Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   $10,000 to run a BIG cat in the Fountain kilos... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/134855-%2410-000-run-big-cat-fountain-kilos.html)

Scott B 07-12-2006 06:11 AM

Re: $10,000 to run a BIG cat in the Fountain kilos...

Actually, no you can't..

Just ask OL...

the duke 07-12-2006 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Scott B
Nothing different here.. He banned em from racing cause he was skeered they would kick his ass.. Pure and simple....

We just jumped to a different subject. We all know that there is no "love" between OL and Fountain. But in your above post, you are talking about a RACE. I thought this thread was about the KILO run?

the duke 07-12-2006 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Shane
What does having finished 1, 2, or 3 have to do with a "team" (race or pleasure) being capable of running safely, fairly and respectfully in a kilo event? Anyone can show up at a race and enter so long as they have paid the boat registration fee, the driver, throttleman, or riding crew member fee, and entry fees and pass "tech" inspection. So you can go out and race a bayliner so long as you meet spec and pay the fees but can't do so in a kilo run?

By the way, I have known Bubba for more than 10 years, his rules are written on loose leaf paper. :rolleyes:

I have no idea what running 1-2-3 has to do with someone running the Kilo. I didn't write the SBI rules. I wasn't questioning you on that, I was just pointing out that this isn't a Fountain sanctioned kilo. Its an SBI/APBA Kilo. Yes, I'm aware that Fountain puts a lot of money into SBI, and yes I know that ALL offshore racing rules change like the wind.

Shane 07-12-2006 10:54 AM

What does having finished 1, 2, or 3 have to do with a "team" (race or pleasure) being capable of running safely, fairly and respectfully in a kilo event? Anyone can show up at a race and enter so long as they have paid the boat registration fee, the driver, throttleman, or riding crew member fee, and entry fees and pass "tech" inspection. So you can go out and race a bayliner so long as you meet spec and pay the fees but can't do so in a kilo run?

By the way, I have known Bubba for more than 10 years, his rules are written on loose leaf paper. :rolleyes:

I forgot, you also have to pass a DOT physical.

the duke 07-12-2006 10:56 AM

Can someone tell me if SBI Kilo Run rules have changed since 2004? Because in 2004, OL was there with a boat that had NEVER raced, and they were going to allow it to run if he paid the $10K. In fact, they waited till Sunday morning to allow him in if he had showed up with the $10K.

If the rules have NOT changed, then any of the other boats that want to run should be allowed to run if they register and pay their $10K. The Skater (cig logo) boat sure hasn't raced, so she can't run, neither can any OL. But these rules were bent before, so will they be bent again?????

Shane 07-12-2006 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by the duke
I have no idea what running 1-2-3 has to do with someone running the Kilo. I didn't write the SBI rules. I wasn't questioning you on that, I was just pointing out that this isn't a Fountain sanctioned kilo. Its an SBI/APBA Kilo. Yes, I'm aware that Fountain puts a lot of money into SBI, and yes I know that ALL offshore racing rules change like the wind.

Allow me to explain in relatively simple terms. You go out and sand bag (see bringing a full blown race boat to run against unexpecting pleasure boaters) a charity event to manipulate and exploit those who are there for charity and fun, and use that ploy to your marketing advantage. Because you are keenly aware of the stir you will have created, you have already laid out part 2 with your long time friend and ally Bubba. You and Bubba get together in Key West cuz Bubba ain't leavin' unless there is a race to go to and hash out the details. Bubba and you both know that you both have to be at the top all the time. Together you devise a plan to eliminate all legitimate possible takers, but you also attempt to make it "appear" as if it is open to all. Just some "minor" stipulations in the interest of "safety" of course. You look back and see who/what boat finished in the top three over the specified time frame that would have a legitimate shot at ruining your fun and set the parameters such that just by chance they would not be "eligible" to attend. I.e. lock 'em out!

Now if that isn't stacking the deck or sand bagging I don't know what is. Again, so long as the boat and riding crew meet the same safety standards that all are required to meet, there is no logical reason to bar anyone from participating. If Reggie is concerned as to capturing the fastest in each "racing class" then race spec motors need to be run. I.e. those that meet the specifications of the sanctioning organization. If this is to see who is the fastest overall, a true "run what you brung event" like was Jax, all participants are then FULLY aware of the intended purpose of the event and are equally prepared to compete. Again, so long as all safety requirements are met it should not be an issue. Unless of course you want to ensure your victory against no one.

