Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cat Killer ! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/132933-cat-killer.html)

Downtown42 06-20-2006 02:35 PM

Re: Cat Killer !

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by biggame
looks like another manufacturer feels the same way

Stu Jones
Florida Powerboat Club
421 South Federal Highway
Pompano Beach, FL 33062

Dear Stu:

......However, after all the work and discussions this industry has put into the clarification that Poker Runs are recreational events and NOT races, I was aghast to see Reggie Fountain arrive with a race boat, two professional racers and a camera crew to document the scenario......

Sincerely,

Skip Braver
Cigarette Racing Team

FUNNY- here's Pair-a-Dice racing with 42 canopied 1550 Sterlings at 2005 Oshkosh Thunder Poker Run. Seems everyone had fun.

FUNNY-Here's Rio Roses at 2005 Windy City poker run. Seems everyone had fun, tnks Haulin Trash.

Skip, Mercury is #6's...I figured you would have known that. Go back to building luxury Colorado homes, something you know well.

That hot, mosquito infested weather down south must get to 'ya all...RELAX-ITS NOT A RACE.

Once again, I'd rather be next to a team of professionals than some idiot rich boy.

Fanatic 06-20-2006 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Downtown42
FUNNY- here's Pair-a-Dice racing with 42 canopied 1550 Sterlings at 2005 Oshkosh Thunder Poker Run. Seems everyone had fun.

FUNNY-Here's Rio Roses at 2005 Windy City poker run. Seems everyone had fun, tnks Haulin Trash.

Skip, Mercury is #6's...I figured you would have known that. Go back to building luxury Colorado homes, something you know well.

That hot, mosquito infested weather down south must get to 'ya all...RELAX-ITS NOT A RACE.

Once again, I'd rather be next to a team of professionals than some idiot rich boy.

Kind of pisses on all the Reggie/Fountain haters and shows a bit of hypocricy now doesn't it?

Brad Zastrow 06-20-2006 04:46 PM

"[QUOTE=Downtown42]FUNNY- here's Pair-a-Dice racing with 42 canopied 1550 Sterlings at 2005 Oshkosh Thunder Poker Run. Seems everyone had fun.

FUNNY-Here's Rio Roses at 2005 Windy City poker run. Seems everyone had fun, tnks Haulin Trash."
end quote.

I was at both of those Poker Runs and I agree it was very cool having those boats there and to see them run. However they did not have press releases and talk garbage about destroying the fleet. It was all in fun at that time even with the Rio Roses boat last year. In both cases they ran hard but not trying to make it a race. I say factories with race agendas can stay home or go to the actual races and keep Poker Runs a fun, safe boating activity.

the duke 06-20-2006 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fanatic
Kind of pisses on all the Reggie/Fountain haters and shows a bit of hypocricy now doesn't it?

Ya think? :evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

lucky strike 06-20-2006 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by biggame
looks like another manufacturer feels the same way

Stu Jones
Florida Powerboat Club
421 South Federal Highway
Pompano Beach, FL 33062

Dear Stu:

While attending the highly successful Jacksonville FireFighters Poker Run last weekend, I, like most other manufacturers, was pleased with the turn out and promotion of the event. However, after all the work and discussions this industry has put into the clarification that Poker Runs are recreational events and NOT races, I was aghast to see Reggie Fountain arrive with a race boat, two professional racers and a camera crew to document the scenario.

Are we just providing lip service, or are we serious about maintaining Poker Runs as events that are open to all powerboaters to enjoy the spirit of boating? If we want to maintain our insurance and credibility, we must stick to this premise.

It was in extremely poor taste and really damaging to the industry to have Reggie put his competitive nature before the good of the sport of pleasure boating. I also believe it was negligent to allow it to happen. How can we expect our customers to act responsibly if the manufacturers act irresponsibly? We should be the leaders of the industry and support the events that were designed for our customers to earn bragging rights—not for the manufacturers to use a Poker Run as a speed demonstration. This action was in direct opposition to the stance that industry leaders took at the Safety Summit meetings at the Miami Boat Show, where all manufacturers supported the safety and status of Poker Runs as non-speed-oriented events.

Offshore powerboat racing is the venue where awards for speed are presented; the industry has also created events like the Lake of the Ozarks Shootout and sanctioned Kilo Runs to create and honor speed records. Go there to compete!

This situation was exacerbated when Fountain circulated a press release under the heading of Fountain Mercury, literally calling the event “competition” stating that the company “entered” its “new offshore Super Boat Rio Roses Fountain Mercury.” Yet it was powered by twin Sterling engines!

