Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cat Killer ! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/132933-cat-killer.html)

blume 06-19-2006 02:32 PM

Re: Cat Killer !

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
Its more like going from 10,000 to 12,000 to 16,000. Mine wont increse a dime though but thats another story. I respect reggies acomplishments, but this press release, whether its a lie or not, is still rediculous. Impressive speeds, but untill he faces off agianst dave scott or similar power race cat, he shoudl have kept his mouth shut. It was also wrong of him at key west to say that cats are too dangerous for pleasure boats.

I don't know who was first, but both boats had 1550hp Sterlings.........

BigDadys93x 06-19-2006 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by blume

I think what he means is same power same wieght . Yes both had similar power plants but the fountain only wieghed 4500lbs vs 12000 for the cat

salesmanship 06-19-2006 02:43 PM

Well one thing's for sure. They certainly succeeded in generating a lot of press!!! Congratulations.
I've been on more Poker Runs than I can remember. There always have been and always will be some guys trying to prove something and do whatever it takes to be the first to the stop. They'll brag about it the night before and thereafter if they succeed. Like it or not that's what brings some to the run. Usually though after a week or so few will remember or really care for that matter.
Now we have this press release. Was that boat extremely fast? Absolutely!
The problem is that IT WASN'T A RACE!!!! If it was I certainly wasn't informed. How about anybody else? Were the boats that wanted to race allowed to line up together and given a fair start? Were they told that if they were the first to the stop they would get a front page press release?
Were there safety measures in place? NO! Why not? BECAUSE THEN IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A RACE! Why do you think they stopped promoting it in NYC?
Great boat but this type of promotion seems inappropriate.

44MTI 06-19-2006 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by blume

They both had motors that have made 1550hp , probably more. But that is with 17-18# of boost. and 116oct. race fuel..Speed racer has been set up for pump fuel, 8#'s of boost and 93 oct. That's closer to 1150-1200 hp.Meaning he was giving up at least 700hp total. And he still passed Rio.

Havasu Cig 06-19-2006 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by FeverMike
If I remember correctly at the Miami show Speed Racer like many other Cats were bragging about 160+ mph speeds and blah blah blah...well I guess race boat or not speed is speed and Fountain show'd 'em!

The problem is comparing a race boat to pleasure boats. That being said, there are a few pleasure cats on Havasu that run near 180 so maybe the right cats did not show up to spank Reggie. Or maybe Reggie should come out to the spring run in Havasu and see what happens. :rolleyes:

offshoredrillin 06-19-2006 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by salesmanship
Well one thing's for sure. They certainly succeeded in generating a lot of press!!! Congratulations.
I've been on more Poker Runs than I can remember. There always have been and always will be some guys trying to prove something and do whatever it takes to be the first to the stop. They'll brag about it the night before and thereafter if they succeed. Like it or not that's what brings some to the run. Usually though after a week or so few will remember or really care for that matter.
Now we have this press release. Was that boat extremely fast? Absolutely!
The problem is that IT WASN'T A RACE!!!! If it was I certainly wasn't informed. How about anybody else? Were the boats that wanted to race allowed to line up together and given a fair start? Were they told that if they were the first to the stop they would get a front page press release?
Were there safety measures in place? NO! Why not? BECAUSE THEN IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A RACE! Why do you think they stopped promoting it in NYC?
Great boat but this type of promotion seems inappropriate.

Thak you Terry, that was my whole point. I'm not worried about insurance going up at all. What bothers me is when insurance companies ban participation in poker runs all together...If you dont think they have the power look at what happened to muscle cars.

T2x 06-19-2006 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Reggie............

Race this!

Semper Fi 06-19-2006 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Thak you Terry, that was my whole point. I'm not worried about insurance going up at all. What bothers me is when insurance companies ban participation in poker runs all together...If you dont think they have the power look at what happened to muscle cars.

The muscle car era was doomed mainly because of gas shortages/prices and EPA emissions, not insurance.

the duke 06-19-2006 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin

I strongly doubt that insurance companies are going to ban Poker Run participation because of speed.(or press releases) If that was the case, they would have done it already because its always been a big deal to make the point about how fast so and so ran in what Poker Run. What would have more of a chance of the banning happening are accidents like at SOTW, and NYC in the last few years.

I guess you missed the Vette/GTO/Mustang, and the Dodge Hemis. Muscle cars have been back for a while, and they are quicker/faster than anything that Detroit made in the 60's/70's :D

sakoutis3 06-19-2006 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by lucky strike
I was there & ran the entire 150 mile course.

The roughest water I saw was about 7 inches with occasional 9 incher.

With waves that rough its a wonder anyone survived. :D