Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Pre-boating/trailering Check List (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/132426-pre-boating-trailering-check-list.html)

Ca$hed Out 06-11-2006 08:56 AM

Pre-boating/trailering Check List

Just setting up my new trailer tool box and would like to see what everyone has as part of their 'check list' for trailering. So far, I have;

Jack
Lug Wrench
Wheel Chocks
Grease Gun
Bearing Grease
Extra Tow Straps
Tire Pressure Gauge
Extra Wire Harness

Spare Boat Plug
Prop Wrench
Extra Prop
Bungy Cords
Misc Tools
Cleaner (for those muddy waters)
Rags

What did I miss?

Indy 06-11-2006 09:10 AM

Re: Pre-boating/trailering Check List

Shawn...what tool box did you end up with and where did you find it. Did you ever get a new trailer?

Tantrum 06-11-2006 09:22 AM

Spare sets of bearings and races. Chances are you will be able to locate a shop with tools if you dont have them but finding a set of bearings will be much more dificult.
Brass punch and a hammer. To pull races if you have to change.
Fire extinguisher, if you lose a bearing its possible to catch the tire on fire. Your fiberglass boat is sitting right over you burning tire which could add to the anxiety of the situation :eek: Tire fire's are not easy to put out so bring a couple.
Heavy duty strap or chain, if you lose a wheel and need to move the trailer you can tie the axel up and out of the way to move it whithout the wheel.
Big file incase you damage the axle.
I have a seperate box for trailer parts and tools. I just throw it in the truck when towing boat, bikes or snowmobiles. This way you dont get distracted and forget something.

99fever27 06-11-2006 10:33 AM

Flares

MitchStellin 06-11-2006 12:46 PM

I carry a 2 ton floor jack and a 4 way wrench because the factory crap sucks, it is a small jack and the handle comes off so it is no bigger than a tool box but works great. Also with the bearing/race would be a whole hub, you can store the other stuff in it. That should do it, besides heat and air you are all set...now you can turn you bumper into air and your truck ignition into a welder...... :D

Tony Montana 06-11-2006 02:36 PM

What about tire plugs and mini 12 volt compressor

ratman 06-11-2006 03:23 PM

50cents for phone call and a nail file, lots of beer, and couple of fatties, an air matress, a palm frond and a lil hottie to fan you with the afore mentioned palm frond :D oh and a tire plug kit and one of those mini air compressors :drink:

ratman 06-11-2006 03:29 PM

i also have a 12 ton bottle jack in my box, dont forget the wheel bearing seal, i also have 2 extra bearing buddies in case i toss one or 2. im running the led lights so i carry a spare sealed led trailer tail light.

NJgr8ful 06-11-2006 04:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ratman
50cents for phone call and a nail file, lots of beer, and couple of fatties, an air matress, a palm frond and a lil hottie to fan you with the afore mentioned palm frond :D oh and a tire plug kit and one of those mini air compressors :drink:

:D :D

Originally Posted by ratman
i also have a 12 ton bottle jack in my box, dont forget the wheel bearing seal, i also have 2 extra bearing buddies in case i toss one or 2. im running the led lights so i carry a spare sealed led trailer tail light.

Yo Phil ... got one of those bottle Jacks too ... they are a MUST! (...... one of each ;) ) :drink: :drink:

bearpaw 06-11-2006 04:46 PM

seals for bearings, I fried a bearing on the way down from IN, it was not fun......