Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tangeir Island? Other trips from VA coast (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/133535-tangeir-island-other-trips-va-coast.html)

duksrule 06-23-2006 05:24 PM

Tangeir Island? Other trips from VA coast

Anyone been there? The island in the middle of the Chesapeake bay? Woth the trip? I promised the wife that if we bought a big boat we could do trips. This one is on her list. I hear the entire island is dry. This doesn't sound fun to me.

Also looking at going to watch the pony swim when it rolls around or go out to that island and look at stuff.

What are some other good day trips from the tidewater area?

rush 06-23-2006 05:31 PM

Re: Tangeir Island? Other trips from VA coast

I live at smith point its about 10 miles east of me,its dry but you should try it ,its a little tricky geting in to the island, try a yahoo search on it.

sonicator 06-23-2006 07:17 PM

I have been there not by boat, flew in the plane. It is interesting, you either ride a golf cart everywhere or walk. Descent fresh seafood, worth a walk around the town.

t500hps 06-23-2006 10:39 PM

A buddy went there by boat last year with the intention of spending the night. He said the bugs were so bad and the fish smell was so strong that they didn't even get tied up in the slip before they decided to leave.....I've never been and would only plan a day stop after hearing that.

We do some longer runs though. Last year a large group ran from the Potomac to Baltimore with several stops inbetween over a 4 day weekend....AWESOME!!!

good2go38 06-24-2006 07:17 AM

It has been a few years since I have been there. It is a nice place to visit for the day. Crisfield Md. is about 10 miles or so away and had a nice marina/hotel and some good places to eat. If you are looking for an exciting night life I don't think you will find it there.

Reckless32 06-26-2006 06:23 PM

I too have flown via plane several times to Tangier just to do lunch and pop back out to work. It is a confirmed dry locality, but a lovely spot to drop in and take a nice walk around and grab a little something to eat. People are friendly and fishing of course is a way of life. Chesapeake Bay magazine did a really nice article on a boat visit there a couple of months ago. Around here there are many nice places to go with the wife via boat from Va. Beach.

Sydwayz 06-26-2006 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps
A buddy went there by boat last year with the intention of spending the night. He said the bugs were so bad and the fish smell was so strong that they didn't even get tied up in the slip before they decided to leave.....I've never been and would only plan a day stop after hearing that.

We do some longer runs though. Last year a large group ran from the Potomac to Baltimore with several stops inbetween over a 4 day weekend....AWESOME!!!

Ditto that trip! Awesome. Come with us this year. Its August 18-21 this year. BIG party.

We stopped at St. Michaels on the way back last year. Take the wife there. She will like that.