Old 07-19-2006, 10:59 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: best 28' ish boat?

Originally Posted by Gordo
They don't.

I've gone through a LOT of gas on TableRock. My grandparents live in Shell Knob on Needles Eye? or Needles point? or something like that.
Anyway, You've seen some exceptional boats suggested here. I've driven a lot of these boats, raced against and in quite a few, so here's my somewhat experienced opinion for what it's worth.
To start I would recommend you re-read post 49 again concerning length. It may help or hurt some makes. One of the most obvious would be the 29 Fountain. They are a beautiful boat, well built, well mannered and very fast, but since they are an actual waterline length of about 26.9 feet, they will NOT compare in rough water handling to the flat transom true length boats such as the 28 Active Thunder, 28 Pantera, 28 Joker or 28 Sabre. In fact, for absolute rough water, (I'm talking Lake Erie/Atlantic ocean rough), these 28's are your top four boats hands down. Of course my heart would be sold on the Active Thunder, but I may be biased.
Next in line would be the custom built Hotboats such as 29 Lavey Craft, the 28 Howard, the 29 Extreme, the 27 Activator, the 27 Kryptonite and the Y2K Superboat. True these are all sitdown boats, HOWEVER you'll find that the custom racing seats are great in rough water, and have become the way to go in the professional racing circuits. These boats are all very fast, very well built, and very stable. The downside to some of these boats would be somewhat limited cabin space and cockpit space, few amenities and a narrow beam.
Next would be the upper end production boats such as the 28 Sunsation, the 27 Donzi, the 29 Fountain, (forget the 27 Fountain), the 28 Nordic, and the 27 Formula.
These are all great boats that will do anything you want to do on TableRock. They all hold their value very well, well built and have respectable speeds with stock power. Of all the boats mentioned above the Sunsation folks are probably hands down THE best in the business for customer satisfaction and support. I don't know about the speeds for the Formula or the Donzi, but the Fountain is a good speed runner, while the Nordic is a great ride. Each boat has its strong points, and some have a few weak points. The fun is finding which applies to your application.
I have a few manufacturers in mind that I would absolutely stay away from. I would rather you e-mail me for that list, or better yet, feel free to call me at your convenience.
Best of luck on your search,
Mike "Gordo" Gordon
(913) 485-3151

WOW, Well put (and without bashing or hurting any ones feelings). I'll take a copy of your "do not buy list". Could you send it to me I am following this thread closely because I am also going to be in the market for a similar boat in the near future.

[email protected]

BTW: Is there a quick resource to get comparative pricing on these boats?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

29 Lavey Craft or 28 Howard

29 Lavey:
I have had this boat twice it's so good. If you're looking for something with a proven hull....look at who is racing in the F1 class. Lavey Craft is strong and competitive. I recently put ours up for sale....my family really wants the 38 size again.

Twin 500 efi's for 104k....true length is 30'5"...and this is no "sit down" boat. Spacious cockpit, drop down bolsters, great cabin with sink...Vberth and two lounges.
1999 Powerboat offshore boat of the year
2004 Winner of the Worlds in F1 class
another Powerboat award in 2005

Good luck...and run everything you are looking at.

Chris
323 864 8332
Attached Thumbnails best 28' ish boat?-laveyidle.jpg  

Last edited by Schweeng; 07-20-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Schweeng
29 Lavey Craft

I have had this boat twice it's so good. If you're looking for something with a proven hull....look at who is racing in the F1 class. Lavey Craft is strong and competitive. I recently put ours up for sale....my family really wants the 38 size again.

Twin 500 efi's for 104k....true length is 30'5"...and this is no "sit down" boat. Spacious cockpit, drop down bolsters, great cabin with sink...Vberth and two lounges.
1999 Powerboat offshore boat of the year
2004 Winner of the Worlds in F1 class
another Powerboat award in 2005

Good luck...and run everything you are looking at.

Chris
323 864 8332
this 29' Lavey is a good-looking and good running boat...
I see it on Lake Havasu often
Old 07-20-2006, 07:08 AM
Registered

Since we cannot compare quality and performance over the web, we are left with only 'BEST LOOKIN". So how about everyone post two of the best boat images and let the OSO membership call it out.

This boat has been mentioned before… It is cored and bagged throughout and entirely built to customer specifications the outboard version runs low 90’s with 500’ish HP. and we expect the 525hp to be a little better… It is a true 28’6” bow to stern with a very sharp entry dead rise.

Check out the website: www.tuffmarine.com

Here are a couple of videos for you enjoyment…

http://media.putfile.com/Tuff28MaidVoy

http://media.putfile.com/T28secondDay
Old 07-20-2006, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
What is the best boat to buy in the 27-29' foot range? Power will be a 525. I like sunsation, donzi, and fountain....I currently own a baja. Dock space, $$$, and single engine power are limiting my options to no more than 29'. What do people like? The more I see these sunsation boats, the more i like.
I'll be down at loto starting this saturday for for 5 days. I would be happy to give you a ride in my eliminator daytona 27 with the 525efi. It eats up table rock!
Old 07-20-2006, 07:42 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rotorhead
Since we cannot compare quality and performance over the web, we are left with only 'BEST LOOKIN". So how about everyone post two of the best boat images and let the OSO membership call it out.
Thats a fine looking boat... but this 28 takes the cake.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:47 AM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

The earlier Nordic 28' Heat suggestion is a good one.
I have no complaints with mine -- and still think the styling and performance of the Heat makes for a very strong comparison for some other purpose-built East Coast builders.

I2D
Old 07-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Gordo is correct in his last post. I'd would like to point out that the 272 Forula is only a 24.6" boat. I've measrued a few of them back when I was with APBA. Unfortuantly you want a single engine boat so that knocks the nice 292 Formula out of this.

What you really have to decide is do you want a go-fast boat that you could care less about cabin space and that you will never sleep on on do you need a nice cabin with a sink, facing coaches and V-berth bed? That decision will narrow the field a whole lot.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:56 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Also, do you like the look of the modern sport boat or old school look.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Thats a fine looking boat... but this 28 takes the cake.
Ill second that

Quick Reply: best 28' ish boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.