Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   So what do YOU do...? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/134959-so-what-do-you-do.html)

Airpacker 07-12-2006 08:21 AM

Re: So what do YOU do...?

Originally Posted by hugetime1
Just do this, and see how they clap

My bet is if YOU did that, they'd run away screaming :evilb:

Airpacker 07-12-2006 08:23 AM

The clappers are just whiners. I treat them like I treat any whiny kid. Ignore them or at most, hit em with the old Elvis "Ah thank you, thank you very much" and then ignore them.

FormulaFan 07-12-2006 08:24 AM

This happened to me on Lake Travis when I parked at Shades 2 weeks ago. There was only one spot that my boat would fit, the dock hand was waving me in to park there, and the back of my boat was facing the crowd! Well, I have twin 575's with no mufflers so it was LOUD. I turned the motors off as quickly as I could, and then the clapping started........
With all sorts of thoughts running through my mind I quickly decided that my crew and I should just ignore it, and walk proudly to our table! When we were ready to leave I did see some small children at the tables that were going to get some serious noise when I started the boat, so I went over to a couple of tables and gave them a warning to cover the kids ears when the motores started (and apologized for the lack of mufflers!). The response was great from both tables! They thanked me for taking the time to warn them and they both were waving to us as we left! So, we turned a negative in to a positive!

fund razor 07-12-2006 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Airpacker
The clappers are just whiners. I treat them like I treat any whiny kid. Ignore them or at most, hit em with the old Elvis "Ah thank you, thank you very much" and then ignore them.

All clappers are whiners, all offshore boaters are rude, and all exaggerated generalizations are hyperboles.

WesSmith 07-12-2006 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sean
we actually had a guy ask if the boat had a jet drive too!... Like an idiot, I actually asked him what he was referring/pointing too and it seems he thought the exhaust was a jet drive...

some things you just cant make up... :)

That was a classic wasn't it ? :rolleyes:

Part of the problem was the fact we removed the mufflers, but it did sound better didn't it ? :evilb:

Underdog88 07-12-2006 08:36 AM

At my favorite bar, people clap and woo hoo all the time in approval. They love the go fast boats and the sound. This place has alot of bikers and live music.

It's very common when we fire up to leave to get, "YES!" and cheers. :drink:

Are you sure they didn't LIKE your boat? If not maybe you need to spend your money at a less "upity" place...

Lucididee 07-12-2006 08:42 AM

Here's another thought ........... You guys ever sleep on the boat at a marina where there are a few sailboats and a just a slight wind? The friggin' clanging all night on the mast is enough to drive a person crazy. I just except it as a way of life at on the water. Maybe next time I should do and/or say something to the owner about it. :rolleyes: And rev the motors a few extra times when I leave the dock. :eek:

I've come the the conclusion, people just enjoy complaining too much when it's something they dislike.

Panther 07-12-2006 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lucididee
Here's another thought ........... You guys ever sleep on the boat at a marina where there are a few sailboats and a just a slight wind? The friggin' clanging all night on the mast is enough to drive a person crazy. I just except it as a way of life at on the water. Maybe next time I should do and/or say something to the owner about it. :rolleyes: And rev the motors a few extra times when I leave the dock. :eek:

I've come the the conclusion, people just enjoy complaining too much when it's something they dislike.

I f'ing hate that clanging of the sailboat mast!!!!! That has to be a noise violation. :eek: I'm sure there is a way to stop that from happening... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last year I had open dry pipes, with the exception of an 1/8" weep hole in tailpipe.... I got a lot of complaints at the docks and I myself was a little annoyed when i had a few people on the boat... Put the switchable mufflers on over the winter and everyone is much happier.

If my pipes weren't dry I wouldn't have put mufflers on. I think it's all within reason. :rolleyes:

CigDaze 07-12-2006 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lucididee

Good point. It's enough to drive a person nuts!
And that's a sound that goes on all day long....

The only time I ever had a problem with anyone complaining was when some old lady behind us sht herself when I fired up. (and I'm not kidding - she got off her boat and waddled to the bathroom). I kind of felt bad for a few minutes, but then I had to laugh. Her husband made it a point to ask us for a warning next time, but he was polite about it. :D :D

Sydwayz 07-12-2006 09:02 AM

Nick, I know the feeling.
You can usually tell the folks at the marina/ramp who don't know what its going to sound like when you fire up. I try to warn those who are within earshot. Several seasons ago, I fired up my single 500EFI, and a woman way up in the parking lot got spooked so bad she tipped the stoller over backwards that she was pushing. No damage and no injuries, and she was not even upset, but I did feel bad for a couple seconds. :D