Etiquette at the Docks . . . . >

Etiquette at the Docks . . . .

Notices

Etiquette at the Docks . . . .

Old 07-05-2006, 02:53 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Etiquette at the Docks . . . .

Originally Posted by rouxsterre
OK . . .

You're driving your new 40SS Formula Cruiser.
You pull up with your party, to get a late-afternoon lunch. Everybody's hungry.
You're waiting for a spot. There's other boats waiting as well. Eventually, most of the boats leave, leaving you a 50' space. Except for an 8' Zodiac right in the middle. You wait 20 min more.

What do you do ?
That's actually two 21' spaces, your boat isn't going to fit
Old 07-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
I was tied up at a poker run on lake travis, and my boat was at the end of the tie up. The 2nd to the end guy was leaving, untied my boat and freakin drove off. My boat was left to float off. I look down from the restaurant, and thank god another boater jumped in the lake and swam over to grab my ropes. he got it back about the time it took me to run down there.
That's grounds to run after someone and put down an ass beating.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

90% of the time I don't touch other people's boats unless I have to. If you tie the boat up like an a$$hole and take up the whole dock then I'm going to move it.

It's like at the gas dock..dude pulls up and needs to be right in the center of the dock so no one else can pull in...NO RESPECT.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. Maybe this will help answer the question. How many people have taken it upon themselves to move someone elses vessel and had there ass reemed for doing so?
Old 07-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Registered

My motto has always been, if you don't own it, it's not yours to touch. Although at Kingsmill a few years ago another boater had, without approval of the dockmaster, taken our paid slip and was no where to be found after much searching (no keys either). (We needed the bigger space) Dockmaster's fault of course for letting the person dock the boat in our slip; however guys in our boat caravan and the dockmaster moved the boat forward to the outside of the docks to allow us entry into our slip. Not sure when he/her returned, but at 6:00 a.m. the next morning the person slipped out and skipped on paying for docking. Since the dockmaster initiated the move the person could take it up with Kingsmill shoud there have been additional problems as a result.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fund razor
you start changing my lines on my immaculate 1987 resin bucket and you are gonna meet a very concerned owner with a raised defcon level.

If your boat caught on fire, I would move my boat next to you.
What ya trying to say Fund
Old 07-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jcolby
Ok. Maybe this will help answer the question. How many people have taken it upon themselves to move someone elses vessel and had there ass reemed for doing so?
Gotta admit, I've done it before, and I've also had it done to me.
Maybe it's just me, but if I have the boat just tied up at a restaurant, I'm checking it every 10-15 Minutes in between drinks, before/after dinner. If I see someone moving my boat, I'll go down and help them move it, and help fast their boat. If I see someone milling, and I have room to move mine (i.e. someone else has left, and milling boat is larger than space available), I'll go down and move it.
I guess I always just thought that was a part of being a boater.
I also thought in a raft, walking across swimplatforms in boat friendly shoes (white soles, or Boat shoes) was acceptable, remove your shoes if no platform is available, and walk across sunpad.
Thought this was just part of the boating karma.
I'm not going to move and re-tie a boat that is obviously worth more than I will make in my lifetime without the owner being present, too much liability. I'm fairly confident in my line handling, but I ain't risking it.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Registered

It . . it's like we were . . . separated at birth or something . . .
Old 07-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rouxsterre
It . . it's like we were . . . separated at birth or something . . .
Yeah, and we both prefer coal grills

Maybe not all you left-coast guys are f-ed up.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

I personally would'nt squeeze into too tight a space. I would be looking for someone who could assist like the dock hands or boat owner. I for one(as well as others in my party) will watch each and every boat tie up till the space next to mine is filled and I find most boat owners do the same.. Then I can rest easier. I consider myself more than competent at tieing up a boat, but just dont know how the other guy would take the situation. I wouldn't want someone moving my boat without my O.K. Sure its been done to me though I'm not thrilled about it. I dont get nasty but I recheck every line and bumper. I'd most likely be there to lend a hand to accomidate someone anyway before it got to that point.

Quick Reply: Etiquette at the Docks . . . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.