Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How much is an extra 100 hours worth??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/134631-how-much-extra-100-hours-worth.html)

SANLEONKID 07-07-2006 09:06 PM

How much is an extra 100 hours worth???

I'm looking at several late 90's single engine 28-29' boats(Scarab,Baja) with stock 502/496 Bravo I engine packages.

Question: With the cost of a new 496 Mag HO / Bravo I drive package costing more than $20k keeping general usage of the vessels constant (not torn up and well taken care of cosmetically), how much more should I , IF ANY, figure to pay for a boat with 100 hours vs one with 200 hours or even 300?

Keep in mind that compression, leak down and overall appearance are comparable.

I have seen 6 yo boats that look brand spanking new to ones that were left out in the weather under just a cloth cover or under trees or out on the sun that look like twice their age,

I have read through all the threads rearding engine/drive packages lasting 600+ hours w/o need of a rebuild if taken care of and wonder if the extra for a LOW hour boat is actually worth it?

Panther 07-08-2006 08:56 AM

Re: How much is an extra 100 hours worth???

Everything being equal I would go for the low hour boat.

There is also a combination of other factors like the age of the boat. If they were all the same year then low hour boat. If the new one had high hours I would go for the older one with low hours. That's just my opinion.

Difference in price... not sure, i would go to NADA

Semper Fi 07-08-2006 12:43 PM

I always wondered this question also. As expensive as marine engines are these days, you have to be careful. Let's say you buy a 3 yr old boat with 525's in it with 300hrs for actual retail value. You own it for 6 months-----then IF you have to rebuild motors (I know these motors usually last longer) that's like minimum $15K more you have to spend.

I would go for the clean, low hour boat. Look at the owners other stuff, house, car(s), etc.....this is a good indication if the owner actually took care of the boat or just cleaned her up to look pretty for the sale.

itilldo 07-08-2006 01:53 PM

Well on s similar subject line. What would you consider an average amount of hours to be on a boat for a season?

cuda 07-08-2006 04:45 PM

I'd go for the most well cared for boat I could find. I look first for a meticulous bilge, that's a great indication of how the boat was cared for. I'd try to buy only a boat I knew it's complete history (read ownership).

SANLEONKID 07-08-2006 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by cuda
I'd go for the most well cared for boat I could find. I look first for a meticulous bilge, that's a great indication of how the boat was cared for. I'd try to buy only a boat I knew it's complete history (read ownership).

I agree with this one the most. I'm always look for pics of the engine and bilge myself.

I just still am wondering how much 137 extra hours on a 502 are really worth. I know its not the $10k asking price but how much? $10k is $10k, especially for when gas is $3.13/gallon.

SANLEONKID 07-08-2006 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by itilldo
Well on s similar subject line. What would you consider an average amount of hours to be on a boat for a season?

I'm thinking about 60 - 80( hours per season woudl be "light" use on an inland lake. 5 hours of running a day, 12 to 16 trips a year.

itilldo 07-08-2006 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by SANLEONKID
I'm thinking about 60 - 80( hours per season woudl be "light" use on an inland lake. 5 hours of running a day, 12 to 16 trips a year.

well use those numbers when you throw them a price. Remember your the buyer and "you" think that the boat may or may not have high hours.