I take nothing away from Reggie and all of his accomplishments over his many decades in all fascets of racing, however, the events of late are signs of desperation in my humble opinion.

blume 07-12-2006 11:31 AM

Desperation of WHAT.......is he losing market share??? is he about to lose his speed record????

the duke 07-12-2006 11:33 AM

Together you devise a plan to eliminate all legitimate possible takers, but you also attempt to make it "appear" as if it is open to all. Just some "minor" stipulations in the interest of "safety" of course. You look back and see who/what boat finished in the top three over the specified time frame that would have a legitimate shot at ruining your fun and set the parameters such that just by chance they would not be "eligible" to attend. I.e. lock 'em out!

All very interesting, BUT what were the Kilo rules in 2004? Or, IOW why was OL going to be allowed to run?

I take nothing away from Reggie and all of his accomplishments over his many decades in all fascets of racing, however, the events of late are signs of desperation in my humble opinion.
Desperate about what? He's selling more boats than ever. Probably only Baja sells more performance boats than he does, and teh Company has been actually making money for a good while since Brunswick got involved. I don't really believe that Ciig/OL are Reggie's competition. Actually, he almost in his own catagory of boat building. The only other companies that build boats in the quantity and models that he does are Formula and Baja, and Formula builds a ton more cruisers than offshore, and has no CC boat.

blume 07-12-2006 11:33 AM

http://www.superboat.com/#clicker............call John @ 305-296-6166....about running the Kilo if anybody wants to run and hear it from the man that makes the call.

Shane 07-12-2006 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by the duke
All very interesting, BUT what were the Kilo rules in 2004? Or, IOW why was OL going to be allowed to run?

Desperate about what? He's selling more boats than ever. Probably only Baja sells more performance boats than he does, and teh Company has been actually making money for a good while since Brunswick got involved. I don't really believe that Ciig/OL are Reggie's competition. Actually, he almost in his own catagory of boat building. The only other companies that build boats in the quantity and models that he does are Formula and Baja, and Formula builds a ton more cruisers than offshore, and has no CC boat.

First of all, don't EVER EVER EVER quote me twice in a single post. Doing so only makes me feel dumber than I already am because I have NO IDEA how to do it myself! :eek: :drink:

Selling more boats and making more money on paper does not always reflect the health of a company. Just ask those who used to work for ENRON. I am in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM insinuating any such activity at FOUNTAIN so no one take it as such. Simply illustrating a point. Desperation does not necessarily mean that someone is be fallen with tough financial times. In this game of ultra high performance, it is as much about EGO and BRAGGING rights as stated in my first post in this thread. When one makes statements publically about being the fastest anything, they best be able to back it up because you can bet your big fat butt :drink: :p :D that someone somewhere with an equally fat wallet, or at least a line of credit equivalent to your check book, is ready willing and able to spend the funds to prove you wrong. This is and has been the essence of the speed freak since the invention of speed. The desire to be the fastest is human nature. However, as I have stated several times before and will try to explain again, if you show up at a charity POKER RUN with a full blown race boat, sand bag it and run faster than a well known very fast cat, and then run your mouth the way Reggie and his cronies did about smokin' Speed Racer etc. etc. etc., well you best be willing to level the playing field and allow him to run when he is fully aware of what he is doing. As far as we all know Speed Racer goes to Jax to enjoy a fun filled day on the water in a high performance boat. Reggie shows up with a full blown race machine and goes faster. Films it and then talks smack about being faster than a cat. Well, how about allowing Speed Racer (or any other cat) to attend the Kilo runs on the Pamlico when he is fully aware of the intentions of all in attendance and see who is faster. Pretty simple and straight forward. Unfortunately, some would rather add all this drama and banter and do all they can to ensure their victory by virtually elliminating any legitimate cat that has a shot at running faster. I cannot seem what is so hard for people to understand that. I understand the issue of safety. Believe me, no one is more safety conscious than I am. So like I said, so long as all safety requirements are met let 'em run.

P.S. Don't let anyone fool you. If someone has the funds to own a boat like these, and I mean truly has the money to own one, the $10,000 entry fee is likely to not even be a second thought.