Notices

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Old 11-21-2001, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nick, You got the go-ahead from your wife for a new boat and you still think there is a decision????? I've seen your boat. Its a classic and has alot of personality. I've also seen your posts about all of the problems. Why dont you call me at the office and we can talk trade in. With the inventory I have Im sure we can come to some arrangement. New boat 5 year warranty. Im sure if you added up what it costs to keep paying someone to fix your classic per month, its close to a new boat payment. 949-240-2266 Matt. By the way, Why didnt you show on saterday???
Old 11-21-2001, 01:20 PM
NICKSLICK

Can you say, distinctive?

Also, there kinda nice comming back from Catalina when the cold wind is blowin, and you just climbed out of the water...

At night.

Oh yea, I had 502 EFI in my old boat, and forgot to change it, it was a single too.

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: NICKSLICK ]

Old 11-21-2001, 01:34 PM
DEVIL MAN

Why do you post such difficult questions???

DMan

Old 11-21-2001, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nickslick,

I am a diver as well, I would go with the new boat especially since you have the wife's permission. Those scarab super sports look like a blast and would be easy to clean up after you boated your latest spearfishing catch.

I wish I had the diving you have! Ever been ice diving?

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Vern ]
Old 11-21-2001, 04:50 PM
Registered

Nick,
I wasn’t going to put my .02 in till I went to your page, and saw the boat. Are you kidding? That boat is great. Re-wire, Re-wire, Re-wire. Even if you pay the $1800. to have it done it will be worth it when you start making the payments on the New (used) boat. I had a Scarab Panther 1987, a lot like your “S” type, and I loved that boat. Don’t think New warranted motors are all they are cracked up to be. I have (2) 300X’s on a Skater, one blew with 60 hrs. on it, and the same one went with ½ hour on the engine. I know I have to spend $5,000. for the extended warranties if they are available. Can’t own these motors without one, and that is hoping they honor any claims after the Merc. Warranty is up. Re-wire, You can do a lot of repairs for the $600 a month or whatever the payment is going to be, plus your boat will never lose any more money, in fact on those boats it is a sellers market, there is not a lot of good ones left. The new “used” boat will lose thousands each year.
Philip
Old 11-21-2001, 10:01 PM
NICKSLICK

ice fishing...

Nah, I might want to have kids some day!

bhahahahah!

Old 11-21-2001, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Nickslick,

I like your ride, but the bottomline is

1) Your wife approved!!

2) Will you have to change your life style
to afford the "new boat"??

If you answered yes to question 1
and no to question 2.....then get it!!

If you answered yes to question 2, then re-wire and wait little. The boat looks great! and it's a classic!

My .02

Pantera24

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Pantera24 ]
Old 11-22-2001, 10:16 AM
DEVIL MAN

Slickster....it comes down to emotional attachment to your boat, which I know you have deep hidden feelings for ..you should...it is a classic!!! It is also a 78 and I don't know if your weekly woes will stop with a rewiring job???? With older boats, it is always something, hell, it is always something with newer boats!!!!

The other question is if you sell the SCARAB, then what...unless you get a new or used boat with new outboards, you will still have all the headaches...so, this question is tough to answer if you don't know exactly what you will be getting next. I owned a 30 foot SCARAB Sport with Evinrude 225's for three years and absolutely had a blast with it....I put 1600 hours on those engines and hull and beat the living crap out of it....just could not get enough of it, so that is a great choice....also, it comes down to finances...where is your limit and where is the wife's limit???? Tough questions...I wish you luck...I know your frustration....take care and have a great Thanksgiving!

DMan

Old 11-22-2001, 04:40 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts
nick if you do decide to wire it your self.solder all conections , sure it sounds like a pain but its well worth the effort.you'll spend far lass time doing the extra work but far less time chasing down problems later. and instead of labeling wires it may be easier to draw schmatics as you remove wiring, that way you get everything out of the way and can start with a clean slate, so to speak.good luck
Old 11-22-2001, 09:26 PM
Registered

I've never done this, but would you accomplish just about the same thing by going over and redoing all of the connections and replacing only the wires that truly look bad? It seems like most shorts and wiring problems are at the connections. This could save some money, but assumes that the wiring is correct now. Maybe you could contract out the really important ignition and battery stuff, and do the less important stuff yourself (lights, accessories, cabin wiring). And like has been said before, that $1800 put towards a new boat might make 3 (or 2) monthly payments. It is a great looking boat...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.