Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   XM or Sirius for my boat......... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/133067-xm-sirius-my-boat.html)

Semper Fi 06-19-2006 10:08 AM

Re: XM or Sirius for my boat.........

Originally Posted by pm203
I have had both and always liked XM better untill yesterday. While rafted up along side my buddy ,it took me 20 minutes on hold for a second time to re-activate my XM while my buddy calles Sirius and had his radio going in about five minutes! XM customer service is very slow.We sell both XM and Sirius and while I still like the music content of XM a little better, their customer service will drive me to Sirius.

I have had this problem a few times with XM. Every 3 months or so, my XM would lose signal and take at least an hour to re-aquire the signal. I usually have to call XM to fix it and re-send the signal :mad:

Shorgasm 06-19-2006 10:24 AM

I'm thinking about the S50 with two docks..I'm not real into the FM modulator so is there any other option to hook it straight to my Alpine HU?.

Sydwayz 06-19-2006 10:42 AM

I am using the Starmate Replay:

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...7870&scId=7875

I have a dock in the truck, car, and boat. In the truck and car I use the internal FM modulator. In the boat I plug into the headphone jack and convert that via a gold plated Monster Cable to an RCA. My stereo has an input for RCA from other accessories. Works great, sounds great, last long time.

cbeastwood 06-19-2006 11:17 AM

I have XM in the truck and Sirius in the boat.

Do you like World Cup Soccer? Then go with XM!

It depends on what you like, entertainment-wise and music-wise. If you're a Stern fan, go with Sirius. If you like Opie & Anthony then go with XM).

I've heard that if you're into 80's hair bands, Sirius has better channels. If you're into hardcore punk music, Fungus on XM is better than anything on Sirius.

If you like newer X-Games-style stuff, go with Sirius because their channel Faction plays a great cross-section of adrenaline-rising music that's great for a day on the boat.

I have also heard that Sirius has better classic rock channels...

The nice thing about having XM in the truck is their XM traffic service which is integrated into my GPS system. I think Sirius has it, too. I also think both now offer nautical weather reports as well (for an additional charge).

I hope this wasn't too confusing...

JETBOAT BRIAN 06-19-2006 11:34 AM

I have both....and I like Sirius a lot better....XM ..on the comedy channels anyway....is getting more and more commercials...

Son of a Gun 06-19-2006 12:05 PM

Sirius is the way to go, IMO.

Shorgasm 06-19-2006 03:13 PM

Anyone got the S50?....

florida gator 06-19-2006 05:43 PM

I had the Sirius mounted in the truck and bought a portable docking station. I am able to put the docking station in my wifes Expedition when taking the boat out and easily move it to the boat when I drop it in the water. The FM modulated unit is nice when rafting. Just get a few boats to tune in to the station and everyone is listening to the same thing.

As far as the lifetime subscription, I understand it to be tied to the unit also. If the unit is no longer the "in" thing you will need another sub.

Craney 06-19-2006 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by cbeastwood
I have XM in the truck and Sirius in the boat.

Do you like World Cup Soccer? Then go with XM!

It depends on what you like, entertainment-wise and music-wise. If you're a Stern fan, go with Sirius. If you like Opie & Anthony then go with XM).

I've heard that if you're into 80's hair bands, Sirius has better channels. If you're into hardcore punk music, Fungus on XM is better than anything on Sirius.

If you like newer X-Games-style stuff, go with Sirius because their channel Faction plays a great cross-section of adrenaline-rising music that's great for a day on the boat.

I have also heard that Sirius has better classic rock channels...

The nice thing about having XM in the truck is their XM traffic service which is integrated into my GPS system. I think Sirius has it, too. I also think both now offer nautical weather reports as well (for an additional charge).

I hope this wasn't too confusing...

Sirius hands down. If you want to hear O&A you dont need XM just tune in regular radio. They need listerns. :D :D

Shore Thing 06-19-2006 10:30 PM

I have sirius in the car and boat. I've had many rental cars with xm. No comparison, go with sirius. many many more program options.