Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Pre-boating/trailering Check List (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/132426-pre-boating-trailering-check-list.html)

Tantrum 06-11-2006 05:27 PM

Re: Pre-boating/trailering Check List

Originally Posted by ratman
i also have a 12 ton bottle jack in my box,

:eek:
Dont forget the spare Light plug adaptor :drink:

CBR 06-11-2006 05:40 PM

Good stuff guys, all of it makes sense. I know of a guy who had his new boat trailered by the marina, a trailor tire caught fire, burned a hole into his new boat. They bondoed it, buffed it out, and never told him. He always wondered why his boat was heavy on on side.

"they all lean that way said his dealer." One winter he went to look at his boat and a giant ice barnacle was encrusted on the side of his boat. He had a surveyor look at it, he found the bondo and determined it soaked up water and the dealership finally admitted what they had done. The insurance company wrote off the boat as unsafe to use and had it cut up.

The owner got a new boat from a different dealer.

Sydwayz 06-12-2006 12:02 AM

12"x12" steel plate for setting bottle jack on when on soft ground. Works great for tongue jack too.

I bought a heavy industrial rubber mat (think weight-room) that has holes in it, lined the bottom of my tool box with it. It isolates vibration, and keeps things from sliding.

I also keep a spare set of brake pads. My on the trailer mounted spare has full packed set of bearings and hub for quick change. The only thing I don't have is a spare hub with integrated brake rotor, but I can rig around that if needed.

WD-40

Silicone spray (great for trailer hitch ball to coupler lube)

Shrink wrap tape

1/2" socket breaker bar, 30" long
Small set of sockets to match, that fit truck and trailer lug nuts and others.
(Bought bottle jack and bar and sockets and Harbor Freight)

I also received a nice X-Mas gift... a Matco Cordless Impact Wrench, but I keep that locked in the truck.

chad1 06-12-2006 12:18 AM

My Spare Has Wheel,hub,bearings Ect. Always Thought I Had It Covered. The Braking Hub Is Not The Same And Thats What I Break Late At Night.

Sydwayz 06-12-2006 12:34 AM

Chad1, if that happens again, just take off the rotor, and stick on the plain hub. Stick a piece of the broken rotor in the brake caliper, and zip tie it in there. This will keep the rest of your braking system working fine. Just make sure your regular hub does not rub or hit the caliper. If it does, you can do what I mentioned above, and afix the whole caliper to the back of the axle (ratchet strap/zip tie/JC Perf tape), or just securely pinch off the line and remove it.

Now that I think about it, I am going to find some caps that will fit right over the brake line, so you can undo the brake line from the caliper, and just cap it off.

Jupiter Sunsation 06-12-2006 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by On The Heat
Just setting up my new trailer tool box and would like to see what everyone has as part of their 'check list' for trailering. So far, I have;

Jack
Lug Wrench
Wheel Chocks
Grease Gun
Bearing Grease
Extra Tow Straps
Tire Pressure Gauge
Extra Wire Harness

Spare Boat Plug
Prop Wrench
Extra Prop
Bungy Cords
Misc Tools
Cleaner (for those muddy waters)
Rags

What did I miss?

Make sure you remember to bring the boat, every well stocked trailer needs one! :D

Tony Montana 06-12-2006 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just thought of the one you can't live without the mighty fix all :drink: ............

BY U BOY 06-12-2006 10:11 AM

I Keep Some Sort Of Pad To Lay And Kneel On While Changing The Tire. Don't Forget Swipes To Clean Up With After. That Reminds Me I'm Out.

Wobble 06-12-2006 11:25 AM

Beer
Ice
Wife
Wife's girlfriends
Sun Glasses
Clear Glasses
Sun Block
CASH
Fuel

But then I'm only 1/2 mile from the boat ramp :evilb: