New Member Looking for Boat Advice >

New Member Looking for Boat Advice

Notices

New Member Looking for Boat Advice

Old 06-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Looking for Boat Advice

This is my first post but I have been lurking here while I have been job hunting since Jan. Well now I have a job and am beginning more seriously boat hunting. I live in Kansas City and have been looking at boats for LOTO, however, I will now be working in Dearborn. I am wanting to know what is the boating like in Lake Erie and around Detroit compared to LOTO. This means boat styles, night life on the water, a "party cove" atmosphere, etc. Also, is the water a little calmer ? What size of boat is necessary. Can I get by with a 26 eliminator daytona or some similar cat, or would I need something bigger and maybe a V like I would at LOTO. I can't afford the bigger cats or their insurance. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: New Member Looking for Boat Advice

here ya go and its allready in lake erie
Attached Thumbnails New Member Looking for Boat Advice-playboy-002.jpg   New Member Looking for Boat Advice-playboy-017.jpg   New Member Looking for Boat Advice-playboy-013.jpg  

Old 06-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Registered

I will sell you my 26 footer deep V with twin sbcs for 16 grand on the trailer and deliver it to dearborn for no extra charge.

Great Lake erie boat.

I bought it in Milwaukee and brought it here for that reason.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Registered

I guess that I should have specified that this is probably a year long process I'm beginning. I haven't even started work yet or moved, so I will be doing those things first. I plan on buying by next spring probably for that summer. I appreciate pointing out specific boats but I am still looking for what type of boat is best for the lakes in the area, and will narrow them down over the winter. I would like a 26 ft cat and am seeing if that would work for the lakes there.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Registered

rjl, welcome to the board. You might also want to visit www.lakestclair.net, a site centered on (duh!) Lake St Clair and surrounding waters.

I'm sure some of the LEOPA guys will chime in on Lake Erie. One thing is for sure, both Lake Erie and Lake St. Clair are comparatively shallow bodies of water, which means the wind can have a much bigger effect on conditions. And that the waves tend to be steeper and closer together than you would find in Lake Michigan or areas like the Gulf of Mexico or the Pacific Ocean.

Good luck on your search. (begin self-interested plug) I just sent my 29' Powerquest to a broker up here for lack of time to use it. If you would be interested, please shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]. (end of self-interested plug!)

If you provide a bit more information on what you need in a boat, including your price range, I'm sure there's a ton of folks that would be willing to help you out

- DR
Old 06-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Registered

Lake Erie has a couple nice cats, but deep Vs rule because of the short steep waves of Lake Erie.

It's kind of Cigarette country.

There are some small fair weather cats, and some large heavy cats, but I don't think that I have ever seen a medium sized cat on this lake in the 40 years I've lived next to it.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Registered

So it looks like I'd be going from one rough lake (LOTO) to a couple of others. I guess I may as well start thinking about older but bigger vees. I am drawn to something like Active Thunder's 28 or 32 or maybe a Cig bullet. My price range will depend on where I live and storage costs etc., but it will be under $90k most likely. Thanks for the advice and keep it coming.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

90k will get u a 90s top gun
Old 06-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dreamer
90k will get u a 90s top gun
I have seen some, but I would probably prefer a smaller boat for my first one and spend as little as possible. Maybe as big as a cafe, but I'd rather have a newer nicer smaller boat, or one that has been restored well with modern paint.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Registered

Take a close look at the Active Thunder. I have a 28 its my 2nd one. just love the boat. single motor 1/2 the fuel and all that goes along with twins. handles the rough great. I tink Pat has a demo 2005 w a 525 xr down there now at a great deal. the older 32s are great also if you want twins. good luck

Quick Reply: New Member Looking for Boat Advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.