Notices

Merc 525 Oil Change

Old 07-12-2006, 06:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Re: Merc 525 Oil Change

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Dave is that 9/16 wrench size or pipe thread?
Wrench size, I'm not sure about the threads.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:02 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: Merc 525 Oil Change

The kit on the 496HO has a brass fitting at the end of it that extends out the bilge plug hole. I don't use the bilge plug lanyrards attach the bilge plugs to the ends of the oil drain tubes, as I like to leave my bilge plugs out all the time, especially when trailering, and if they were dangling there, they would flop all over the place, and the hoses would work their way out. The ends of my hoses are clipped up near my power steering reservoirs.
When its time to extend them out the bilge hole, I insert a straightened coat hanger from the outside-in, with a piece of wire attached to it. Hook the wire to the end of the hose, and pull it back out of the bilge hole.

The brass fitting on the 496HO uses a 5/8 inch wrench on the hose fitting. The plug that goes into it uses square tipped and fits a 3/8 inch wrench.

I normally heat my oil up if the boat has been sitting, or pull the plugs on Sunday night after a weekend of running, and just let the hoses stay in a 5 Gallon jug for a couple days. The majority of the oil drains out in less than 30 minutes. I use Mobil1 15w50. If you are using a straight weight oil, it will probably take longer. I would not be interested in any type of pump setup to suck the oil out faster. Since the drain plugs are at the rear and lowest point of the oil pan, I also make sure that I have the nose of the boat up high, so all the oil flows toward the drain plug/hose.

Works great for me.

Make sure you pop a hole into the top of our oil filters too, to let them drain into the pan, and not make a mess when removing them.