Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cat Killer ! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/132933-cat-killer.html)

sakoutis3 06-19-2006 05:30 PM

Re: Cat Killer !

I don't know about that with auto ins. I had two ins. co's to choose from 3 years ago when I got my BMW my agent told me they were the only ones other than Loyds of London that insured cars valued at more than 50,000 in NJ

SCRAPMAN1 06-19-2006 05:30 PM

I Keep Seeing That The Fountain Weighed 4500-4700 Lbs--will Someone Educate Me As To How They Got This Information-- I Think This Is Off A Wee Bit.

sakoutis3 06-19-2006 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
My NT is easier to manuver around the dock then my Pantera was, or my dads scarab or century. Its jsut differnt props spinning in, but once your used to it its much easier.

I was thinking more from a visibility stand piont and also all the expensive parts seem to hang further out back with no protection, like swim platforms. I would rather dock my stand up boat before any sit down even a v

44MTI 06-19-2006 05:41 PM

The cat's are much easier to drive, around the docks or out running hard. And these incidentals you all are worried about don't apply to most of the larger cats. Most of the guys I know have a 5% deductible, on a $400K boat(being conservative) that $20K. It takes a pretty big issue to run over that, and if it is only slightly higher, most guys are going to pay the extra as well. If not your insurance will go up more than the difference, If you can still get insurance. Which is the real concern for many. :(

the duke 06-19-2006 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by SCRAPMAN1
I Keep Seeing That The Fountain Weighed 4500-4700 Lbs--will Someone Educate Me As To How They Got This Information-- I Think This Is Off A Wee Bit.

Its way way off. Engines and drives/trans are almost 3000lbs by themselves.

the duke 06-19-2006 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 42MTI
The cat's are much easier to drive, around the docks or out running hard. And these incidentals you all are worried about don't apply to most of the larger cats. Most of the guys I know have a 5% deductible, on a $400K boat(being conservative) that $20K. It takes a pretty big issue to run over that, and if it is only slightly higher, most guys are going to pay the extra as well. If not your insurance will go up more than the difference, If you can still get insurance. Which is the real concern for many. :(

Thats why I raised my deductable. It saved me $300 off $1200 a year.

Thats my question is why cats can't get insurance. I remember the turbine cat in Maryland and I'm sure there were lots of lawsuits, but that is the only major Cat accident I remember seeing.

44MTI 06-19-2006 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by the duke
Thats why I raised my deductable. It saved me $300 off $1200 a year.

Thats my question is why cats can't get insurance. I remember the turbine cat in Maryland and I'm sure there were lots of lawsuits, but that is the only major Cat accident I remember seeing.

I'm not an insurance guy so I'm only guessing like everyone else. I think part of it is that just about any cat will run over 100mph. So if you start to compare V's that run in the speed range you will probably see that the rates are not that much higher on a cat over a comparable speed V. These rates are going to be high because if you a boat capable of these speeds it is probably a pretty expensive boat(ie: liability). Also there is more of chance of problems running these speeds and when that happens it is usually a worst accident. Again higher liability and more payout for the insurance. It all boils down to potential risk and dollars in VS. dollars in. Just my .02.

the duke 06-19-2006 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by 42MTI
I'm not an insurance guy so I'm only guessing like everyone else. I think part of it is that just about any cat will run over 100mph. So if you start to compare V's that run in the speed range you will probably see that the rates are not that much higher on a cat over a comparable speed V. These rates are going to be high because if you a boat capable of these speeds it is probably a pretty expensive boat(ie: liability). Also there is more of chance of problems running these speeds and when that happens it is usually a worst accident. Again higher liability and more payout for the insurance. It all boils down to potential risk and dollars in VS. dollars in. Just my .02.

That all sounds pretty logical. A friends 24' Skater will run just over 100 with twin 225's. Not too many "V" bottoms with 450 HP and 24' that will run over 60.

Plus, you are probably right. The insurance guys have fear that if a Cat wreaks, its going to be very expensive.

hammer01 06-19-2006 06:10 PM

I Talked With My Insurance Guy Last Week And He Stated It Is All The Rule Of Probability And $. Meaning, The Excessive Speeds Over 100 Mph Have A Larger Probability Of More Excessive Danger Ending Up In More $ Of Damage Or Liability. The Old Rule Was Horsepower To Weight Ratio For The Majority Of The Risk Factor. Now Boats Are Lighter And Faster With More Risk Even Yet. An Insurance Company's Claims Due Factor In On Their Rates For Premiums As Does All Other Insurance Lines.

FeverMike 06-19-2006 06:15 PM

Reggie going fast or anyone going fast in a Poker Run does not raise the rates of insurance. Heck with the way you all on here are thinking (offshore drillin') you should be pizzed at every boat test magazine and even this very own website for publishing the speeds of boats.
Come on people I know some of you are not that stupid. :eek: :D