Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
BOATING SAFETY-- what do you think? >

BOATING SAFETY-- what do you think?

Notices

BOATING SAFETY-- what do you think?

Old 06-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: BOATING SAFETY-- what do you think?

I think Semper Fi has brought up a very good issue with some mind provoking thought. I don’t think the high-end poker run boats will be regulated or limited unless there are serious accidents involved. As long as there are no accidents or loss of limb or life, it will remain run what you brung. Individual’s personal pocket book’s will be the limit on boats, engines, and insurance.

What I think is the more serious issue is the lack of education for the Sea Ray, Bayliner, Larson, etc crowd. Too many people on the water do not understand the most basic rules of the waterways or general boating etiquette. Each day this past weekend I had boats approaching from my port side and did not understand that it was them that was supposed to give way. I had to cut in behind both of them to avoid a situation and one guy flipped me off. These same people don’t understand the buoy systems, no wake zones or understand the proper distances to keep from the shoreline. However after 30 years or accident free boating, and two boating safety courses, I’m an ass hole because my boat is loud! Go figure
Old 06-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Registered

as safety guy i'm glad to hear all yours stories about how safe you are no meter what speed are you running, but the reality is Mr. big pocket can ruin that for you guys, how? well mr. big pocket buy a go fast boat join the next poker run want to show off without the ability or the knowledge, so he have an accident,how big you think the press will go on it? how much your insurance will be next year? how many new regulations will be put on place?

who is really going to sufer is the responsable guy,

when someone in a jetsky or in a bass boat have an acciden people don't think in speed boat, just think of water craft, but is fast boat have an accident i just can see the headline ''fast boat going over 100mph involvein an accident'' and all hell will breal lose, just my $0.02

Last edited by orss; 06-26-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Airpacker
I think the bigger question is how many guys out there have the real knowledge and skill to SAFELY operate a 100+++mph boat. Not what they perceive as that knowledge and skill but the actual, required knowledge. Now, take an underskilled driver in a 140 mph boat and drop him in the middle of a poker run fleet where many other boat operators lack some of the necessary knowledge and skills and have something, anything go wrong. Dangerous?
That is the point I was trying to make about the "old timers" in my safety classes telling me I was wrong because they knew better.

If I had a spare 2 or 3 million dollars laying around, I could make a call today and buy Speed Racer (she is still for sale I believe) and I'm not qualified to drive that boat 10 mph let alone 170. But all it would take is a check. An example of a driver of one of these that is dangerous is in teh video on Sharky's site of Fisco in Jet Set doing a high speed pass at the NYC poker run. He blows by the stern of a water taxi only a few feet off it. If Fusco would have been 2 or 3 seconds slowers there would have been a VERY nasty fatal accident. Thats where the stupid in high speed boats shows up.

But fortunatly, the number of really fast dangerous driven boats out there pales in comparission to the number of everyday sea rays, bayliners etc that are driven by drunks and just plain idiots.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
Not trying to start a pissing match with you, but you can't even compare the two. Not even close.
Me neither. However, you brought it up, and I am STILL fighting to protect our freedom. I think our freedom to pursue happiness is just as important as any freedom protected by the Bill of Rights.

Your thread started by asking for our thoughts. Here they are. Limiting my speed so the rest of the world can have lower insurance rates is a bunch of BS. Insurance is a game of math. If you want to write a policy for a boat, figure the probability of a claim, the limit of your liability (ie: the policy limit), the probability of you hitting that amount for a claim, and the premium you need to cover the risk and then make a profit. Offer the policy for sale. If people want it, they will buy it.

Unfortunately, insurance companies are too busy trying to collect premiums but at the same deny claims. Instead of limiting my speed, why don't we limit their profits?

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
Don't talk to me about freedom.
Oh wait -- I am not qualified to talk to you about freedom because I am not an ex-Marine. Sorry. I'll stop.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't see this as freedom or regulations. I think it's as simple as being responsible.

Personally, I wouldn't do 160 mph in a poker run with 120+ other boats around . I don't know what the other drivet is thinking, I don't know what his qualifications are.

I'm more worried about the other guy than I am about myself. This is why I don't like to race people, I don't trust them....
Old 06-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
Me neither. However, you brought it up, and I am STILL fighting to protect our freedom. I think our freedom to pursue happiness is just as important as any freedom protected by the Bill of Rights.

Oh wait -- I am not qualified to talk to you about freedom because I am not an ex-Marine. Sorry. I'll stop.
Since you are a defense attorney, I guess you represent some of the "bad' or "guilty" people who break our laws and take away others freedom?

I didn't say you weren't qualified or had a right to talk about freedoms. You are the one in post # 29 talking about "us" screwing up your freedom.

Semper Fi= 2
X-rated= 0

Just giving you are hard time

Last edited by Semper Fi; 06-26-2006 at 06:15 PM.