Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   If you ran a boating mag, what would YOU put in it?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/135494-if-you-ran-boating-mag-what-would-you-put.html)

Ron P 07-19-2006 02:39 PM

Re: If you ran a boating mag, what would YOU put in it??

Because of this thread, and some contacts I've made, starting in September will have a monthly column/article called - Back in the days - or something like that. We'll feature stores of races from years past and do interviews with old school racers.

I'm looking forward to this, I hope you are too.
Ron

bouyhunter 07-19-2006 03:19 PM

Cool RonP! I look forward to seeing the interviews

f311fr1 07-19-2006 03:59 PM

All the ideas are spot on. The do it your self articles in PBM do not go in depth nearly enough. Check Turner on Tech in PRA. His stuff is in depth enough to ask your engine guy the right questions. If I were to let a mag go it would be HB. It is strictly Left Coast. PBM does not do enough Mid West or East Coast stuff because they are in CA. They need a more balanced format. In depth articles about rigging ? would be appreciated. Joe Murray

bouyhunter 07-19-2006 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by f311fr1
All the ideas are spot on. The do it your self articles in PBM do not go in depth nearly enough. Check Turner on Tech in PRA. His stuff is in depth enough to ask your engine guy the right questions. If I were to let a mag go it would be HB. It is strictly Left Coast. PBM does not do enough Mid West or East Coast stuff because they are in CA. They need a more balanced format. In depth articles about rigging ? would be appreciated. Joe Murray

exactly right Joe.
The tech stuff needs to be much more in-depth. HB seemed to do a better job with tech, but I don't need to know about jet drive rebuilds - not my kind of boating.
I'm more than just a competent carpenter, I spent many years finishing high end homes - but glass is alot different than wood.
What type of blades/bits/tools do I need to work with glass? What do I need to mask before cutting (because of chipping)?
Even if I'm just installing a stereo, or additional gauges - this info would be more helpful to me.
Rigging would be something good to learn about. Admitedly, I don't know good rigging from bad. To me, good rigging is all sealed connections, and wires/cables supported/mounted every few inches - but, is there more to it??
I'd love to learn these things.

TUFFboat 07-19-2006 07:17 PM

Gentlemen, its just business...
If you build a fiberglass 2x4 with a beak on it and then pay the magazine untold thousands for an advertising contract, you will automatically get great reviews. A long, long time ago when old Bob called it like he saw it, the magazine made no money, Bob could aford that. After Bob they sold out there standards and then proceeded to make money.

If we want the straight goods we will have to pay more for the magazine.

Smarty 07-19-2006 08:32 PM

I would like to see apples to apples comparisons of the the manufacturer's similar size offerring with identical power, such as one month could be a 35' Fountain with 525's as compared to boats of other manufacturers - comparable length with the same power. Line-em up, test them, and give the reader/subscriber the real-deal data from the test conducted on identical water conditions, temperature, ect. Lastly, have a drag race of about two or three miles long from a 45 mph +/- start and see who wins, and by how many boat lengths; that would interest me.

offshoredrillin 07-19-2006 08:55 PM

take a look at what Easyriders magazine has done for bikes and follow that recipe for boats... boating stuff and laughing, enjoying it and articles with humor and knowledge...doesnt have to have naked chicks, some nice pics wouldnt hurt, most girlies arent looking at the tech section anyhow, the few that do can appreciate the sites as well...

CAP071 07-19-2006 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by UNSANE
Really big Boobies bouncing up and down during a rough water ride!!! :evilb: :evilb:

EXACTLY :evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

thisistank 07-20-2006 09:17 PM

Still great ideas coming in. Here's some issues that I think should be shared though.

1. In the last 10 years, Powerboat tested far fewer runabouts, ski boats and production deck boats than it did in the 10 years prior. The numbers are inarguable. I can see a day when the magazine won't test any of those. It's all based on reader demand and you have to remember coast to coast opinions vary.

2. Contrary to the "good old days" court of opinion, the overwhelming majority of boat tests done under Bob Nordskog were, in fact, positive. If you were to take an issue by issue look at the tests, and say this one is positive and that is negative, over the years, that numbers also would
support that.

3. There is some truth (unfortunately) to the fact that the magazine (all magazines) have to, in one way or another, please their advertisers. This is how they (the mag) stays in business. PBM gives the builder options to remedy the problem before printing negative comments. I personally think this is a fair deal. You also have to take into account the fact that in this day and age, there really aren't a whole bunch of crappy boat builders out there. The bar is set high. This also has to do with my next point.

4. One major issue that PBM, as well as any other magazine, has to deal with is that they are at the mercy of the manufacturers when it comes to boat tests.

For example: PBM puts out an invite to all manufacturers that they are doing their 100 mph round up trials. It is up to the manufacturer what they send. No one ever knows which boats are going to show up and which ones wont.

So say you want to do a boat to boat comparison test with same power (like road and track does with cars), now you have to depend on the manufacturers to show (with the right boat/power), many times they fail to appear at the last minute, now you have no story.

My point being, PBM can not demand boats from the manufacturers like car mags do. the manufacturers send what they see fit. Or don't send boats at all. I hope that PBM can work in a few of these types of stories but it's going to be difficult with these types of restraints.

However, I assure you they are working on re-vamping their tests. Stay tuned, I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised. Keep the comments and suggestions coming.

T2x 07-21-2006 07:18 AM

IMHO......

I'd put me in it......

T2x