Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Wrong spot at the wrong time (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/135409-wrong-spot-wrong-time.html)

jayboat 07-18-2006 02:39 PM

Re: Wrong spot at the wrong time

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one from the Sarasota poker run back in April. The pontoon was coming by the lunch stop just as everyone was firing up to head out. What you don't see in the photo- there are at least 8 more heavy hitters within a few hundred feet of them. I can only imagine what they were thinkin! :eek:

k24u 07-18-2006 04:12 PM

I was involved in a poker run on sat most people stayed out of the way and gave us thumbs up and pumped their fists but a few goofs decided to hang out right in the middle of the channel and i saw the bird fly when i went roaring by. So I have had the bird fly more once this year i guess the noise must scare them.

CigDaze 07-18-2006 04:30 PM

Though I'm sure he didn't like being there at that particular juncture in time, I doubt he read the Notice to Seamen in the morning before heading out (which I'm sure was published by the organizers) so it can only be his own fault for getting caught in such a precarious position. I know I check them every morning as well as all local newspapers to make sure there isn't going to be a sailing regatta on a given day.

;) :D

CAP071 07-18-2006 04:42 PM

Unless the waterway is closed by the Coast Guard for the event they have every right to be there and follow all the rules, regulations, and laws of the water like everyone else. Although there is no excuse for stupidity, I see plenty of that. ( esp. in Barnegat Bay ) :D

Joe 07-19-2006 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lucididee
You post it everywhere! :eek: :drink: Have you posted about Barnegat yet? :rolleyes:

You should share your thoughts with the sailboat races clubs. I run across them ALL the time racing near (or thru) a major transit area. I'm sure they LOVVVVVE us buzzing thru there (even though we do slow down).

Lucididee 07-19-2006 01:50 PM

Sharkey posts it everywhere for the runs! And they still complain. Even though it's just being courteous, they still take offense to it! Never fails :rolleyes:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 07-19-2006 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Joe
You should share your thoughts with the sailboat races clubs. I run across them ALL the time racing near (or thru) a major transit area. I'm sure they LOVVVVVE us buzzing thru there (even though we do slow down).

Joe,

We do have full contact with the Sailing Associations. They do know we are coming through in the morning. We all do our very best to try to get along. Some you will never be ever to please.
Also, there are times a powerboat may fly by the sailors that doesn't belong to our group. But obviously we get accused.

Game On 07-19-2006 08:49 PM

It really doesnt matter what you do, someone will find a reason to be pi$$ed off at you, especially the sailboat crowd, most of them seem to hate powerboaters... :argue: