Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mercedes MTI vs. Bad Skater!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/134366-mercedes-mti-vs-bad-skater.html)

offshoredrillin 07-11-2006 03:48 AM

Re: Mercedes MTI vs. Bad Skater!!!

Originally Posted by SLANDREW
When you say its all good does that mean bring on the MTI Mercedes that the guy didn"t want? :evilb:

just curious andrew, did you go to a special school to become this much of a tool, or does it just come naturally?

birdog 07-11-2006 05:25 AM

COLOR ME BAD Long Island Boat :cool:

Cincinnati Ohio for the last year....And ,yes it is.... :D

Shane 07-11-2006 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by birdog
Cincinnati Ohio for the last year....And ,yes it is.... :D

Started out on Long Island. Sold, new one, now just called BAD is on Long Island. All have been owned by Vinny Rifice.

JCPERF 07-11-2006 09:03 PM

Stick afork in the MTI and offshore dribbling :cool: Vinny is on the south shore now I'm taking sides :eek: :evilb: :eek:

Making friends as usual :rolleyes: :chimp: :D

T2x 07-12-2006 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Shane
I understand (per Joey) that Stuart sent the MTI back to the factory as he didn't like it. WHat he didn't like I have no idea.

I was in it too.....

To make it short ...the boat has some issues mostly around the fact that a Mercedes interior is not designed to take ANY abuse at all

That having been said....the workmanship was superb....but I question if any sea trials were done at all.

If we're voting MTI versus Skater.

Buy a Skater.

T2x

Spine Tingler 07-12-2006 07:57 AM

The boat just barely got rigged prior to the Miami show and the buyer specified and suppplied all of the Mercedes parts that he wanted integrated into the boat. Then after the show he sent the boat back to get Recovery taken of of the side. That's a tough call when the customer wants specific parts that have not been used before.

Of course I would buy an MTI, BUT Skater makes one hell of a boat!

44MTI 07-12-2006 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by T2x
I was in it too.....

To make it short ...the boat has some issues mostly around the fact that a Mercedes interior is not designed to take ANY abuse at all

That having been said....the workmanship was superb....but I question if any sea trials were done at all.

If we're voting MTI versus Skater.

Buy a Skater.

T2x

Actually the interior shouldn't be a problem. The seats are normal MTI but upholstered to look like Merc. The side panels are just that, upholstered panals hung on the fiberglass liner as are all MTI's. The dash is really just a Merc dash which is draped over a custom made aluminum substructure. This and the shifter were abviously major work.
It all depends on what you want I guess. I like the wrap around windshield and the protection that it give the whole cockpit. I also prefer the ride of the MTI. That being said, Skater would be a close second choice. Nice glass work and lots of history. There both GREAT boats.

T2x 07-12-2006 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 42MTI
The side panels are just that, upholstered panals hung on the fiberglass liner as are all MTI's. The dash is really just a Merc dash which is draped over a custom made aluminum substructure. This and the shifter were abviously major work.

The Mercedes parts seemed to be snapped in...not bolted...and the entire dash structure is moving...as are the trim panels on the sides...(one actually fell off and is missing entirely).

Like I said....insufficient sea trials.

T2x

Spine Tingler 07-12-2006 08:09 PM

I've been in Fountains, Cigs, Formulas, NorTechs, and Skaters that have all had parts come loose or flat fall out when driving in tough conditions or driven improperly. I think all of those companies due plenty of sea trials. I don't hink that a boat with so many more added effects will probably tend to have more minor issues. I would expect to have more problems with more alterations similar as to choosing big power over conservative power.

ActiveFun 07-12-2006 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Superman
I've been in Fountains, Cigs, Formulas, NorTechs, and Skaters that have all had parts come loose or flat fall out when driving in tough conditions or driven improperly. I think all of those companies due plenty of sea trials. I don't hink that a boat with so many more added effects will probably tend to have more minor issues. I would expect to have more problems with more alterations similar as to choosing big power over conservative power.

What are you talking about???? Are you nuts?? Who are you to make that assumption??