Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   best 28' ish boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/135527-best-28-ish-boat.html)

tblrklakemo 07-18-2006 09:09 PM

best 28' ish boat?

What is the best boat to buy in the 27-29' foot range? Power will be a 525. I like sunsation, donzi, and fountain....I currently own a baja. Dock space, $$$, and single engine power are limiting my options to no more than 29'. What do people like? The more I see these sunsation boats, the more i like.

SOX 07-18-2006 09:13 PM

Re: best 28' ish boat?

just curious, why not another Baja? All three brands you named are quality boats. How about an 28 Active thunder a 271 Formula.

tblrklakemo 07-18-2006 09:21 PM

Not real excited with the fit and finish of the baja. Little stuff really. I am curious about AT....dont know anything about them. I should have added formula to the list.

tblrklakemo 07-18-2006 09:22 PM

Oh yeah...thank you for your service.

UNSANE 07-18-2006 09:24 PM

I have a 525 powered Fountain 29 and love it! I think the Donzi 28ZX's came in twins (smallblock) mostly. Now they just put out a new 27 ZR and are claiming 70 on the "little" 496. I saw one at the Miami boat show and had the Fountain deal not already been pretty much sealed, I might of went with that. A 525 in that would be sick. The only real thing "wrong" with the Fountain is the actual running surface length because of the beak and platform so my 29 would be about the same size as the new Donzi. Sunsations are very good boats as well. BMC here in Orlando had one I was looking at (288). But I finally settled on my current one and am very happy with its offshore performance. Check out that new Donzi though!! Good Luck!

cosmic12 07-18-2006 09:25 PM

after a couple years of looking with about the same needs as you I got me a 28 Active Thunder. custom build as you want it. will handle just about any rough water you can through at it and feels like a much bigger boat than it is. It is a true 28 ft boat no swim deck in the measurement. Very deep free board true 24 degree bottom. you should ck em out.

tblrklakemo 07-18-2006 09:53 PM

excellent.....I really like the fountain product too. Table Rock Lake isnt nearly as rough as LOTO, but it gets bad. I wonder if the fountain running surface deficit causes much of a problem compared to an AT or a sunsation?

cosmic12 07-18-2006 10:00 PM

I will put my 28 w 525 agenst anybodys 28 27 29 and even some 30s in the rough anytime. I have been parked next to 32 fountians and my 28 is a bigger boat. cabin/ cockpit/ freeboard ect ect. but it's all in what you want. just my 2cts good luck with what ever you buy

cosmic12 07-18-2006 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by TRICK
There's some really nice boats being built by smaller manufacturers too. Kryptonite, Activator, Superboat Adrenaline, Dave Wardley's Extremes, Saber and I'm forgetting a bunch more.

Point being, that some of the best boats may not be mainstream, high profile boats.

Take your time, look at as many boats as possible and enjoy the process.

Good Luck!

that is a fact more than 1/2 the fun is in the looking and talking to other people. have fun with it

gsmith9898 07-18-2006 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
excellent.....I really like the fountain product too. Table Rock Lake isnt nearly as rough as LOTO, but it gets bad. I wonder if the fountain running surface deficit causes much of a problem compared to an AT or a sunsation?

I'm heading to table rock this weekend for 5 days. Love that lake. Very clean. Have you ever thought about a cat?