Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How safe is The Bahamas? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/135027-how-safe-bahamas.html)

cig1988 07-13-2006 06:11 AM

Re: How safe is The Bahamas?

Originally Posted by birdog
Dayum !.....Did Cigarette offer the mount as an option ?... :D :D

FeverMike....The best place to start is to take a class...local gun range, NRA...

ABSOLUTELY ! I have proof of "the mount". Brain know's what I'm talking about.

Sean 07-13-2006 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by cig1988
ABSOLUTELY ! I have proof of "the mount". Brain know's what I'm talking about.

ive got "proof" too! :D

cig1988 07-13-2006 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sean
ive got "proof" too! :D

Shall we share ?

vagrant 07-13-2006 07:21 AM

My wife and I go Diving in the Bahamas aboard a boat called Bottom Time 2 out of Fort Lauderdale. The boat sleeps 26 people it has 13 cabins. You guys have got me thinking. We are at sea for 5 of the 7 days staying in Bimini for two. I know they have a watch at night and a radar alarm system if any boats get with in a mile radius of us. But we are the only boat out there at night. We have never had any problems with anyone. You guys have got me rethinking is this a safe thing to continue to do. As for Bimini the most Dangerous thing I have seen is making sure you are in the Channel going in . We have been all over that Island day and night . We have actually been in some of the residents home they convert into bars at night. I have never felt threatened . I am now wondering have I just been Lucky?

CigDaze 07-13-2006 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Steve, seriously we've never ever met in person so I do not know why you'd make that statment towards me!
Mike :mad: :rolleyes:

Only because you own the "Time-Out" Record. :D :p ;)

THEJOKER 07-13-2006 08:14 AM

Stan:

No I didn't share our stuff w/ Sea. I haven't forgot to get you some prints back. Just need to prioritize I guess. You the man! Great info here. MIKE GET A GUN!

Pantera1 07-13-2006 08:44 AM

Never been to bimmini or the Bahamas .. But cant wait a few more years and im pulling the plug on winter in the NE and heading to S Fla. Man that water looks beatiful.
As far as AR-15's and salt water , you better keep em well oiled as they are mostly steel. The Ruger Mini 30 is all stainless. I also think the 7.62 has more punch than a .223.

FeverMike 07-13-2006 08:56 AM

This thread could not have had better timing. My wife really wants to go to the Bahama's. A month ago I was doing some on line research and was thinking that wither Garnd Harbor or Eleuthra would be a nice beautiful quiet getaway as a suprise for her birthday in November. What do you all think?
OSO Steve, it's all good I wasn't taking it the way you were thinking I was taking it...just going back and for with ya :mad: :D

Dock Holiday 07-13-2006 09:52 AM

This has been a very informative thread. I appreciate all the information, advise and suggestions from those in the know.

I'm definitely going to plan this trip next year, and the BiminiSands looks like the place to be for sure.

A few questions for you guys please.

What is the correct procedure for leaving the US, entering the Bahamas and returning to the US is regards to Customs?

What is the best time (Month) of the year to plan a trip over? Mainly thinking about sea conditions.

Thanks again

Doc

OSO 07-13-2006 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
This has been a very informative thread. I appreciate all the information, advise and suggestions from those in the know.

I'm definitely going to plan this trip next year, and the BiminiSands looks like the place to be for sure.

A few questions for you guys please.

What is the correct procedure for leaving the US, entering the Bahamas and returning to the US is regards to Customs?

What is the best time (Month) of the year to plan a trip over? Mainly thinking about sea conditions.

Thanks again

Doc

Summer for sure is the calmest but the Sands is the busiest so plan ahead. You leave Lauderdale and go straight to the Sands. When you go in the Sands they have Customs right there, a restaurant, check-in, a pool, a small store with the basics, fuel, dockage. You will dock the boat in the marina right there and never move it unless you use it to go out fishing or diving. The guy that runs the Sands is American and is real nice. He has internet and posts the weather forcast every day for watching the times to cross.

Remember to tell a friend when you are leaving the states and call from the pay phone at the Sands when you get there. Make sure your friend has your boat make, name, and registration information. Depending on the speed of your boat if it takes you more than twice the time to get there, have them call the Coast Guard.

Always leave very early in the morning, that is when it is the calmest. Don't try the "I can make it in an hour cause my boats fast" and leave at 4 pm. Leave plenty of time in case something goes wrong. Remember because of the pitch black Rescue Helicopters can not make the crossing to look for you when its dark. Travel with a friend. There is always a lot of boat traffic crossing to Bimini so if you need help you got a pretty good chance. If you lose all power the Gulfstream will take you North so remember that.

When you retrun to the states you have to call and report in and Customs will decide if they want to come search the vessel.

Remember you can go to Bimini and return to the States without going through Customs as long as you don't touch land.

If you get boarded by the Coast Guard coming back in to the US simply tell them they are more than welcome to search the boat. It works every time for me. Remember it is not legal to bring lobsters and other seafood back if they are out of season. Many Bahamians poach them and sell them cheap and you don't realize they are not in season.

If you want to make some quick cash the going rate is 10K for arrival on US soil but it is not recommended. ;)

Enjoy!!