Notices

Dealer Tag Rights

Old 07-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Tag Rights

For about 40 years our dealership has purchased 10 Marine Dealer tags every year. We use them a lot and have never had a problem. Last week Dano took a boat to Orange Beach,Al,made a run to Destin,FL. FL MP stopped him,wrote a ticket for no registration,said you can't use a dealer tag for personal use. Never heard of this,cheaper to pay the ticket than fight it. But if the cop was right,must be thousands of car salesmen driving around illegally.Even Karen's Toyota has a dealer tag,we drive it everywhere. Anyone know the scoop on this?Seems a little weird.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:50 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dealer Tag Rights

Magic,

I don’t know anything about cars but the vessel numbering system 33 CFR 173 and 174 does not speak clearly to dealer registrations. The NASBLA model act clearly states dealer registration numbers are to used for demonstration purposes only and not for personal use. Therefore the argument would have to be made to show you were testing or demonstrating the watercraft. The NASBLA model acts are just that Model acts, not legislation. Each issuing state must develop and enact legislation to support the law maintaining consistency with the U S code/33 CFR. Reciprocity must also recognized by the jurisdiction attempting enforcement upon a craft registered elsewhere. I would direct you questions to the State Boating Law Administrator from Florida
Capt. Richard Moore
Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission
620 S Meridian St
Tallahassee, FL 323991600
www.myfwc.com

Cheers,
Brad
Old 07-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Registered

in many years work for dealers never had a problem but when ever stopped I never said I was using it for personal use always "sea trail" or "advertising/ publicity"
Old 07-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Registered

That's the Redneck Riviera" for ya--they make up thier own rules.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GoodT has it right.. Use of a dealer tag in FL for personal use is illegal, and carries a pretty steep fine.. They are supposed to be for demo's or to transport a vehicle to another location...
Old 07-08-2006, 02:05 PM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

Up here they don't mess with you if you are using d tags, I got a ticket once in my demo on the way to cumberland and they didnt say anything just asked who owned the vehicle and I gave them a business card. Ive even used one on my boat trailer before. Guess it just depends on where you live
Old 07-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Registered

The 2005 Florida Statutes

Title XXIV
VESSELS Chapter 328
VESSELS: TITLE CERTIFICATES; LIENS; REGISTRATION View Entire Chapter

328.52 Special manufacturers' and dealers' number.--

(1) The description of a vessel used for demonstration, sales promotional, or testing purposes by a manufacturer or dealer shall be omitted from the certificate of registration. In lieu of the description, the word "manufacturer" or "dealer," as appropriate, shall be plainly marked on the certificate.

(2) The manufacturer or dealer shall have the number awarded printed upon or attached to a removable sign or signs to be temporarily but firmly mounted upon or attached to the vessel being demonstrated, promoted, or tested so long as the display meets the requirements of this chapter.

(3) A dealer registration shall not be issued to a manufacturer or a dealer pursuant to this chapter unless he or she provides to the county tax collector a copy of his or her current sales tax certificate of registration, if such certificate is required, from the Department of Revenue and a copy of his or her current commercial or occupational business license if such license is required by the local governmental entity in which the manufacturer or dealer operates a vessel.

(4) A manufacturer or dealer shall not use or authorize the use of any vessel registered pursuant to this section for other than demonstration, sales promotional, or testing purposes. Such vessel shall not be used for any commercial or other use not specifically authorized by this section.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

We will be more prepared when we go to Florida again All Dano had to say was the lady with me is demoing this boat and he would have been fine,I guess. But that would have been a lie. However,the lie might have saved some money,go figure For the record I just asked my local AL MP guy about this.He grinned and said yes it's like that here too,but what is the point? He said he has never written a ticket to someone with a valid dealer tag. Guess it's a lot to do with the mood the officer is in,or where the boat is from? Did Dano break the law? Apparantly yes by the strictest interpretation.Did he deserve a fine of $171?Apparently the officer thought so,and Dano paid it.Maybe the officer thought he was just doing the job he was paid to do,but in the time his spent with this infraction,I have to wonder how many 4th of July BUI drivers cruised by? Sorry for the rant,but when you boat in AL for 40 years with the same dealer tag with no problem you don't expect to have a problem on a quick trip to FL. On the brighter side,since he was ordered off the water immediately, he maybe saved more than the ticket cost in gas
Old 07-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Registered

I know in Tennessee you can't use them for personal use but everyone does. I do know you can get in trouble if the truck you are using to tow with has dealer tags on it. you are not allowed to use a truck for work with dealer tags on it. Just one of thousands of laws that don't make sense. Probably alot of things you could say to get out of some of them though.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next time don't stop

Quick Reply: Dealer Tag Rights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.