Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tried something new this weekend...Hang Gliding! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/133700-tried-something-new-weekend-hang-gliding.html)

Airpacker 06-26-2006 12:16 PM

Tried something new this weekend...Hang Gliding!

I must say it was an interesting experience. My wife gave me an introductory tandem hang gliding ( hang soaring really) flight for fathers day. Pretty cool although a little un nerving looking at the ground 1500 feet below you and having basically a flying lawn chair cross bred with a tent above you :eek: The modern hang glider actually soars like a modern glider plane does. We started at 1000 feet from a cable tow and climbed on thermals to 1800. I was amazed at the climb and turn rates these things have. Real seat o the pants flying :)

If the chance arises, I highly recommend trying it out. It won't be something I give up boating for but it was a cool experience.

Bobthebuilder 06-26-2006 01:22 PM

Re: Tried something new this weekend...Hang Gliding!

Originally Posted by Airpacker
I must say it was an interesting experience. My wife gave me an introductory tandem hang gliding ( hang soaring really) flight for fathers day. Pretty cool although a little un nerving looking at the ground 1500 feet below you and having basically a flying lawn chair cross bred with a tent above you :eek: The modern hang glider actually soars like a modern glider plane does. We started at 1000 feet from a cable tow and climbed on thermals to 1800. I was amazed at the climb and turn rates these things have. Real seat o the pants flying :)

If the chance arises, I highly recommend trying it out. It won't be something I give up boating for but it was a cool experience.

Wow Sean, sounds cool. :D Congrats. And I thought I lived dangerously !! I had a chance to go two years ago and turned it down. Maybe I shouldn't have. See you on the water. :D
Bob

floatingphil 06-26-2006 04:23 PM

Sean,
Whereabouts did you try it? I did a few times when I was about 14 but that was it.

Bob,
I saw your boat today in Port Credit, how did you get the best parking spot?

Bobthebuilder 06-26-2006 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sutphil
Sean,

I saw your boat today in Port Credit, how did you get the best parking spot?

They take good care of me at Credit Village Marina. I spend some time there each month thru the summer. We are off to Geo Bay in a couple of days and be back for OSS races in a couple weeks then Lake Ontario Poker Run. Say hello if you see us around the boat. :D
Bob

floatingphil 06-26-2006 08:12 PM

Bob,
I have a slip booked there the weekend of the OSS race so I'll say hello then - blue and white 26' Sutphen.
Phil

GLH 06-26-2006 09:30 PM

My insurance Co says NO!

Same for flying a plane...

Airpacker 06-27-2006 12:39 PM

Phil, the place is called High Perspective. Its right on HWY 7 just west of Brock road in Pickering.

OSS races, I'll prolly see ya around. Doing the patrol boat thing.