.......period!!!

Prater: Get some guide ons. That's what I did. It helps big time. I come into that trailer cockeyed all the time and straighten it out while halfway in the trailer, I don't have forward bunks, just that lame 'V' bar and I'm a single engine as well. Sometimes the conditions won't allow for a straight hit. It's a little tough sometimes because hydraulic steering doesn't work too well at idle. I also wax the bunks I do have with Lemon Pledge furninture polish. It helps the boat get all the way up there, especially if I can't sink the traiiler as much, but if you ever wax the bunks, never ever under any circumstances disconnect the strap first and then back down! Wait until the trailer is in the water where you want it, then disconnect the strap. The boat will slide off.

Prater 06-25-2006 08:54 PM

Gregg,

Which guide ons did you use? Have a Pic?

f311fr1 06-25-2006 09:58 PM

i HATE people that load and /or unload while on the launch ramp. I have a mental check list that I perform BEFORE getting into the launch line. I do the list in reverse only after retrieval and moving as far out of the way as possible.

Ms PatriYacht 06-25-2006 10:19 PM

we are 43' and the most important part for me is the dock, some are so short if there is any wind it can be a b*tch plus you have to climb on the bow to get on.

Most of the launches we go to have big parking lots but what gets me is a lot of them say no overnight parking. Since we are talking Lake Erie that's silly since so many people take weekend trips. Plus The lots are never full or even close to being full. I am not looking for a free ride, we can pay the daily fee x's how many days we are there. Each time we launch in Monroe MI, it's a huge hassle because we have to go across the channel to our boat club, dock the boat and walk back about a mile and a half to get the truck to park in their lot. Of course this would be easier if I could drive the truck and trailer, but since the first trailer we ever had was for a 40' boat this is not something that I am comfortable learning on, and of course docking the boat myself is not an option either :(