Cleaning quarter canopies? >

Cleaning quarter canopies?

Notices

Cleaning quarter canopies?

Old 11-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OLD thread, but I've been using Plexus to clean them for the last few years, & it works great. I'd like to try the Marineclean polish sometime too.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:57 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930

Another thing that might help is to look into covering them with a urethane protection film... similar to the products that are use for paint protection on cars. Not only will these give great protection to the surface from abrasions, but they will also add some UV protection. If you go this route, look for the premium products that use a poly liner and have a top coating, no need to go any thicker than a 6 mil urethane. These products will give the best optical quality and the most UV protection. The compound curves of the canopies make it a little more challenging to apply to, but it can certainly be done. I've used these products on my polycarbonate windshield on my race car with excellent results. Some of the open wheel cars are now doing this as well and it's proven to be very helpful with drastically extending the life of the windshield/canopies. Note that these films will also yellow with enough time, but they are cheap and easy to replace.

as a side note, none of the ppf films from avery or 3M will have ANY amount of uv inhibitors in them, it would be detrimental to our industry. All of the films are 100% uv compatible which allows all rays to pass through. We simply cannot have the paint under the film not fading while the rest of the cars paint does. the closest film that is optically clear that has a coating that wont distort is Avery Nano fusion. No other manufacturer will admit to their film being optically clear as it puts them at a liability in event of an accident. tear offs and such for race cars are of a different poly substrate that has no adhesive to affect the optical clarity.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee
OLD thread, but I've been using Plexus to clean them for the last few years, & it works great. I'd like to try the Marineclean polish sometime too.
as good as plexxus is we have found over the years that it can leave a small amount of buildup. at the end of every season just use a soft rag with 70% iso alcohol and rub the canopies down, this will remove any buildup and feel free to reaaply, you may also use dawn dish wash, but both of these will remove wax so just be careful or rewax.