Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
3 Manatees Found Dead In St. Johns  .... >

3 Manatees Found Dead In St. Johns ....

Notices

3 Manatees Found Dead In St. Johns ....

Old 06-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 3 Manatees Found Dead In St. Johns ....

Originally Posted by gdfatha
Doesn't the timing indicate a set-up???

First a report downgrading the manatees...

THEN shortly after three are "discoverd " injured/killed/dead???

Looks phony to me...
I'm sure there were 3 dead manatees but would of normally been ignored had they not been upgraded to "threatened". A few months back, the Orlando Sentinel ran a front page Sunday story about a bunch of manatees that were found dead. This was a day or two after they started talking "upgrading". Manatees die everyday but the media would have one think that they only die when "certain things" happen.
I have a journalist in the family (in-law) and they go looking for the "flavor of the month" stories along with trying twist stuff around to fit their point of view. I've watched this person go into interview mode and they'll "attack" the person when they feel that they don't share the same viewpoint......................Fukbagz they are
Old 06-19-2006, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks phony to me...
Ya, there's a certain suspicious element to all of this - and not just the timing, but the fanfare as well.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Shane
I have a fairly simple question....if you fit a manatee with an outdrive or outboard, hard enough to inflict the damage supposedly done, would you not sustain SIGNIFICANT damage to the boat, drive and prop? This alone should raise significant doubt as to the "club's" claims. Hey POWERBOAT MAG! Why not right an article on why the SMC should heralded as the savior of the sea!? You guys in Cali. are just nuts as these freaks in Florida! NIT WITS!

Shane,
EXACTLY!! If you were to hit an adult Manatee @ speed in your skater, I would hate to think what would happen to the people on your boat, (It would be like hitting a floating log/pylon, can you say EJECTION Seat! ) or your boat itself. Why don't we hear more about people hitting manatees and the resulting damage to people and their boats?
Why, you ask, BECAUSE Manatees are being hit by boats that DON"T EVEN FEEL them being struck!
Dean
Dean
Old 06-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Shane,
EXACTLY!! If you were to hit an adult Manatee @ speed in your skater, I would hate to think what would happen to the people on your boat, (It would be like hitting a floating log/pylon, can you say EJECTION Seat! ) or your boat itself. Why don't we hear more about people hitting manatees and the resulting damage to people and their boats?
Why, you ask, BECAUSE Manatees are being hit by boats that DON"T EVEN FEEL them being struck!
Dean
Dean
First .... actually other than the news about finding the corps I have not heard anymore news ...they did say they would Autopsy em.

Second, Dean has a point ...Has anyone ever experienced of known someone that hit one ? I don't know about ejection but would think you would know it ...I would like to know ...Maybe should do a study and Smack a few for Science...

We live on Dr's Lake ( Swimming Pen) and see em all the time during the Summer Months ..We enjoy them ..they love Fresh water from a hose or cabbage ....both being against the law ... My biggest complaint is the no wake at the Dr's inlet Bridge ....During winter months it should be lifted ... ads 10-15 minutes travel time plus waisted fuel ...
Old 06-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks phony to me...
That's what I was saying.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:37 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

If those activists could get run over as easily we'd have something.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:58 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by offthefront
....3 Manatees Found Dead In St. Johns...
What time is the Barb-Q?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
What time is the Barb-Q?
I can't come to the BBQ. My doc just told me my tryglisirides number is 436, and I have to refrain from fatty food. Besides, I can always find fresher roadkill around here. I heard armadillos are lean meat, they are also known as possum on the half shell.

My dogs caught one in my yard last week, but there wasn't much left to eat.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:01 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cuda
...My dogs caught one in my yard last week, but there wasn't much left to eat.
When you post stuff like that you should always post the pic of the pig in the pick up truck Joe!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

A letter from Cpat. Tom Mcgill of CFFW in the local rag newspaper this morning!

Downlisting manatees was based on science

A cartoon by FLORIDA TODAY's Jeff Parker's showing two manatees talking about being reclassified to a threatened species, down from endangered, does a disservice to the scientists at the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, which studied the issue.

The FWC scientists evaluated all the data regarding the status of the manatee species and concluded, several years ago, the manatee should be downlisted.

Parker shows his bias and lack of understanding of what is behind the downlisting.

He only parrots the misinformation espoused by the Save the Manatee Club in his attempt to cover the subject in a cartoon.

Why doesn't Parker address the alligator, which at one time, like the manatee, was listed as endangered and now is numerous?

Perhaps recent attacks on humans will provide him a topic to exploit.

Parker fits well in FLORIDA TODAY's stable of biased and uninformed op-ed page people.

Tom McGill
Merritt Island

Quick Reply: 3 Manatees Found Dead In St. Johns ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.