Notices

Trailer Scrape

Old 06-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Trailer Scrape

Originally Posted by Jayl13
I would think the hitch being such a big drop or flip up would break no? Joe, no I cant back it in on an angle the ramp I use in Delray Beach is not that big. Ill measure the difference on Sunday when I take the boat out again.
Im not exactly sure the height difference between a 235-75-16 and a 285-75-16 would be but I think any bump up would be an improvement since when I scrape the ramp its pretty bad. Offshoredrillin, You feel comfortable pulling out a 42 tiger and trailering with an upside down 8" hitch? I would think if you stopped in a panic, that drop part welded onto the solid hitch tube bar, I would think it would bend real bad or even break and now you have 13000 lbs on safety chains and probably digging up the street and destroying the front of the trailer. That just makes me a little nervous since there is so much weight, If the boat was some 21 foot bass boat or something I would have no issues with this at all but just the sheer weight of the apache that makes me a little nervous.
J
I ball mount comes from the manufacturer with a specified rating. Whatever it is rated at is what the ball mount can handle....pretty simple. That rating is good regardless of which direction the mount is in the hitch.

Buck
Old 06-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have seen trailers with a steel roller on each side where it hits the ground...........mark...........
Old 06-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by el indio
I have seen trailers with a steel roller on each side where it hits the ground...........mark...........
THat was another thought of mine, small set of wheels or small axle under the middle of the trailer.
So who makes a ball mount that can handle this weight? Reese or someone else?

Im leaning towards putting the larger tires on the truck and if I can get a ball mount that sits a little higher than what I have now that should take care of the problem or at least set up the trailer so that it just might bump the ground and thats it.
J
Old 06-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Registered

what about the equalizer bars?............m.m..........
Old 06-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Registered

Mark, are those the 2 fork type things that hook to the hitch reciever and to the 2 frame rails of the trailer with chains? Load leveler things?
Old 06-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Registered

yes. on my rigg they pick up rear end shifting weight to front end of vehicle.lube pivot points to cover for angle down ramp...........m.m....in 50 years of this boatin stuff i did learn a little..........this education was not cheap by any means!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............mark......... ...
Old 06-17-2006, 11:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

i'll take a pic when I get to the shop, you can get the height very easily.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A 8" drop/rise hitch used just at the ramp?
Old 06-18-2006, 07:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
A 8" drop/rise hitch used just at the ramp?
no all the time, but it gives you the height you need...
Old 06-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Banned

The problem you will run into by raising the ball, is that it puts more weight on the back tires. I've noticed it on just pulling my 22 Donzi on my F 350. I need a drop hit to level it out to even up the weight.

I have a hitch that had equalizer bars on a camper trailer that I use to own. I had two different set of spring for it, 500# springs, and 1000# springs. You could actually put the 1000# springs on, drop all the links that tighten it up, and you could lift the back tires of the truck off the ground. That was an F 150. I'll go take a picture of the hitch in a minute to see if it's the same thing you guys are talking about. If it's what will work, I don't have the springs anymore, but I don't need the hitch, and Jay can have it for free if he thinks that would be the ticket.

Quick Reply: Trailer Scrape

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.