Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   So what do YOU do...? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/134959-so-what-do-you-do.html)

Stormrider 07-12-2006 01:39 PM

Re: So what do YOU do...?

Maybe we should all be using turbines...

Stormrider 07-12-2006 01:40 PM

or how about running big old diesel boats w/ smelly exhuasts that'll make any sailor seasick.

fund razor 07-12-2006 02:20 PM

It is clear from this thread that we are innocent victims of discrimination by jealous people with nothing to do who hate us because we are better than them.

Our increasingly bad reputation is totally undeserved because all performance boaters always show such consideration and restraint wherever they go.

The haters clap not because the peace and quiet that they had been enjoying was restored but because of their overwhelming jealousy of our fantastic lives which are much better than their pathetic lives.

Because our boats are faster they should not only yield to us on the water, but they should also subjigate all other rights to peace and pursuit of hapiness to us upon demand any time that we happen upon their miserable, unhappy lives that are unfulfilled because they are not worthy of a performance boat.

We should demand that these miserable cretins cease the expression of their opinion in our presence. When we arrive at a marina, all other must kneel before us and wait obediently for us to tie up before they offer compliments on how nice our boats are and their women swoon.

When they hear the unmuffled sound of non-stock hp engines coming they should prepare a feast in our honor to recognize our mechanical superiority.

Only then will we consider that they are fellow humans (not to mention boaters) worthy of common courtesy.

CBR 07-12-2006 02:34 PM

Fund, sounds about right to me. :D

fund razor 07-12-2006 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by CBR
Fund, sounds about right to me. :D

I am gonna print that out as a hand out and when people clap you can just smile and give them a copy. :D :D

I suppose I should laminate them.

fund razor 07-12-2006 02:41 PM

Or better yet.... print it on gold medallions that can be worn with a nice gold chain. :D

GLH 07-12-2006 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by fund razor
It is clear from this thread that we are innocent victims of discrimination by jealous people with nothing to do who hate us because we are better than them.

Our increasingly bad reputation is totally undeserved because all performance boaters always show such consideration and restraint wherever they go.

The haters clap not because the peace and quiet that they had been enjoying was restored but because of their overwhelming jealousy of our fantastic lives which are much better than their pathetic lives.

Because our boats are faster they should not only yield to us on the water, but they should also subjigate all other rights to peace and pursuit of hapiness to us upon demand any time that we happen upon their miserable, unhappy lives that are unfulfilled because they are not worthy of a performance boat.

We should demand that these miserable cretins cease the expression of their opinion in our presence. When we arrive at a marina, all other must kneel before us and wait obediently for us to tie up before they offer compliments on how nice our boats are and their women swoon.

When they hear the unmuffled sound of non-stock hp engines coming they should prepare a feast in our honor to recognize our mechanical superiority.

Only then will we consider that they are fellow humans (not to mention boaters) worthy of common courtesy.

One convert and a few saleboters to go....

Fund finally understanding the cross we have to bear by insuring thousands of job in the US to keep our mills going as oppose to the clang clang hemp rag factories in Iran...

Way to go Fund!

"How much for the little girls???" :D

Sean 07-12-2006 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by fund razor
Agreed.
I would rather see people be considerate of others than the government try to legislate what should be common sense.

We are always considerate...no prolonged idle, never rev the engines.

But...there are some among us that will ruin for the rest of us. I go to the Star Island Yacht club every year and stay overnight...and get a christmas card from them every year. Well one year, my brother-in-law was making our usual reservations when the dockmaster asked him the make and lenght of both boats, upon hearing one was a Cigarette, he was told us "Cigarette" boats were no longer welcomed at Star Island...because some idiot in a "Cigarette" boat was revving his engines at the dock two weeks prior... Well, we ended staying ther anyway after we reminded the guy that we come there every year...and he remembered us.

Once there was a couple old salts in a coast guard aux boat behind tied me at this quiet little dock on Shelter Island...before I fired up the engines, I walked back and explained that I would be firing them up and they would be loud...they thanked for the heads up...

I think I'm overly considerate...moreso than the JACKASS "fishermen" that anchor up in the middle of the VERY narrow channels of Shinnecock and Tiana Bays on LIs south shore.

CBR 07-12-2006 03:38 PM

"Or better yet.... print it on gold medallions that can be worn with a nice gold chain."

I think Reggie has already done that, but I do like the laminated card idea.

I am also considerate, with similar warnings and avoid firing up early in anchorages, even though I'd prefer to get going earlier.

I even have some sailbote friends. :D

When staying at the Montauk yacht club I was annoyed by incredibly loud generators running on a streamlined 60 foot boat for over three hours. Turned out it was a SUBMARINE charging it's battery banks! www.ussubmarines.com

Did not figure that out until months later and someone showed me that website. Then I recognized the boat, it was a Nomad 1000. It was likely preparing to dive down and look at the U-boat wreck near Block Island. Very neat, hence noisy boats are always cool. :drink:

JAdamz 07-12-2006 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sean
A group of us went to Claudios on Wes' 41 Apache two weekends ago and after a masterful job of docking the boat and turning the engines off, several people on the dock started clapping...

I'm surprised you'd get that type of reaction at Claudio's...seems like every time I go there, there's always at least two performance boats docked up. They must have been first-timers there and didn't realize how popular of a hangout Claudio's is for these type of boats! :)