Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   best 28' ish boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/135527-best-28-ish-boat.html)

Jupiter Sunsation 07-19-2006 02:06 PM

Re: best 28' ish boat?

Originally Posted by thedonz
wave crusher 28 pantera ENOUGH said

mike

Panteras are cool but have a low freeboard and very questionable customer service/ delivery issues/ outstanding debt collections etc (all outlined here on OSO). Do you think this guy wants to hassle with all this for a Pantera that he may never see? I like that blue 36 they built but would be scared to do business with them until they get organized.

Call Joe at Sunsation or talk to Dave (Capt Dave) and you will never look back! A guy last month on here was between a new 30 OL or 32 SS............after 5-6 pages of opinions he bought the SS Sunsation and he too was a Baja owner.

Cattitude 07-19-2006 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Panteras are cool but have a low freeboard and very questionable customer service/ delivery issues/ outstanding debt collections etc (all outlined here on OSO). Do you think this guy wants to hassle with all this for a Pantera that he may never see? I like that blue 36 they built but would be scared to do business with them until they get organized.

Call Joe at Sunsation or talk to Dave (Capt Dave) and you will never look back! A guy last month on here was between a new 30 OL or 32 SS............after 5-6 pages of opinions he bought the SS Sunsation and he too was a Baja owner.

So are you saying a sunsation is more like a baja?? :drink:

Seriously- your scoop on Pantera is a bit flawed/Dated. Low freeboard compared to what? They are probably middle of the pack in the group of boats listed, + the sunken floor compliments the standing position in the bolsters.

There was some delivery issues a while back, mostly overdramatized by web boaters, customer service is/has been top notch. Many of the issues were tied to Hurricanes, family injuries etc. that said, they remain one on the slower custom builders vs some of the customs which are a bit closer to a production boat. Plenty of big name custom boats take a yr + to get. Either buy a good clean used boat and tweak it to your liking or order one with an eyes open contract with real delivery dates, incremental payments and penalties or escape clauses for delays- would you do any less buying a house?

gsmith9898 07-19-2006 02:26 PM

once you go cat, you won't go back. :evilb:

Jupiter Sunsation 07-19-2006 02:27 PM

Since when is a 28 with a single 525 a custom boat that should take a year?

There seems to be a lot of unhappy posts about the Panteras. Someone was on here last week trying to collect money. I like the brand but would be hesistant to build a boat with a company with so many unhappy stories regarding boats/delivery and MONEY$$.
Do they have a dealer network?
How many boats did they put in the water in the last 7 months?

Cattitude 07-19-2006 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by gsmith9898
once you go cat, you won't go back. :evilb:

Funny you say that... I did, or maybe I should say, my wife did:)

She lusted for the cabin (that's a good thing:)) the higher freeboard and carving corners. Me, I miss my 25 Daytona :drink:

Cattitude 07-19-2006 02:44 PM

Jup's- maybe you're a dealer, more familiar with larger companies of higher production capacity- I dunno.

I have worked in production and run shops- there is only so much a small family and a few employees can produce in a year and it is not uncommon to take a while for custom boats (any brand) based on backlog in house ahead of you and available manpower.

I won't speculate on your referenced recent post, but there are plenty of companies in the world that pay late or slow, sometimes there is more to the story about the product they were supposed to get from the party wanting payment

I frequent the Pantera forum every week, boats are being delivered, they are one of a kind customs and the owners are elated.

Sunsation and other larger companies produce a larger volume and floorplan them with dealers so instant gratification is availble to people if they prefer that over a higher level of customization etc. Some people like a bigmac and others like a whopper- what can i say. Sunsation is a nice boat with a good rep.

Lack of dealers is not a negative for me- and I worked for 5 yrs at a multiline dealership, so i know the biz.

Happy boating :drink:

Neverfastenuf 07-19-2006 02:52 PM

Activator????

Sam

Stormrider 07-19-2006 03:11 PM

Activator, Superboat, Joker, Extreme, and all the other sitdowns are out of the question.

If you need a wave crusher... I'd go Pantera or Saber. I think Saber is a bit bigger of a boat and I KNOW you can swing a good deal there. They're looking to get a new 28 out there and I can assure you they'll turn out one helluva machine.

But I think you may want something more than a 525.
Some custom power would be nice.

BTW, if you want an unbiased opinion, check w/ Laz Mesa, from MESA Balancing... he redid some engines from a 28 Saber and he was really impressed w/ the ride from that hull.

BODYSHOT1 07-19-2006 03:19 PM

..you can also go for a new 32' Sutphen... :cool:

they're built as singles now, but you'll probably need at least 600 ponies..

If you want a wave Crusher... :D

GOODT 07-19-2006 03:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by thedonz
it all depends what you want...if you are looking for a wave crusher and something that can go through anything ( in the 28ish range) then look no further then a 28 PANTERA, it won't be the fastest with a 525 but it will handle ANYTHING you throw at it, it will run in the 70's with a 525....now if want you want is top speed and you don't boat in choppy waters then go with a activator or superboat...they are known for speed and i also have heard they handle the chop pretty well.

Mike

if your looking at 28ish boats and are interested ina pantera I have one that has a custom built 510 blower mtr with less then 30 hrs on the mtr the boat needs a little tlc but the price is very right call me for details