Old 06-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Chester VA, outside Richmond - any info

Might have a job opportunity there.
Any info?
Looks like plenty of water.
What kind of water? Salt? Fresh?
Sorry - I'm a Lake Erie guy - everything is freshwater.
Where does it change from Salt to Fresh from the rivers?
Is it all navigable?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Chester VA, outside Richmond - any info

Great place!! lots of boaters the James river is close Lake Anna isn't too far there are several members from the Richmond area.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sea trialed and bought my boat in Chester Va on the James. Seemed pretty nice in the area , but what do I know. I live 8 hours from there
Old 06-07-2006, 08:08 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I grew up in Chester and live 20 min from there now. We are nearly 100 miles inland, but a number of powerboaters here and the ships come all the way up to Richmond from the bay. Along with single engine boats we have alot of 30-40 footers, Black Thunders, and the 46 ft Cigarette "Strip Poker" just found a new home here. The James river leads to the bay (along with a number of other rivers) and the water is considered Brackish although I can't even taste the salt in the water. As you get around Williamsburg the water has a salty taste and barnicles first start to appear (still no jellys though). A bunch of us make trips down river to the Hampton roads area often and get together year round. We are making a group run of about a dozen boats down Sat. AM to a big festival in Norfolk....all are spending the night rafted up on the hook in Norfolks inner harbor.

Several months ago I heard the un-employment rate in central VA was the lowest in the country. Finding a job is easy, we are having difficulty filling positions we need now. If your opportunity doesn't work out you could probably be at work somewhere else the next week.

Alot of avid boaters but I must admit not alot around the immediate area. A number of local hang-outs but no real big party establishments until you get down to Hampton Roads. Hope you trailer because there are few racks in the area (one in Hopewell that I know of). The Richmond Poker Run is AWESOME! we have 100 spots and it fills months before the run. Cignificant here on OSO is the organizer and does a great job getting prizes, bands, dinners, etc together.

I have a bunch of things running through my head so feel free to call me with other questions (I'll PM you)......I keep thinking, boating from April (early March this year) til October/ early Nov. may be a big factor for you too!

Russ C.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Registered

WOW - Thanks for the quick response guy's.
The position available is "inside" the Co. I already work for. Where it get's tricky, is this Co. hired my wife and moved "us" to Kentucky (we're across the river from Cincinnati). I gave up a pretty good job for her to take this, but I had no-place to move up in my job - she has many opportunities ahead of her.
I took a job at the same Co. because they weren't paying squat down here for my old profession (Carpentry). I figured I'd work it until the weather broke (we moved in late Dec. 2002) - and it was a nice change for me. I decided to stay.
TOTALLY different industry for me, but I was able to apply skills I learned in 15 yrs. construction, and have been moving up quickly.

The "tricky" part is, she still has her job here, and I would almost have to either negotiate both of us moving to Chester (her having a job there - for the same Co.) or negotiate me being able to do the job from here in Kentucky - with some travel involved when needed. Not impossible if they want me, but none the less more negotiating.

t500 - sounds like a nice place, alot like what I was used to on the Maumee River heading out to Lake Erie. I was always a river rat. Only went out to the big water if I was running to PIB, Detroit, or Canada - or out into the Bay for a sunset.
Currently, I'm running nothing, boatless. We made some sacrifices to move here and take the job's we have - and it seems to be paying off. We're both Die-Hard boaters (we met only because we both owned boats, and it got stupid for her to run her's alone, and me run mine alone - so we ran together on my boat). And another boat is in the near future.

And Joe - shhh!!!
Not that I think you'd say anything, but you probably know what I'm talking about.
When are we going to finally meet up - send me a PM.
Hope all is well with Sue and yourself. Boat running good?
Old 06-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 511 Posts

There are a bunch of As$hole Active Thunder owners in Virginia. Watch out for those clowns.

I just moved the Richmond area from Northern VA (DC area). I could not be happier. This is definately a 'true south' area; South of the Mason Dixon line. You would more than likely be very happy here; and be quite welcomed into the boating community. We have a big trip planned of close to 200 miles roundtrip this weekend with a good 15 boats; going to HarborFest this weekend as Russ mentioned.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Registered

Not quite familiar with your region however, I come from t he Northeast and the quality of life and cost of living is much better here. The people are friendly and you can get a lot of house for your $. In addition, I love the Richmond area because it is less than 2 hours from a popular destination in each direction;
North - DC
East - Beach
West - Shenandoah Mountains
South - RTP

Aside from the James and access to the Bay as Russ mentions, there are several large lakes within a 90 minute drive as well, Anna, Gaston and Kerr which has over 800 miles of shoreline (I have a place there). Great place to live!!
Old 06-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

.....and if those guys bore you, you can always come on down and play with the HRPA...
Old 06-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the info everyone.
Sounds like a nice place.
I don't really mind where I'm living now, but that sounds more like the way I'm used to.
Like I said earlier, it'll be a package deal if I get, and decide to take the job. Either her and I both stay here, or they move us both.
I'm not gonna let them put me up in an apartment for the week, and I can travel home weekends - it's 600 miles=8hr's.
It sounds like I'd be able to do the job from another location, but if they wanted to change my wifes job, they are going to have to be somewhat creative, but there has been discussion of that too.
We'll see what happens - it almost seems the job listing was written for me, but, we'll see.
Thanks again.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:03 AM
Registered

Hey Tim,

Admit it. Kentucky has asked you to leave.

j/k

But actually Virginia is on the top of a lot of people's list right now. Regional economy is stable and quality of life is pretty high.

North and South Carolina are popular choices too.

You coming up here this summer?
I owe you a boat ride and you owe me like 47 beers.

Quick Reply: Chester VA, outside Richmond - any info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.