Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
$10,000 to run a BIG cat in the Fountain kilos... >

$10,000 to run a BIG cat in the Fountain kilos...

Notices

$10,000 to run a BIG cat in the Fountain kilos...

Old 07-11-2006, 06:26 AM
asg
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: $10,000 to run a BIG cat in the Fountain kilos...

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
So do you mean all boats are welcome
As long as they are Fountains...........
Old 07-11-2006, 06:59 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CASH BAR
Just got wind of a possible $10,000 entry fee....
Just write a check for $5,000 put a beak and a platform on it, It should pass as $10k over there.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I am a little off here but whats wrong with these rules???

Its a straight up race, must have finished 1st,2nd, or 3rd, in a previous race is that so BAD?? it keeps yahoo's or slow boats out of it, possibly making the race safer!! or at the least more competitive.

As for entry fee's considering what some poker runs cost now they seem pretty reasonable. What to you all think 3-7 helicopters will cost?? Fire Rescue?? Permits?? Insurance for a race event?? Cranes for boats?? Security in the pits?? Camera crews?? Cops to direct traffic??

This chit adds up

WILL
Old 07-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry, but maybe I'm missing something. All APBA/UIM records for 100+/- years have been held by..........uh...... raceboats.

How exactly does one prove that they own a "raceboat"? Well, they race it.

If one calls NASCAR and tells them that they would like to try to set the lap speed record at Daytona...................and promises to race the rest of the year after that - how would that be received?

A UIM Kilo record is as prestigious record as there is in my book - but I'm sorry, there has to be some form of qualification to "go for it".
Old 07-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom1
I'm sorry, but maybe I'm missing something. All APBA/UIM records for 100+/- years have been held by..........uh...... raceboats.

How exactly does one prove that they own a "raceboat"? Well, they race it.

If one calls NASCAR and tells them that they would like to try to set the lap speed record at Daytona...................and promises to race the rest of the year after that - how would that be received?

A UIM Kilo record is as prestigious record as there is in my book - but I'm sorry, there has to be some form of qualification to "go for it".
That's true but the problem is the rules seem to prohibit boats that don't run SBI/APBA. To me, that limits the possibilities to a smaller group and the claim of "worlds fastest" may not be entirely accurate.

Another issue is that with todays performace boating technology, the fastest boats may not necessarily be dedicated race boats. Pleasure boats do not have to be restricted to engine size, boat weight, etc. which is usually a requirement for boats that have to conform to a particular class in racing.

I do agree that all boats should have to meet safety and construction standards but they should not necessarily have to be "race boats" in order to go for a record.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 27Fountain
Maybe I am a little off here but whats wrong with these rules???

Its a straight up race, must have finished 1st,2nd, or 3rd, in a previous race is that so BAD?? it keeps yahoo's or slow boats out of it, possibly making the race safer!! or at the least more competitive.

As for entry fee's considering what some poker runs cost now they seem pretty reasonable. What to you all think 3-7 helicopters will cost?? Fire Rescue?? Permits?? Insurance for a race event?? Cranes for boats?? Security in the pits?? Camera crews?? Cops to direct traffic??

This chit adds up

WILL
Its not a race - its a two pass timed run. You run against yourself and the clock - no one else.

Besides, when is the last time you saw a $10,000 entry fee on a poker run.

If Reggie or whoever wants to claim the "worlds fastest boat" this is obviously not the venue in which to do so. Its understandable that an SBI/ABPA sanctioned event would only allow SBI/APBA boats to participate - however, that needs to be considered when talking about "bragging rights" come Monday after the race
Old 07-11-2006, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dirtlawyer, Sorry I misunderstood, however than doesn't change most of the expenses. Also, I don't think 10k will deter OL, Cig, Mti, Skater, or anyone else who builds, sells, or buys, a 500k-1mil boat.

I think a bigger question is WHY AREN'T OTHER MFG's helping to promote this sport. I do get tired of hearing the Fountain bashing when no other mfg is doing crap. opps I mean very little. How many of them sell 500K boats?? but when it come to promoting our sport they run and keep the money.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KInda sounds like the old "World Series of Baseball" doesn't it. Well, at least its the fastest in "Someone's" world.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pattyatch
So do you mean all boats are welcome?
Yes, all boats are welcome. Did you see the coverage in EBM last month. Jeff from Freeze Frame set a record in his little outboard powered tunnel boat. - Now that's not a race boat at all.

Originally Posted by asg
As long as they are Fountains...........
I guess you like to make things up as you go. Actually I don't believe even one Fountain attend the AMF Kilo over the last two years.

The only difference between the AMF Kilo and the SBI Kilo is SBI's affiliation with UIM. If you set a record with SBI, you get your name on the UIM web site.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 27Fountain
Dirtlawyer, Sorry I misunderstood, however than doesn't change most of the expenses. Also, I don't think 10k will deter OL, Cig, Mti, Skater, or anyone else who builds, sells, or buys, a 500k-1mil boat.

I think a bigger question is WHY AREN'T OTHER MFG's helping to promote this sport. I do get tired of hearing the Fountain bashing when no other mfg is doing crap. opps I mean very little. How many of them sell 500K boats?? but when it come to promoting our sport they run and keep the money.
I agree that Fountain does put a lot of money into racing and supporting racing; however, MTI and Skater are right there as well. As for why the sport has become dysfunctional, I don't even think we want to start that discussion - too many opinions as to what happened and what should have happened. A thread on that topic will make the "Cat Killer" thread look civilized!

Quick Reply: $10,000 to run a BIG cat in the Fountain kilos...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.