Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How many hours have you gotten out of your... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/132215-how-many-hours-have-you-gotten-out-your.html)

formula1 06-08-2006 06:55 AM

How many hours have you gotten out of your...

How many hours have you gotten out of your HP500?

Still looking at buying this 96 Formula 382 SR 1 with HP500's. The sellers claim that the motors have less than 20 hours, but can't produce receipts! In the last 2 weeks, they've already had to replace the lifters and re-adjust the valves on one motor. The compression is good @ 165 "across the board", although I didn't have it checked myself. The hour meters read like 650 or so.

Before I spend any more time, money or effort, I figured I'd see what ya'll had to say about this matter! :p

BTW, it is a very good buy, but I got alot of other things cookin' now (and it's summer! :cool: ), so I don't want to get into this deal with the easy assumption that I'll being doing rebuilds soon. :rolleyes:

BAJA WILL 06-08-2006 07:09 AM

Re: How many hours have you gotten out of your...

I was originally told you could get 1000 hours before total rebuild. However if they were having problems with a spring, the springs should be replaced in all the cylinders, also I would say 650hrs would be a good time to replace lifters, springs, and go through the motors really good.
:drink:

WILL

t500hps 06-08-2006 07:38 AM

12 hrs :rolleyes: :D

We've already spoke but I've heard 500-1000 on bottom ends, around 200-300 on heads (springs, etc). Never had 500's though.

RonS 06-08-2006 07:48 AM

250 hrs you have to do valve springs, bottom end could probably go for 500.

Wobble 06-08-2006 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by formula1
How many hours have you gotten out of your HP500?

Still looking at buying this 96 Formula 382 SR 1 with HP500's. The sellers claim that the motors have less than 20 hours, but can't produce receipts! In the last 2 weeks, they've already had to replace the lifters and re-adjust the valves on one motor. The compression is good @ 165 "across the board", although I didn't have it checked myself. The hour meters read like 650 or so.

Before I spend any more time, money or effort, I figured I'd see what ya'll had to say about this matter! :p

BTW, it is a very good buy, but I got alot of other things cookin' now (and it's summer! :cool: ), so I don't want to get into this deal with the easy assumption that I'll being doing rebuilds soon. :rolleyes:

Sounds a little fishy to me, seems like he could produce a cancelled check or put you in touch with the engine seller or installer.

Dean Ferry 06-08-2006 10:01 AM

I have a pair of 1997 HP500s with ~70 hours on them, in the classifieds. Sorry for the shameless plug. :rolleyes:
Thanks,
Dean

BLee 06-08-2006 10:16 AM

I know a guy that has over 600 BRUTAL hours on his 500 EFI's.

formula1 06-08-2006 10:56 AM

I have a pair of 1997 HP500s with ~70 hours on them, in the classifieds. Sorry for the shameless plug.
Thanks,
Dean
No shame here! If I knew I could get a really good deal on a set of new (newer) 500's, I'd be down there NOW negotiating a deal! :drink: :p

formula1 06-08-2006 10:58 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, if there ever was a description for "rode hard and put away wet", it would be this boat... :(