And it is a RACE boat, not a Poker Run boat, run by Fountain’s own championship racers! Proudly calling the boat “The Cat Killer” only adds insult to injury in an arena where manufacturers attend as colleagues.

The verbiage in the release reads exactly like a race report, stating that the “Super Vee Unlimited-class offshore racer” can “outrun, out-handle and outlast the Super Cats, especially in rough water.” Then why choose a flat water river run to make this performance?

I strongly suggest that the rules of Poker Runs exclude race boats and that rule be enforced at all events. Why spoil the fun for recreational boaters who are out to show the performance of their equipment and win a poker hand, while one manufacturer makes his “story of the day” about dominating the fleet?

We all build fast, exciting boats. Should Cigarette bring its Kilo Run boat with John Tomlinson at the helm to a Poker Run? I do not think that is appropriate. Poker Runs are NOT the forum for racing boats; they are a social event where manufacturers and our customers can show the latest recreational models.

I am copying the other leading powerboat manufacturers and press on this letter as we are all trying to work together to promote this industry and sport. We hope that you, the Poker Run promoters who have build these events, will take a stand to continue the safety and spirit of what has driven the powerboat industry for the past decade. Ego destroyed powerboat racing, let’s not let it destroy Poker Runs.

Sincerely,

Skip Braver
Cigarette Racing Team

Skip

You are right !

If anyone brings a Gun to a knife fight they will be the winner !

Lucky Strike

offshoredrillin 06-20-2006 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow

I was at both of those Poker Runs and I agree it was very cool having those boats there and to see them run. However they did not have press releases and talk garbage about destroying the fleet. It was all in fun at that time even with the Rio Roses boat last year. In both cases they ran hard but not trying to make it a race. I say factories with race agendas can stay home or go to the actual races and keep Poker Runs a fun, safe boating activity.

has been my point all along, this coupled with ins industry pressure is another piece to the puzzle.

eMotiondriver 06-20-2006 06:30 PM

CAPO71, Thank you for the hours, of laughing my ass off :drink:

Sydwayz 06-20-2006 07:00 PM

Skip is DEAD ON the money.

How are any of the manufacturers going to sell boats if they pull stunts like this which will destroy buyers/owners ability to obtain or afford insurance? Seriously, how many 27-38 stock powered Fountains is Reggie selling because he can run 170+ mph in an example of the Indy-Car equivalent of the go-fast boating industry??????

A poker run is NOT A FOOKING RACE!!!! You can bring whatever boat you want to whatever event, but don't tout it as a race when its not.

I would think the only way you could 'dominate a field' in a Poker Run is if you pull Aces all day at each stop, right? That's the only competition that I signed up for.

Many people are missing the point that there are really two types or classes of Poker Runs.

There are these high dollar, high entry fee, lots of glitz and glamour, big stakes runs that keep getting these bad wraps with incidents and race accusations and such.

Then there are the 'working stiff's' poker runs, which I would lump the James River, Leukemia/Chesapeake Bay, Hampton Roads, Smith Mountain Lake, and some other ones into. EXTREMELY HIGH fun factor, no racing; and therefore the party and camaraderie take center stage, as opposed to bragging rights. Except for who might have the slowest boat due to all the beads they brought.

Unfortunately the writing is on the wall. Poker Runs are going to be either banned by jurisdictions, or eliminated for coverage by the insurance companies of individual policyholders. Its going to eliminate the ability to throw or attend a Poker Run event for anyone that does not clear 7 figures a year in personal income; and that my friends;

sucks ass.

monstaaa 06-20-2006 07:54 PM

all said, Reggie is indeed the KING. he is a living legend. we should all respect and support ALL that he has done for our industry in the last 25 yrs. do you think evry comment made from fountain is actually his, or more he get's blmaed for. as well poker runs are indeed an event to show your stuff. and on many, many occaasions many of powerboater's have done exactly what they condemn others for.
i myself have glass in my house , so i chose not to throw stones. i am not attempting to excuse anything, rather just ery to bring attention to the fact that we all press to push the envelope, that's why there are steps and pads and 1500h.p engines. the most important thing to keep in mind is to try to be safe in youir ego management.

good luck to all , and have a great boating season.

FeverMike 06-20-2006 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Downtown42

A M E N ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I find it funny as heck that ole Reggie got Skips panty's in a wad. Nice to know Skip looks at the Fountain website.

Skip I love your Cigarette's (I even bought a t-shirt!) I'm excited about the Cig center console coming out. I own a Fountain but none of this would ever sway me to buy one boat over the other...we know Fountain is always faster!

As the saying goes....race a Fountain, smoke a Cigarette.

Maybe Reggie should do a t-shirt in that and compete with your shirt sales! :eek: :cool: :D