Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
BOATING SAFETY-- what do you think? >

BOATING SAFETY-- what do you think?

Notices

BOATING SAFETY-- what do you think?

Old 06-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: BOATING SAFETY-- what do you think?

here is my thought for what it is worth! stop being puzzies, the faster the better, if someone get's hurt that is to bad. same with snowmobiles, motorcycles, etc...... the fact is sometimes people get hurt or killed, that is just the way it is.... let's not let it ruin everybodies fun. I don't need you or anybody else telling me how fast my toys can go.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wish (MY) Insurance was reflected in my own safety record
Old 06-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Registered

here is me, I speek from experiance
Attached Thumbnails BOATING SAFETY-- what do you think?-rondack-romp-venom.jpg  
Old 06-26-2006, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
My thoughts here were not to let an organization or our government control us....what I was thinking was for us to regulate ourselves. before we can't have any fun.

I do agree that ANYONE driving a powerboat, jet sji, etc... should take a USCG/PowerSquadron course to have some kind of boating knowlegde for safety reasons. I gurantee that would reduce the amount of incidents.

SF, I was not suggsting that anyone needs to control the possible top speed of a boat but rather the "organizer" of a poker run has to control the "event" for the safety of all participants In my opinion, the safety of the many outweighs the need to satiate the egos of the few..
Old 06-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hugetime1
here is my thought for what it is worth! stop being puzzies, the faster the better, if someone get's hurt that is to bad. same with snowmobiles, motorcycles, etc...... the fact is sometimes people get hurt or killed, that is just the way it is.... let's not let it ruin everybodies fun. I don't need you or anybody else telling me how fast my toys can go.

just an example of how responsable people are, is someone like this hurt one of my kids or my wife , will be no trial, he will not make hes way to court,
Old 06-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Registered

the rule generally is "what risk does an activity posie to others", once that question is answered it becomes clear when things should, and should not, be regulated. Regulations are not there to stop the speed boat driver from going fast, it is to protect the innocnet bystander.

It is a slipery slope, if people want to take chances with their own property and life, they should be allowed, but not if it means at the same time putting those who have had no say at risk.

BTW - I am a speed nut too, currently building motors to try and go ever faster, so I say this with some hesitation
Old 06-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Registered

The insurance companies will keep upping the premiums until it not feasible to own the 160mph boats. Inland lakes will start putting speed limits on water ways making it hard to boat inland. By limiting the use the manufactures will follow by building slower boats to sell to the boating public.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess it must be different in every state...but in Connecticut, you have to take a boaters safety course in order to get your boating license. Then if you want to use a PWC, you have to take a whole different course for that. At the same time, you can take both classes in one day and it is only a 10 hour class, but I guess thats better than nothing.

Any sport/activity involving speed involves risk. There are a million ways to die...one of them is in a fast boat. Another is slipping on the deck of your sailboat while its docked, hitting your head on a cleat and falling in the water. But I don't like sailboats, I like fast boats, so thats the risk I take. I try not to involve other people in that risk by staying at a reasonable speed and being as careful as possible when other people are on the boat. Maybe I am a pothead and none of that makes sense, but thats just how I feel.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by orss
just an example of how responsable people are, is someone like this hurt one of my kids or my wife , will be no trial, he will not make hes way to court,
I think yours is the irresponsible post. You would intentionally cause injury to someone that accidentally caused injury. By your logic we should kill all the little old ladies that run stop signs and cause accidents. Your suggestion is irresponsible and criminal. I thought you were a first responder. You don't sound like you have a very high regard for human life.

The rest of you seem to value "freedom from" more than "freedom to". Every time you provide the masses freedom FROM something, you limit my freedom TO DO something. You sound like the retirees in Flirida that move to the water and then want to ban powerboats because they are too loud.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I enjoy the freedom of my boat. I enjoy going out to the open water and driving my boat fast. I like to feel it accelerate and I like to feel it fly. I am careful, and I keep a safe distance from other boats. If someone gets hurt, I tried not to be a danger to anyone, but it happens.

You folks have to realize -- we can be as safe in this world as we want to be. We can make highway speed limits 5 mph. We can outlaw boats and airplanes completely. We can require people to wear padding similar to football players whenever they get out of bed. Everyone can have freedom from danger. But there goes my "freedom to".
Old 06-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
I think yours is the irresponsible post. You would intentionally cause injury to someone that accidentally caused injury. By your logic we should kill all the little old ladies that run stop signs and cause accidents. Your suggestion is irresponsible and criminal. I thought you were a first responder. You don't sound like you have a very high regard for human life.

The rest of you seem to value "freedom from" more than "freedom to". Every time you provide the masses freedom FROM something, you limit my freedom TO DO something. You sound like the retirees in Flirida that move to the water and then want to ban powerboats because they are too loud.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I enjoy the freedom of my boat. I enjoy going out to the open water and driving my boat fast. I like to feel it accelerate and I like to feel it fly. I am careful, and I keep a safe distance from other boats. If someone gets hurt, I tried not to be a danger to anyone, but it happens.

You folks have to realize -- we can be as safe in this world as we want to be. We can make highway speed limits 5 mph. We can outlaw boats and airplanes completely. We can require people to wear padding similar to football players whenever they get out of bed. Everyone can have freedom from danger. But there goes my "freedom to".
i don't have nothing against speed , but yes i have against irresponsible that run excessive speed in Commons areas where people and there families go to enjoy a day, you want to race fast if ok with me , if you do it in the open where no body got hurt

Quick Reply: BOATING SAFETY-- what do you think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.