Leaving My Ride in the Water? >

Leaving My Ride in the Water?

Notices

Leaving My Ride in the Water?

Old 07-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaving My Ride in the Water?

Anyone know how long is to long to leave your boat in the water? I have been leaving it in the ICW (fresh water or brackish they say) for a week at time and pulling it each week to clean the bottom. Only did it last 2 weeks is this okay or could it hurt the bottom? Looking for a air lift if anyone knows where I can get one in Myrtle Beach SC, it can not bolt to the dock it has to tie to the dock as per marina's rules. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Leaving My Ride in the Water?

It depends on the water and the temperature.

I remember when I was a kid we left our boat in greenwood lake(NY/NJ) which was relatively cold freshwater for the entire season with no problems and very little, if any, discoloration or growth.

In other locations, the tannic acid in the water may leave an ugly brown slime very quickly, and in other areas algae may become a problem.

In warm saltwater like where I live, I don't even like leaving it in for the weekend due to barnacle growth.

Generally speaking, in cool freshwater extended periods shouldn't be a problem, in saltwater you need to be more careful.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Registered

I am with Nick, on/around Lake Erie people leave them in all season too. However... some eighties "non-bagged" hulls can develop blisters even in cooler fresh water from long term soaks.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Registered

Oh yeah... and depending on how many dissimilar metals you have, and people around you with different wiring problems, you can get electrolysis damage to the drives.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fund razor
Oh yeah... and depending on how many dissimilar metals you have, and people around you with different wiring problems, you can get electrolysis damage to the drives.
Lost a pair of outdrives to electrolysis in 2 weeks--total loss!!

Test the water with a meter and definitley get one of those zinc fish and atach to ground on engine(s).
Old 07-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Registered

Be careful with your painted graphics. After speaking with Mitch, we chose a graphic that stopped just above the water-line, your likely to get paint pimples if yours is below the water-line. Other than that, we lost our drive, transom assembly, and gimble after two short 5 month seasons in NY due to stray current. pulled our boat this year after a week, was getting 6 volts AC and 2.5 V DC stray current from the shore power ground to my drive. Previously I left the boat in for about 3 weeks at a time between pulling it and cleaning it without any problems besides the stray current..

To check for stray current, run a volt meter between the ground of the shore power to a bolt on one of your drives,, from what I have read it is supposed to be less then 1/2 volt to be safe.

Check to make sure your Merchathode is working correctly, you need a silver/silver-chloride electrode and a multi-meter, but the 100.00 is well worth the price of an out-drive. Readings should be between 750 and 1050 mA to be safe. A local marina went around checking t and half the boats merchathodes were shot.

be sure to check your anodes. Your water conditions requires aluminum anodes, not magnesium ( fresh ) or Zinc (pure salt ) ...

Last edited by Chris288; 07-10-2006 at 11:43 AM.