If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Boats:
    1989 10 mtr Fountain
    La Grange Ill

Re: Any Info on Merc 600SC's?

Quote Originally Posted by khadley
    here's a better pic with the inner coolers added
    How in the heck do you get at the "outside" spark plugs? Is that boat a eliminator?
    I changed engines in a 28' Eliminator cat, and you could'nt even get at the outside plugs after the blowers went on.

Platinum Member Platinum Member GLH's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Burlington, VT

Quote Originally Posted by WildWarrior
    I think they're well built engines, at 300hrs we pulled ours down to add roller cams, pistons and heads.
    Other than valve springs, they would have gone for several hundred more hrs,they are on snooze. Low compression ,low boost, small cams etc.
    The down side is the 420 blowers, it's hard to find parts, I broke two input shafts in the last 3 seasons, which may me partially do to the 7lbs of boost were now running, stock you will see 4lbs or so..
    The only down side I see is how very very thirsty these engines are with the pair of 700cfm Holley's per engine.
    Good Luck!
    The boat I owned previously had them and they are excellent motors.

I suggest watching fuel pressure religiously... (like any blower motors) bottom ends are bullet proof, they are easy to rebuilt and with a chiller and a change of pulley you can get easily 730-740 out of them.

I never had problems with tghe blowers but I did not run more than 5-6# of boost.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sandusky Bay

I have 470hrs on my 600s,, 1997 models and I have changed the valve springs at 330 hrs,,, they are strong engines ,,, they did not come with a chiller ,, I do not believe in changing Merc moters, they are very conservitive and will last from the factory,,, It looks like these have been messed with,,,, they are hard on gas but that comes with the boat deal!!

My Boats:
    38 Scarab AVS
    St. Louis / LOTO

Hunster - I hear ya... price seems a little proud, but I have yet to see the boat in person. Of course, I hope there's a little wiggle room in there.

Khadley - motors were just rebuilt, not sure of who did the work; aren't Merc racing motors supposed to be blue???

RHC - thanks for the info, it sounds like they're pretty bulletproof when ran stock. I'm not sure if they've changed pulleys or anything on these. Better find out.

My insurance man and the gas pump are going to love me if this happens... Thanks, guys for all advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12