Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   You Want "real Offshore" You Got It!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/133317-you-want-real-offshore-you-got.html)

Shane 06-21-2006 07:12 PM

Re: You Want "real Offshore" You Got It!!!

That is really cool. Good luck for a safe and FUN race! Brings back a lot of memories. :cool:

Shane 06-21-2006 07:13 PM

What do you think the first excuse will be? :evilb: :drink:

FeverMike 06-21-2006 07:31 PM

this could be the race of the year or decade for that matter. I hope this pans out for you all. Someone mentioned get Speed Channel on it. that would be nice but they are VERY expensive so it would be cheaper for the promoter to get OSO to do a live webcast.

Havasu Cig 06-21-2006 07:58 PM

The Speed Channel covered the poker run that Dick Simon Marine sponsored back in 02 and I have a pretty cool tape of the coverage. I would think if they would do a poker run, they would be interested in doing a race at the same location.

NefariousOne 06-21-2006 07:58 PM

I'll only pay to see it if "Cat Killer" competes..... :evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

CMG 06-21-2006 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by NefariousOne
This totaly needs to be on TV......

This is a fantastic idea.

I say call Keith Jackson and ABC Wide World of Sports :cool:

Son of a Gun 06-21-2006 08:20 PM

With all of the members of OSO, someone here has to know someone that knows someone that knows someone that can get a TV broadcast of this.

Top Banana 06-21-2006 08:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I would like to add a word of caution to the racers that are considering racing in this event.

The Pacific Ocean is not something to be taken lightly. It can look very calm and still catch you on a regular basis, with a rogue wave that you didn't think was there.

Open ocean racing is a very different animal than what you have done lately. I believe that a real racer will race anywhere at any time in any conditions. The only reason you haven't raced in the open ocean lately, is the sanctioning bodies and promoters have laid out the courses to be up and down the coast and in circles. This is not the racers fault, and doesn't mean that they don't have the ability to race in the ocean.

Please be careful and respectful of the ocean. Have a safe race and be prepared to absolutley love this type of racing. When you can say that you won over the ocean and the competiton, that is something worth remembering.

Top photo is a calm water race in the Pacific. Betty Cook on the inside and me on the outside. At this particular race, Bob Nordskog and his crew were thrown from their boat by a rogue wave. Doesn't look tricky does it?

Bottom photo was a rough water race in Argentina. One boat sank and the crew was rescued by a passing freighter from their liferaft. Many other boats were damaged and failed to complete the race.

Zudnic 06-21-2006 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shane
What do you think the first excuse will be? :evilb: :drink:

My excuse is that my customers need a visit that just happens to fall around the same dates as the race. :drink:

OSO 06-21-2006 09:13 PM

If you all are in to this REAL Offshore stuff you will enjoy the video of the Offshore Race to Bimini in the Video section if you have not already seen it

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=101710