Notices

Max for a Konrad

Old 06-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Max for a Konrad

I'm in the process of converting my Mag from a twin setup to a single setup. I will be going with a 540 bowtie with a blower 871. I'm hoping to get anywhere between 850hp-875hp. What is the max that a Konrad can hold ? Thanks in advance..

jr Mike
Old 06-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Max for a Konrad

Biggus has been on the road for a while. I think he just got in today so I expect that he will chime in soon. If memory serves it was 750 ftlbs?

Jon
Old 06-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont think anyones found out yet i haven't heard of one breaking yet. shoot for 1000 ponies, that way if you dont blow it up i'll feel good about buying a pair and having them live i guess you bought that block and crank combo...that sounded like a sweet deal
Old 06-13-2006, 06:29 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Mike, just do it.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Talking Re: Max for a Konrad

Just got home from the Jacksonville Fire Fighters Poker Run Man, what a good time and an extremely well run event! Hands down one of the best poker runs I've ever attended!

To answer your question Mike, we really don't know what max is because we've yet to have a failure. But here goes the low down.

The Konrad stern drive was designed for military and commercial applications. (US Navy buys 60% of our production) The Konrad unit was originally engineered to handle the torque of a 440 Yanmar diesel. This power plant produces close to 800 ft lbs of torque at 3000 rpm. Our military and commercial applications demand a drive that will last several thousand hours so our published ratings are somewhat conservative given the applications that our drives are presently in. Right now there are several hundred 34' Patrol boats in the Persian Gulf that run 24/7. These boats are powered by twin 380 Cummins turbo diesels making over 800 ft lbs of torque. Drive failure is not an option.

Just for comparison, your average recreational drive is designed to last 10 boating seasons. An average season for most people is just under 40 hrs, so even if you don't blow it up, it's pretty much worn out by 400 hrs. We've got drives in the field, Panama canal patrol boats for example, with well over 5000 hrs on them. And although we don't recommend it, the Navy changes the gear lube on their Konrads at 1000 hrs!

As far as your application Mike, we are very comfortable with our 540 unit behind 800-850 hp as the torque output will be very close to what the drive was originally designed for. Our drives are not built to take the place of the Mercury #6 but the Konrads work very well between the Bravo and the Six and will provide years of reliable service.

...For those who don't know the entire story, I became involved with Konrad as a customer. Since the installation, I've totally eliminated drive failure on my old Top Gun. Presently, I've got 3 seasons and over 200 hrs on my Konrads behind 750 hp. Now I get paid to try and break them. So far I've been unsuccessful.

[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails Max for a Konrad-img_9094-large-.jpg  

Last edited by Biggus; 06-13-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Biggus
Just got home from the Jacksonville Fire Fighters Poker Run Man, what a good time and an extremely well run event! Hands down one of the best poker runs I've ever attended!

To answer your question Mike, we really don't know what max is because we've yet to have a failure. But here goes the low down.

The Konrad stern drive was designed for military and commercial applications. (US Navy buys 60% of our production) The Konrad unit was originally engineered to handle the torque of a 440 Yanmar diesel. This power plant produces close to 800 ft lbs of torque at 3000 rpm. Our military and commercial applications demand a drive that will last several thousand hours so our published ratings are somewhat conservative given the applications that our drives are presently in. Right now there are several hundred 34' Patrol boats in the Persian Gulf that run 24/7. These boats are powered by twin 380 Cummins turbo diesels making over 800 ft lbs of torque. Drive failure is not an option.

Just for comparison, your average recreational drive is designed to last 10 boating seasons. An average season for most people is just under 40 hrs, so even if you don't blow it up, it's pretty much worn out by 400 hrs. We've got drives in the field, Panama canal patrol boats for example, with well over 5000 hrs on them. And although we don't recommend it, the Navy changes the gear lube on their Konrads at 1000 hrs!

As far as your application Mike, we are very comfortable with our 540 unit behind 800-850 hp as the torque output will be very close to what the drive was originally designed for. Our drives are not built to take the place of the Mercury #6 but the Konrads work very well between the Bravo and the Six and will provide years of reliable service.

...For those who don't know the entire story, I became involved with Konrad as a customer. Since the installation, I've totally eliminated drive failure on my old Top Gun. Presently, I've got 3 seasons and over 200 hrs on my Konrads behind 750 hp. Now I get paid to try and break them. So far I've been unsuccessful.

[email protected]

thanks homeboy that answers my question..Konrad it is...the trs gimble is bolt on right ?

mike
Old 06-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, our transom assy is a direct bolt on for a TRS conversion.
We also offer driveline T/A's and our Ace system for Bravo boats.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ratman
i dont think anyones found out yet i haven't heard of one breaking yet. shoot for 1000 ponies, that way if you dont blow it up i'll feel good about buying a pair and having them live i guess you bought that block and crank combo...that sounded like a sweet deal

i haven't yet but will by the end of the week... and let the building begin.....i'm really excited ...so what speeds yall think i will be getting 90-95 mph

jr mike
Old 06-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Biggus
Yes, our transom assy is a direct bolt on for a TRS conversion.

i knew that just wanted to hear it again

mike
Old 06-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Now I get paid to try and break them. So far I've been unsuccessful.
kurt id be willing to try to break a set for free if konrad will supply the drives? id love to see if they will handle 1000ft lbs in a heavy old school boat. if they will hold up the they would replace everything out there with the exception of the six that includes the mini six which im sure is a bit more pricey than konrads.

Quick Reply: Max for a Konrad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.