Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   best 28' ish boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/135527-best-28-ish-boat.html)

Mentalpause 07-19-2006 05:42 PM

Re: best 28' ish boat?

Now that you are totally confused - go test drive some boats and take home the one that you like best. :cool:

TeamSaris 07-19-2006 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
I need a wave crusher....my lake is getting to be like LOTO during the weekends. I dont mind giving up top speed, but I would think most 28s with 500hp should be in the mid to high 70's....fine with me. Money isnt too much an issue in the boat size I am looking for, and after all I am going with a 525. Those velocity's are real nice, how do they take chop and large cruiser wake?

SUPERBOAT Y2K!!!! Best bang for the buck, wave crusher and over 70 with 496 ho. :cool:

Tony Montana 07-19-2006 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
SUPERBOAT Y2K!!!! Best bang for the buck, wave crusher and over 70 with 496 ho. :cool:

Yea but not to bash superboat but he said he wanted a better fit and finish. :rolleyes:

TeamSaris 07-19-2006 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Montana
Yea but not to bash superboat but he said he wanted a better fit and finish. :rolleyes:

Ummmm exactly a sb works perfectly. :)

CAP071 07-19-2006 07:52 PM

28 Sunsation

Factory support is REAL

You don't have to worry about them vanishing or not asnwering phones for a month or two.. Check them out

Chris Sunkin 07-19-2006 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by dave911
Save a few bucks over new and pick up a used Apache 28 with twins.

I can't believe it took 34 posts for this to come up. The Apache is about the only REAL offshore boat in the 28' range. I've run with one in 6's and it stayed right with us. It pushed water like a Cig 35. The majority of 28's are just big ski boats. If you want a comfortable lake boat, it probably doesn't matter what you buy. If you want a true 28' offshore boat that will run comfortably in slop, there's only one choice.

Steve_H 07-19-2006 08:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
I can't believe it took 34 posts for this to come up. The Apache is about the only REAL offshore boat in the 28' range. I've run with one in 6's and it stayed right with us. It pushed water like a Cig 35. The majority of 28's are just big ski boats. If you want a comfortable lake boat, it probably doesn't matter what you buy. If you want a true 28' offshore boat that will run comfortably in slop, there's only one choice.

have to agree. the boat can take more then your body can handle.

there is a new unrigged one at mel rigs that can be finished anyway you want it.

Gordo 07-19-2006 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
Those velocity's are real nice, how do they take chop and large cruiser wake?

They don't.

I've gone through a LOT of gas on TableRock. My grandparents live in Shell Knob on Needles Eye? or Needles point? or something like that.
Anyway, You've seen some exceptional boats suggested here. I've driven a lot of these boats, raced against and in quite a few, so here's my somewhat experienced opinion for what it's worth.
To start I would recommend you re-read post 49 again concerning length. It may help or hurt some makes. One of the most obvious would be the 29 Fountain. They are a beautiful boat, well built, well mannered and very fast, but since they are an actual waterline length of about 26.9 feet, they will NOT compare in rough water handling to the flat transom true length boats such as the 28 Active Thunder, 28 Pantera, 28 Joker or 28 Sabre. In fact, for absolute rough water, (I'm talking Lake Erie/Atlantic ocean rough), these 28's are your top four boats hands down. Of course my heart would be sold on the Active Thunder, but I may be biased.
Next in line would be the custom built Hotboats such as 29 Lavey Craft, the 28 Howard, the 29 Extreme, the 27 Activator, the 27 Kryptonite and the Y2K Superboat. True these are all sitdown boats, HOWEVER you'll find that the custom racing seats are great in rough water, and have become the way to go in the professional racing circuits. These boats are all very fast, very well built, and very stable. The downside to some of these boats would be somewhat limited cabin space and cockpit space, few amenities and a narrow beam.
Next would be the upper end production boats such as the 28 Sunsation, the 27 Donzi, the 29 Fountain, (forget the 27 Fountain), the 28 Nordic, and the 27 Formula.
These are all great boats that will do anything you want to do on TableRock. They all hold their value very well, well built and have respectable speeds with stock power. Of all the boats mentioned above the Sunsation folks are probably hands down THE best in the business for customer satisfaction and support. I don't know about the speeds for the Formula or the Donzi, but the Fountain is a good speed runner, while the Nordic is a great ride. Each boat has its strong points, and some have a few weak points. The fun is finding which applies to your application.
I have a few manufacturers in mind that I would absolutely stay away from. I would rather you e-mail me for that list, or better yet, feel free to call me at your convenience.
Best of luck on your search,
Mike "Gordo" Gordon
(913) 485-3151

cosmic12 07-19-2006 10:21 PM

Gordo!!! you are the man.! well put and explained Itried but just not as good as you, great job

raytart 07-19-2006 10:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've got a 2005 Nordic Heat closed bow with 525 xr/its and dana tabs. Boat rides good and does 78 gps on the waters of Long Island. I'm still playing the prop game and I think I'll hit 80. Colors are all done in the Gel coat and the fit and finish is excellent. No issues to date. There's also a new owner of Nordic and from what I understand he's taking the quality even further. Best of luck with your choice.
Check out Tri-State Performance Marine. (www.t-spm.com) He is the Nordic dealer that I deal with. His name is Paul. He has a web site that is advertised on OSO. It pops up to the left of the forum windows.