Notices

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Old 11-20-2001, 03:14 PM
NICKSLICK

Cool WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Ok guys, here is the deal. Im thinking about RIPPING OUT every electrical wire in my boat and replacing it. Im tired of shorts, grounds, non working guages, starter motors, etc.

Total cost is $1800 (professionaly installed and rigged) If I do this, the reliability of my boat should increase significantly. However the boat is a 78... but its a beautiful boat with a perfect hull... but it is old... ARGH!

or......

DONT DO IT, and buy a new boat next summer.

Some of you know my boat, others dont... please dont rag on me.

Old 11-20-2001, 03:15 PM
NICKSLICK

The new boat would prbbably be a Scarab sport with outboards, im thinking.

Much better for diving...
(primary use...)

your thoughts?

Old 11-20-2001, 03:19 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The money is well spent. None reliable boats are no fun at all.

A new Sport with twin OBs will set you back a lot more that $1800.
Old 11-20-2001, 03:21 PM
packinair

I did that last winter. replaced EVERYTHING. had a bare hull. seems to work pretty good, had a stern light wire come loose that was about it all summer, other than getting the damn painter (damn painters!) out to paint it the project went pretty good.. what do ya have to lose?

Old 11-20-2001, 03:26 PM
Registered

Nick, Don't do it before Friday if you do so you can run up to Long Beach with us.....

DL
Old 11-20-2001, 03:31 PM
PanteraInVentura

NS,

I just totally rewired my Pantera took off the stock set-up and redid the whole thing. I live in Ventura but my boats in Oxnard if you want look at it and get some ideas come on down and you can take pictures and take down notes. it's not to hard to do just time consuming and I've probably spent no more than 400 doolars.

Old 11-20-2001, 03:32 PM
rick32

Talking

Yeah Nick... get it done so you can come play with us again .....Friday is the day.

For you.... I'd definitly be talking to Stinson about getting into one of the twin OB center consul's ( 300's w/ clevers ) ... Get a used one ..Scarab makes one that hauls balls.... and I see them all the time in Newport........

See ya friday...
Rick32

Old 11-20-2001, 03:37 PM
Registered

If the Hull is good and the Engines and Drives are also I would do the repair and plan on keeping the boat for many years. What the hell, it is a classic design and a new boat is a fortune. You only need one wire, the ignition wire. The rest just distract you.
Old 11-20-2001, 03:37 PM
MikeStar

Well, Nick ol' pal, that's a big decision. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of the problems you've had were mechanical, which an electrical re-rigging wouldn't fix. Rewiring isnt' going to change the fact that those motors and drives are close to collecting social security...

OTOH, $1800.00 is a LOT cheaper than a new boat, which would also cost more to insure. And - believe me on this one - when you're shopping for that new ride, you'll be telling yourself "hey, $X payment isn't that much, yadda yadda yadda" - 6 months down the road you'll find all sorts of things you could be doing with that money

IF the hull is solid (as you say), and the mechanicals are squared away and reliable (no more drive or steering problems, water in the oil or other nastiness), and you realize that you're never going to get that money out of the boat come time to sell, go for it. You'll end up with boat that is either paid for or a substanstially lower payment than new, with some class and character that you really don't find these days (and this from a guy that owns a 1999 !). But I'd hate to see you drop almost $2K into it and then grenade a drive or tranny, or find the stringers are rotted out, or some other sign of old age 2 months later.

Side note - I know you've had trouble with finding good help before (when you have to have Stinson help and fly Audiofn out from the East Coast, you're talking bottom of the barrel j/k guys!!) - are you sure that this guy is the 'real deal' and that he can do the whole job for the quoted price? Hate to see him get the boat half apart and start the old "oh, it's gonna be a little bit more because the flux capacitor is bad - I didn't have that in the estimate." You know what I mean...

Good luck bud - she's a sweet old boat. Tough decision...

Old 11-20-2001, 03:43 PM
Mike J

NO Ragin, Iwas going to see about
picking up my tools this weekend,
And I can look at the job.
You wont get a lot of $$$$ for it the way it is anyway.
EMail me Mike J.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.